Plus size - post pictures of your dresses please

mollymoo12

OK, I want this dress from Avenue: http://www.avenue.com/clothing/Sequined-Blouson-Cold-Shoulder-Dress.aspx?PfId=349863&DeptId=22430&ProductTypeId=1

This would be PERFECT for my NYE cruise!!! It has sleeves, which are a must for me. But it's $98 and I will probably never wear it again :( I guess I'll wait for a sale or try to find something else.

Good things come to those who wait. :D Got this deeply discounted (off course the S&H and tax added $10 back but I'm satisfied with the price). Thinking this could also do double duty for a Gatsby-theme party that I'm going to in January. Score!

I am more or less borderline plus size. I wear a size 12 on the bottom, but I'm quite chest heavy, so I wear a 16 in shirts. Since most dresses don't really allow for larger cup sizes, I try a lot of plus sizes on as well as misses sizes.

I recently purchased a dress as Dressbarn. I ended up buying a regular 16, but I wanted to post a picture of it since it is also available in plus sizes. It was $70.00 but I had a 25% off coupon. I plan to wear it on my next cruise on Valentine's Day.

IMG_1366.jpg

I ordered this from cold water creek. it is suppose to arrive tomorrow.

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/product-detail/63044/69770/taffeta-occasion-dress.aspx?colorid=077&refLink=misses-dresses.aspx

I hope it fits because I just checked and its sold out in plus size.

if anyone is in New Orleans and they want to check out a really nice plus size boutique in the french quarter , it is called voluptuous vixen. A little pricey but they have some great dresses.

http://www.thevoluptuousvixen.com

OK, I got the navy sequin dress from Avenue but it makes me look very thick in the middle. I don't know why Avenue always insists on adding an elastic waistband to their dresses! So not flattering. It's also itchy (which is probably par for the course with sequins).

I went to my local Avenue and tried on the gold dress that I almost ordered last week. It looks better than in the photo. I would still pair it with silver shoes for NYE (gold/silver combo) but I just wonder where I could wear it again. The material is cheapish but the color/sparkle make up for it I guess.

I also ordered the black dress. *sigh* I know it's another boring black dress, but I'm still looking for that perfect black dress that's comfy, dressy enough to go anywhere (with just different accessories). I was able to get both online at Avenue for under $65 with S&H and tax. *crossing fingers*

Navy.jpg.d950306cd744505c3d69721b8f596625.jpg

Gold.jpg.8d01904ffb10d2709b92760c13ba235a.jpg

black.jpg.db139b424b246cfe7a30775d42e5a6af.jpg

All of your dresses are very pretty.

I really like the black dress, because as you say it is a go any where dress. And it is a classic style and will last you for years.

Thanks! I hope it's flattering. It looks good on the model (who actually looks like she's plus size) so there's hope.

Check out Ross......they have some really nice dresses

I also browse through Ross on a regular basis and although there are a lot of cheap, crimplene, nylon or stretchy type dresses you can find nice dresses by the likes of Kasper, DVF, Calvin Klein and others if you are lucky. The better ones are normally in the price range of $50-$80 where we are. They have many other dresses from $30 and below, many at just $19.99.

I lived in the Far East for a few years in my mid/late 20s and I used to get an evening gown or cocktail dress made every month as my job had many formal evenings. They were beautifully made and very reasonable. I just wish they still fitted me 15 years on ....lol

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

I didn't like the dress from Coldwater Creek. It will not travel well and will need to be sent to be pressed since it is tafetta so I am bringing this instead. The one I have is black.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/alex-evenings-jeweled-ruched-jersey-dress-plus/3249412?origin=category&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=0

One of the best "investment" (and I mean this sincerely) I ever made was to buy a pair of evening pants (black/chiffony material). I've since paired them with sequined tops, metallic sweaters, beaded jackets, etc. It's relatively inexpensive to change my look without having to spend a fortune.

One of the best "investment" (and I mean this sincerely) I ever made was to buy a pair of evening pants (black/chiffony material). I've since paired them with sequined tops, metallic sweaters, beaded jackets, etc. It's relatively inexpensive to change my look without having to spend a fortune.

