Oasis - Royal Connect / WOW phones

• 1 month later...
I have read on here (thanks, everyone) that the phones get snapped up very quickly. When we first board the ship, where do we go to get the phones?

You get the phones at the Jazz Club (I think it's deck 4). We were onboard by about 11:45 and I immediately went there to get our phones. I was the first one there and they were just getting ready to start distributing them. I must say they worked out beautifully for DH and me. We had a problem one day when somehow the phone locked in on the wrong wireless network (don't know if it was something I did inadvertently or what), but I went to the service desk and it was corrected immediately. We felt they were well worth the $17.50 per phone.

my thought is they'd be hard to loose with that "find" feature....now breaking it is another story

I wonder how well they work while in our pocket on the Flowrider :eek:

We LOVED the phones and would definitely do them again when we cruise. BUT power management is a big problem. The phone is up and running all the time...even the illuminated screen rarely goes off.

The battery drains much faster than on a typical iPhone, and needs constant recharging, at least twice a day. The phone could easily go dead, and then be impossible to find with the locator feature. (Furthermore, the locator feature is only accurate to within about 6 to 8 cabins or so.)

These were worth the money spent!!!! Even with the run around we went through to get these.

As for getting the phones. I was on the Oasis 3 sailings ago. Our first plan once we boarded was to get the phones. There were signs around the ship that said where to go for them, BUT nobody was ever at these locations. Tried the Jazz Club, then Conference center, then kids clubs, and then were sent to promenade. We called the front desk, but they were no help. They had no clue and sent us even further into our scavenger hunt. Yes, a real Royal mess.:D

I boarded as soon as the doors opened after Plats, and Diamonds. It seriously took us until 2:00+ O'clock to get a paper stating we signed up for the phones. Then we were sent to Boleros to stand in another line to pickup the devices. (People smoking all around us. A poor location for pick-up). While waiting about 30+ minutes in that line, a person came out and told us we couldn't pick up the phone until about 2:30-3:00pm. :eek: And they would call us out in numerical order.

This was so disorganised. A poor way to start off the cruise.

We got two phones and two location bracelets. The bracelets are free...but don't think that any child over the age of 4 is going to wear it!!!! It huge and clunky.

One phone stayed with hubby and one with my 14yr. son. My 11 daughter kept one (hidden) in a little change purse she won in the arcade. She hung it from a lanyard along with her seapass.

I took the other bracelet only when I separated from DH. I just threw mine in a small bag if I was going up to the pool. Other than that I really didn't need it.

This saved us a lot of run around time. It was so easy to communicate with the rest rest of the party when needed.

$1000.00 charge to you!:eek:

Thats always been a bit crazy IMO.....I don't know why they just don't have some insurance policy you can get on them....I would rather add an additional $25 charge for the week for insurance than be responsible for a grand if it got lost of broken.

my kids wore the bracelets ages 11 and 10

There is a kiosk in promenade as soon as you board. They will give you a paper (you need to fill it out) with a number on it. Then you pick up the phone and bracelets at Boleros. They call people by number at boleros so if your number is at least 15 away from being called don't bother waiting as it gets crowded. Keep checking back because once they pass your number you will automatically be next to be called when you return. Plus I was told that as long as you pick up your phone by the end of that day's time period you are guaranteed a phone (as long as you have that paper with the number on it).

btw - if you have an iphone/ipod bring your charger. the charger oasis gave me didn't work so i had to use my own. And during sea days the phone will need to be recharged as mine ran out around dinner time.

Wish it had a function to view full deck plans and having our reservations in there would have been nice too. Other than that it worked great.

I've always been a big proponent of the Royal Connect phones and have commented frequently on these boards about it.

(BTW...Sparkle...that's my YouTube video demo and post you copied and pasted)

Once you get past the process of signing up for them, they are excellent. And WELL worth the price of a week's rental.

That being said, Oasis has been renting out the phones for about 9 months and the staff STILL can't get on the same page regarding signup.

Your best bet?

The moment you board the ship (which would be Midship, Royal Promenade, Deck 5), head down to Deck 4 (forward), to the area between the Comedy Club and Studio B. Someone should be there to give out signup sheets. Fill them out there, then go down immediately (or much later on) to the Conference Center (Deck 3 forward) , where they will configure your phones and give them to you.

One common complaint on these boards is that the phones don't work from time to time. Most of the time, this is because the user inadvertently shuts off the unit or brings the phone back to the main menu. Do NOT do this and you will be just fine.

Archived