Back from Antarctica

wsiegel

I'm recently back from the Antarctic cruise on Explorer II. It was an incredible experience, one that will be difficult to surpass. The combination of outstanding service, wonderful food, and compelling scenery made for a thoroughly enjoyable trip.

The ship itself was in fine condition, although certainly somewhat less luxurious than other Radisson ships. My parents had sailed on the ship when it was the Minerva, and thought it had been well-maintained. Its size and fine facilities were more than adequate for this expedition trip, although I wished that my stateroom had been larger and had had a full window instead of two portholes.

Having done a fair amount of reading prior to leaving, I had been concerned about the Drake Passage. While the captain reported at times that the sea swells were 12 - 18', the winds were relatively calm and none of us in my group of four had any difficulty with the crossing; we certainly saw lots of people wearing patches, and heard of some who had had some problems. Even the captain told us one morning he had not been able to sleep the previous night because of the ship's pitching and rolling.

The four and a half days spent cruising in Antartica itself were most enjoyable and each days' excursions were extremely well organized. We generally went out twice a day, unless weather precluded a zodiac landing. I had followed recommendations about clothing and gear, so the temperature was not a problem -- in fact, ironically it was colder in Arkansas than where we were on several days. What I was not expecting, though, was how arduous the entire routine of dressing, getting into a zodiac, and participating in activities on shore would become. I enjoyed it, but it was quite tiring, and by the end of our time in Antartica I was ready to head back.

The naturalists, guides, and expedition leaders were all wonderful, and the programs they presented were extremely well done. On shore, they were soenthusiastic about the geography, history, and wildlife of Antartica that it was impossible not to be affected by their love of this continent.

I have cruised on only one other Radisson ship, but have been on a number of other ships. The service on this cruise could not have been better. Someone was always offering to bring something to the table, servers always offered even more food, and any and all requests were eagerly fulfilled. I have never encountered so many staff members who knew my name, and who took the time to talk with me and try to anticipate my needs. I was also struck by how many staff members seemed genuinely happy.

We thoroughly enjoyed the food on this cruise. I thought it was as good, if not better, than any food I have had on any other cruise, often rivaling a good land-based restaurant. I was particularly impressed, given the logistical problems of supplying the ship in Ushuaia. The only minor disappointment for me was that I thought the desserts looked wonderful, but did not taste as good as they looked.

If there was one negative, it would involve the air/sea arrangements made by Radisson. A number of people missed connecting flights and some people never did get their luggage before the cruise ended. Some of us wound up sleeping in the Atlanta airport, and I believe at least one person never did make it to the trip. Considering the difficulty in getting to Ushuaia and the limited number of flights to the pre-cruise city of Santiago, I felt that Radisson should have been more cautious about the air arrangements they made.

I would be happy to answer any questions about this cruise.

Thanks for your report. I have been waiting for someone to post on the trip. I know another person the first trip who also reported almost exactly what you did. I have been to Antartica and you cannot help but love the entire experience. Last year the food was reported to not be good but it appears that this year they have improved that. Good to hear. I do agree pulling on all the clothing, the boots etc it is a tiring experience. As much as I loved it the length of the cruise is just right in my opinion.

They have multiple possible landing sites but they always do land on the Antarctica Peninsula because many people want to step foot on the continent. When we went the weather was fabulous so we were able to land basically wherever we wanted. It was the best trip I have ever taken.

On our cruise this year we were able to make one landing on the Antarctic peninsula. I know they had hoped for at least one, and perhaps two other landings. As Ngaire suggested, the actual itinerary is totally dependent on environmental conditions, so the times we left on "excursions" varied from day to day; I always had the feeling that the expedition leaders and the captain himself were clearly trying to maximize our opportunity to see a variety of scenery and wildlife.

I had read of some of the disappointment with the food last year. I do know that this year, Radisson had its corporate chef on board the cruise. Both the variety and quality of the meals were outstanding.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the 1/26 cruise, flying from BA and returning from Santiago. Judging from wsiegel's description of the Drake Passage experience, we were on different cruises. On ours, the southbound passage was like Drake Lake, absolutely calm. This lulled us into a false sense of complacency, because the northbound return was much "livelier"==two days of gale-force winds and seas up to 35'. I was delighted at being able to experience both extremes. Weather in Antarctica itself was quite mild, even occasionally sunny.

Our trip made the following landings: Brown Bluff (Peninsula), Argentinian base at Hope Bay (Peninsula), Half Moon Island, Yankee Harbour (Greenwich Island), Neko Harbour (Peninsula), Cuverville Island, and Deception Island. We were unable to land at Point Wild on Elephant Island due to katabatic winds and at South Bay on Livingston Island due to excessive swell.

My favorite site was Yankee Harbour. In addition to the usual assortment of endlessly diverting penguins, there were a bunch of skuas bathing in a small lake, and several non-inert fur seals. Documentary photos and videos eventually to follow.

I was also entirely pleased with ship, staff, logistics, and food (and price, with only 10% single supplement). Only major disappointment was failure to see the elusive Southern Polar Bear.

SteveBear, funny I found your post, as I come here not so often. Dying to see your report and your pictures. Please post them! Oh, the new rules, can I tell you where to post them for others to enjoy that I know would love to see them?

• 4 weeks later...

Wsiegel,

We just booked the ExplorerII for the first of Radisson's two Antarctic trips next January. It'll also be our first "Radisson" cruise, although we realize Explorer II isn't one of their regular ships. I read somewhere that an earlier Explorer cruise to Antarctica was cancelled - do you know why?

Were you provided waterproof boots or did you have to bring your own?

Any other tips you can think of will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks Steve,

What's the electrical outlet situation in the B deck cabins? I'll need to charge my digital camera batteries.

Also looking forward to your pictures.

Thanks

IIRC, the outlets were 220 volts. I seem to recall that there was an adapter available, but I can't be certain. My battery charger utilizes either 110 or 220, so I did not need a converter.

Before the cruise, you are sent an information sheet on which you indicate your jacket and boot sizes. Your boots and jacket will be in your stateroom upon arrival. They set aside some time to exchange jackets and boots if you need another size, although they don't guarantee to have a different size available.

wsiegel,

Thanks for the information. My charger also can use 110 and 220 but I'll probably need an adapter. Perhaps the pre-cruise info will mention which one. I have an adapter kit, but one is missing - that's probably the one I'll need. We're glad we don't have to buy boots we'd probably never use again.

We have cruises booked for July-August and Nov.-Dec. but the one I'm looking forward to the most is Antarctica next January.

The current is 220V. The outlet, somewhat surprisingly, isn't the typical two round plug European style, but rather the grounded UK type, with three thick rectangular prongs in a triangle pattern. This is probably due to the ship's having started life as Swan's original Minerva. I believe, though, that adapters were provided as well.

Archived