That is a popular look, I see many a lady doing just this.

I have always liked black flowing trousers. I don't wear them on the cruises as I prefer dresses but would around town so to speak, and I think as long as you are not 2 foot nothing it should be a staple in most ladies wardrobes as they are so versatile.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd share: I found a dress on HSN and have ordered it in 3 colors now (black, red and purple). It's the Tiana B Perfect Pick Peasant dress. Although it looks shapeless and boring, it looks GREAT on, especially if you're curvy. It falls very well to hide things that need hiding, if you know what I mean. It can be dressed up or dressed down. I even wore the black one to church last Sunday. It covers my arms and falls at the knee. I'm wearing the red one to a concert on Saturday. I'm thinking these will be my dinner/show/club dresses on my upcoming cruise. It's on clearance for $19.90.

http://www.hsn.com/fashion/tiana-b-perfect-pick-solid-peasant-dress_p-6753973_xp.aspx?ocm=sekw|best%20sellers&cm_re=merchzone_carousel*page1_spot1_image*merchzones

Edited by JetSet2B

found in Fall of '06, of the carwash type......has morphed, dk brown, navy, cream and tan. Black have probably joined me on about all of my last 50 cruzes..also have a long blk skirt, red, lav, purple, dk grn..lots of tops camis and jackets. Black pants ROCK !

Okay...let's try this again. A little cocktail dress I found at TK Maxx (cheap, cheap, cheap!) to wear to the company Christmas party and our cruise in January. This was taken when we got home from the party, so I'm a little shop-worn...

Sorry...they've changed photobucket and I can't figure out how to get an image that isn't huge!!

Edited by Milaandra

• 2 weeks later...
Okay...let's try this again. A little cocktail dress I found at TK Maxx (cheap, cheap, cheap!) to wear to the company Christmas party and our cruise in January. This was taken when we got home from the party, so I'm a little shop-worn...

Sorry...they've changed photobucket and I can't figure out how to get an image that isn't huge!!

I personally like the big images. You can see the dress better ;)

I would like to see it but no photo or link for me!

BTW, ArkHillbilly, yu are now my new hero and role model; you always look so happy and confident.

Thanks....I do feel confident when I dress up and I am on a cruise, so of course I am happy...LOL...:D

Kathy

Edited by arhillbilly

Thanks....I do feel confident when I dress up and I am on a cruise, so of course I am happy...LOL...:D

Kathy

You have some nice formal dresses in the other thread. I need to keep my eye out for something nice. I have a formal coming up in January!

I straddle + size and non plus since I am bottom heavy. I have this from Eloquii in both sizes (14). It runs TTS if not a little big.

23283001_244.jpg

I recently got this from Asos Curve but it is going back beause it is running small and short.

image1xxl.jpg

I like dresses from Kiyonna but they don't work for me as they tend to have too match fabric that just hangs in the wrong place.

• 2 weeks later...
I have found two of my formal dresses at Ross as well - and it's on my list to hit there sometime soon!

And I just did!!! Found two dresses - and I was planning on re-wearing a dress or making one formal night more casual with a dressy shirt and dress pants.

I took a photo of one of them, on the hanger to show a friend. The 2nd dress needs Spanx and maybe about 10 more lbs :) I've lost 15, the cruise is 2 months away so my goal is 15 more.

The 2nd dress was hung up in the wrong size, inside out on the hanger but once I looked at it was EXACTLY what I wanted! Just goes to show a little digging is what is needed at times! The first one was in the clearance, sheds a glitter a bit and needs to be taken in - I'm going to have to sleep on it a bit.

8370292667_791083afa9.jpg

IMG_1621 by MurpheyTX, on Flickr

This was $20.99 - it's a magenta color. The glitter is in a feather type pattern with some mirrored sequins along with the glitter. It is a perfect length, and needs just a few alterations (straps mostly, a little tucking in under bust.

The second dress I don't have a photo, but it's cream on top, navy banding on the bottom with a purple sequin border in the middle. Chiffon sleeves. I am in love with it and will get a photo up soon! It was $17.99!

Edited by murfturf
photo didn't show up