I done did it... first cruise

mcathig

I booked...first cruise..... My mother always wanted to try one so I figured if she was going to go better be soon (she is 70). I chose the Gem to Bermuda. May 29th, b/c we have been to the carabbean (we have done 10+ AI's.. (Sandals, Secrets, Excelence, we were married at Couples Ochi), figured if I was going to try a cruise whay go where we have been? Bermuda is an out of the way destination.

Me and hubby booked decked 10 balcony.... Mom and Step-dad deck 8 obstructed.....

I'm a bit nervous, as 1. I was seasick on the crossing (English channel)..

2. I am not sure how this will campare to an AI. 3. Children are allowed.. we normally go to adults only resorts.

Any words of wisdom would be appredciated

You'll have a great time mcathig! :)

Take some Bonine for the seasickness (start a day before you leave) it works wonders for my Mom.

I've never done an AI so I will others speak to that.

I didn't notice any big kid problems or being bothered by kids on either of my previous cruises. My Mom is older and I know if it would have been noisy etc from kids it would have bothered her as well and she had no problems. Maybe since you are going in May some kids will still be in school too.

Have a wonderful time!!

I agree, start taking Bonine the night before your cruise, and keep taking it every night through the night after your cruise. (Some people feel like they're still on the ship for the first day or two back on land, and this helps prevent that.) Taking it at night helps if you're prone to it making you feel tired.

Also, consider getting the spa pass. This allows you access to the spa relaxation area, thermal pool area, and sauna/steam rooms. I think the Gem has the heated tile loungers too. This is a relaxing adults only area. You can tour the facilities on embarkation afternoon, before you decide if you want to buy the pass. It's less expensive to buy a pass for the week. Do that the night you board as they sometimes sell out. Couples passes are usually discounted. (If you're husband isn't interested, maybe your mom would be.)

Welcome to cruising and your newest addiction!

The crossing is always rough, you will probably not experience that type of choppiness...take everyone's suggestion and start your anti motion sickness meds early, the night before or even before that. I swear by GINGER GUM to cure symptoms immediately, it works miracles.

Getting the spa pass is also a good suggestion. It is a great space, quiet and relaxing and very private.

I've done AIs in Mexico and Jamaica and have been very dissapointed in the food. I think you will be very happy with the quality of service and meals on a cruise. Dining on a cruise is an event...

We loved Bermuda, it is laid back, pretty, and the people are LOVELY. Little to no crime, easy public transportation, AND it is so close...We visited Warwick Long Beach because we had heard that they had the pinkest sand. We also visited Jobson's Cove which was beautiful! On our last day we visited Black Bay, close to the pier, and filled zip lock bags full of sea glass and pottery shards...it was lots of fun!

A tip...the sail back to the US from Bermuda was much choppier than getting there, since we took 2 days to get there and the trip back took 1 day...I don't know the itinerary for the Gem, but if it is the same, start your meds again before the ship leaves Bermuda, you will need it...

Enjoy your cruise!

I also got VERY seasick crossing the English Channel, but that was on a smaller ship. I've never had any problems on cruise ships. The spa is a great idea, my favorite spot on board. Enjoy your cruise, you'll love it.

You will LOVE it....we've also done AI. Lately it's either AI or cruise and we prefer cruise because without pack/unpack/drag luggage, we still get to go to lots of places...next cruise for us is Panama Canal. First was in Caribbean on NCL and we were sold!! What's the same? Do what you want when you want with lots of choices. What's different? no beach, smaller physical area. You are on a ship not a resort. The rooms are compact. Livable but not resort especially the bathrooms. If you want more space or more perks, book suites. What we love is being on the ocean.....water 24/7. We also adore the spa. On embarkation day, go to the spa open house and get the full cruise package which allows entry to the spa anytime...the views are breathtaking; the atmosphere is quiet and relaxing....and it solves the bathroom problem as there are plenty of showers and space to dress. ENJOY!!! :)

Archived