Another Question About Wine

mitaha

I know this has to be on these boards somewhere but for the life of me, I cannot find it. :o My family will be going on the Carnival Legend in a few weeks and I was thinking about bringing some wine to have with dinner. I was wondering about the corkage fee. I know that if you consume it in the dining room there is a corkage fee of $10 and the steakhouse is $14 but my question is, do they charge you the corkage fee everynight that you drink it or just a one time charge when the bottle is opened for the first time? (assuming we dont finish it the at the first dinner). :confused:

I know this has to be on these boards somewhere but for the life of me, I cannot find it. :o My family will be going on the Carnival Legend in a few weeks and I was thinking about bringing some wine to have with dinner. I was wondering about the corkage fee. I know that if you consume it in the dining room there is a corkage fee of $10 and the steakhouse is $14 but my question is, do they charge you the corkage fee everynight that you drink it or just a one time charge when the bottle is opened for the first time? (assuming we dont finish it the at the first dinner). :confused:

When they open the wine the first time in the dining room, there will be a corkage charge (sometimes they charge you, sometimes they don't). They will "tag" and hold the unfinished bottle (if you request) for the next nite (no charge for holding, no charge for re-opening). You're "Allowed" to bring one bottle wine/champagne per age 21+ in your carry-on luggage. ken

We were only charged a corkage fee by our server for one or two nights and we had several nights bringing our own bottle in to the MDR . I have also heard from others it seems to be loose on the fee - some servers charge each time, some less. A simple solution to the open bottle storing issue would be to finish the bottle or share with some table mates ;)

Thank you all for your quick responses! I'm also assuming that I will bring the bottle with me to the dining room the first night, or maybe deliver it to the Dining room ahead of time....Not real sure how that part is supposed to work either! But I feel very confident that some of you will be more than happy to help me with this as well. :rolleyes:

On our last cruise our waiter told us that if my husband carried the bottle so that the Maitre D could not see it when we walked in the dining room, he would not have to charge us the corkage fee. I had never heard of that one before. We do bring a bottle to dinner a couple of nights on our cruises and we order wine at dinner the other nights. If you do not finish the bottle one night they will have the rest waiting for you the next night and they only charge you for one corkage fee.

Just carry your wine bottle with you to MDR and set it on your table. They all know what to do from there. You will know if you are charged the corkage fee that night if you are asked to sign a bill before leaving dinner.

last cruise we just carried the bottle in with us. I got a few looks from people waiting to seat, but the waiter took it and opened it, without a problem.

we had a bottle of something everynight; champagne, red wine or a chilled white that we bought from them, and we never were charged a corking fee

Our cruise sails tomorrow, and we are planning on bringing two bottles of wine. Would we be able to open the bottle in our room and enjoy a glass there before and after dinner? Or is someone going to confiscate our wine opener? Also, am I clear, that if we were able to open the bottle ourselves, we would be able to come into the dining room with our glasses of wine? I don't think it would look that odd, just like we were coming from the bar with our drinks. We would like to avoid the corkage fee as the bottles of wine are already bought and paid for, and we are quite capable of opening it ourselves.:)

last cruise we just carried the bottle in with us. I got a few looks from people waiting to seat, but the waiter took it and opened it, without a problem.

Those were looks of jealousy as they ordeedr an $8 bottle of wine for $32. ;)

A table near ours noticed my bottle with me one evening at the bar right before dinner and when we were seated in the MDR, I went over and offered a small glass with them as they were interested in the Australian Syraz I had carried in.

Our cruise sails tomorrow, and we are planning on bringing two bottles of wine. Would we be able to open the bottle in our room and enjoy a glass there before and after dinner? Or is someone going to confiscate our wine opener? Also, am I clear, that if we were able to open the bottle ourselves, we would be able to come into the dining room with our glasses of wine? I don't think it would look that odd, just like we were coming from the bar with our drinks. We would like to avoid the corkage fee as the bottles of wine are already bought and paid for, and we are quite capable of opening it ourselves.:)

That is what we do and never had a problem.

Yes, you can open your own bottle of wine, drink it pretty much anywhere, and carry your glass into the dining room. It will not look odd. I've seen many people carry drinks into the dining room and I've done it too.

That is exactly what we do--we ask our room steward for 2 wine glasses. Have a glass each in the cabin before dinner and then FILL the wine glasses and bring them into the MDR with us. Would be the same thing if you ordered a glass from the bar and came into dinner with it

We bought bottles in the MDR the first few nights. By the end of the week, we somehow hadn't gone through our personal stash that we brought on, so we took them to dinner. I expected the corkage fee the last two nights, but it didn't happen. She just opened it and poured.

Archived