Car Rentals in San Pedro

Looking at driving down to San Pedro for Mariner cruise. Does anyone know which car rental offices are in the San Pedro office -- and can they get me from their office to the pier by shuttle? I'm considering a one-way rental from home and dropping in San Pedro -- so I don't pay the rental while I'm on the ship. And then - picking the car back up for the drive home. Thanks for any advice!

The only one I have seen mentioned on this board is Enterprise. You need to call to make a reservation with a drop off in a different location than pick up. I think they might be in the Crowne Plaza and you just use their shuttle to get to the ship--but others will know.

If it's Sunday when your cruise leaves, Enterprise is closed on Sunday's. That was the problem we had. So we are going to take a taxi to Long Beach airport and rent from Hertz and they will give us a credit for the cab to use towards the rental.

If it's Sunday when your cruise leaves, Enterprise is closed on Sunday's. That was the problem we had. So we are going to take a taxi to Long Beach airport and rent from Hertz and they will give us a credit for the cab to use towards the rental.

The Enterprise in San Pedro is located in the bldg adjacent to the Crowne Plaza. The sign on the door says that they are open from 9-noon on Sundays. The website has the same info. http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/deeplinkmap.do?gpbr=32D6&bid=004&cnty=US

Enterprise will drive you to the port. Another option returning your car at the Doubletree hotel (they have a program where Enterprise will come and pick up your car) and take the hotel shuttle to the port.

Be forwarned that there is a decent surcharge for one way rentals with Enterprise.

I was told the one way charge is $40.00 for Enterprise. The 800 number will tell you can not do this. The local people told me when you pick up your car tell them you what to drop it off at the Doubletree and they will add $40.00, with no problems.

• 5 months later...
I was told the one way charge is $40.00 for Enterprise. The 800 number will tell you can not do this. The local people told me when you pick up your car tell them you what to drop it off at the Doubletree and they will add $40.00, with no problems.

Just curious if you've tried this... I'm thinking about doing so, however, I really dislike the uncertainty of not knowing until I pick up the car (LGB)...or worse, they jack the rate up to the one-way rate when requesting to drop the car in San Pedro and you're at their mercy because that is the only car you've reserved. Maybe I'm too paranoid :o

You need to make arrangements with the local office as we did last April. Not only was there $40 drop off fee but the cars were more expensive than say a roundtrip from LAX. We paid more for our one day pick up from Enterprise from San Pedro; drop off LAX than for three days precruise LAX roundtrip. But when you factor in the ease of renting car at near port (no shuttles fees as there was a free Enterprise van) and little time we had to sightsee our last day; it was worth it. We then dropped off car at LAX enterprise and the bus driver was nice enough to let us off at our hotel (Radisson) prior to taking everyone to the airport. We also dropped off the luggage at the hotel prior.

• 3 weeks later...

I called Enterprise for rate for 3 day rental, pick up LAX, return San Pedro, cost $235 for economy car. I asked how much to rent at LAX and return LAX and they quoted my $85. I then asked why the drop off fee was $40 but the difference was actually $150 and she said one way rental rates are different than return rental fees. Well to save I rented from Alamo for $60 for a better car for the same 3 days and will put up with the hassle of a shuttle from LAX to San Pedro for $28 (for 2). Total savings of $147. I believe that savings is worth the hassle. Some competition in this area is needed to keep the prices reasonable IMHO.

I am afraid that your experience is much similar to experiences that I have had with them and now give them a wide berth. I have been able to rent an Avis car in Long Beach and drive it back here to AZ without any drop charge...go figure.

Archived