Non-Ray activities?

Flairy

A group of six of us are trying to find something to do in Grand Cayman for our cruise this October. We're having a hard time for a few reasons:

1) We're not really interested in the stingrays or the turtles.

2) We have a beach day in Cozumel, so laying on a beach is fine..but a last resort.

3) We've been looking for catamaran rides, snorkel trips, but haven't found any that don't go to stingray city.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Island tours would be okay, if they're more interactive than riding around in a van...

Thanks for any help!

A group of six of us are trying to find something to do in Grand Cayman for our cruise this October. We're having a hard time for a few reasons:

1) We're not really interested in the stingrays or the turtles.

2) We have a beach day in Cozumel, so laying on a beach is fine..but a last resort.

3) We've been looking for catamaran rides, snorkel trips, but haven't found any that don't go to stingray city.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Island tours would be okay, if they're more interactive than riding around in a van...

Thanks for any help!

Would you feel comfortable driving?

We rented a car in Jan and just drove around checking out the island.

Went over to Rum Pt., Hell and 7 mile beach.

Of course half the fun was driving on the wrong side of the road.:p

There was a snorkel trip we took through the cruise line that did not stop at the stingray sandbar. I don't remember the exact name but it was something like shipwreck and reef snorkel.

Another vote for Eden Rock, really nice group of people, some good snorkeling and not very expensive. Once you get through it's only a couple of minutes back into town and lunch at Margaritaville.

If you turn left out of the port there is another place about the same distance in the other direction but I can't remember the name. Check out the scuba and snorkeling board for more info.

Another vote for Eden Rock, really nice group of people, some good snorkeling and not very expensive. Once you get through it's only a couple of minutes back into town and lunch at Margaritaville.

If you turn left out of the port there is another place about the same distance in the other direction but I can't remember the name. Check out the scuba and snorkeling board for more info.

Hey Idle,

I've read that the snorkeling from Eden Rock is really good. It's in town? Is it a pretty area to "camp out" on the beach as well. I guess I mean is it pitcuresque? Looking for something different in GC this time...

I've seen pics from Rum Point & it looks so beautiful. Have you been? And might you or someone be able to give a comparison?

Thanks in advance!

Happy snorkeling!

Not Idle, but you might find this interesting.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/eden_rock.htm

Eden Rock is in town. Not really a beach. Stairs to get into the water.

Hi tandem/zydeco,

Very kind of you to share your most interesting photos.

Looks like it was a lil choppy the day you were there! The sea life looks quite abundant at Eden Rock but not exactly the most beautiful "beach" lol

Thank you again, I very much appreciate the "visual" description :)

S-Dawg

DW and I will be going to Cemetery reef by bus then later might snorkel Edens rock, cheeseburger and or the ship wreak depending how many other snorkelers at these sites

Paul

120 days to go

Only 120 days to go! You are lucky, DW & I sail 4/1/11

Paul what kind of bus are you taking? Public bus? Tour bus?

What's the skinny on the magic snorkel bus? :)

S.Dawg

Hey Tandum,

Tell me would it be possible to snorkel at Edens a couple hours & grab a taxi to 7 mile beach? I've only been to GC once & spent the entire time on a catamaran doing the Sting ray thing & snorkeling

Thanks

Yes that is possible. You can actually snorkel at many different spots all the way to 7 mile beach. We rented a scooter, and went to Edens rock dive (second dive shop) they rent lockers there, then we went into town and snorkeled wreck of Cali, then cheeseburger reef and then went to 7 mile beach and did all that in one day.

check out the link for more info

http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/offshoresnorkeling.htm

Yes that is possible. You can actually snorkel at many different spots all the way to 7 mile beach. We rented a scooter, and went to Edens rock dive (second dive shop) they rent lockers there, then we went into town and snorkeled wreck of Cali, then cheeseburger reef and then went to 7 mile beach and did all that in one day.

check out the link for more info

http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/offshoresnorkeling.htm

Renting a scooter & doing a self snorkel tour sounds like a blast. Thanks flvol, that is an awesome idea! We carry our snorkel gear in a backpack type of bag so that might work out great.

Where did you rent them & how much per scooter? Are they gasoline or electric? My Dw has never driven a motorcycle, would she be OK on one? Seems the roads there were pretty good. Did you feel safe on the scooters? I've had motorcycles so I'm Ok. Tonight I'll google scooter rentals & see what I come up with.

I was looking for something totally different, this might be exactlly it!

Thanks again!

Only 120 days to go! You are lucky, DW & I sail 4/1/11

Paul what kind of bus are you taking? Public bus? Tour bus?

What's the skinny on the magic snorkel bus? :)

S.Dawg

Now only 118 days to go ,

in truth it is a public van.

Best to read the Sticky Thread on Grand Cayman on page one .

Also check out the following threads;

1)Want to visit Hell on our on , how do we get there posted july 28 time 0851 am

2) cab fare to 7mi beach posted July 23 time 559 pm #8 gives a good idea on how the system works , cost and location

Hope this helps

Paul

Renting a scooter & doing a self snorkel tour sounds like a blast. Thanks flvol, that is an awesome idea! We carry our snorkel gear in a backpack type of bag so that might work out great.

Where did you rent them & how much per scooter? Are they gasoline or electric? My Dw has never driven a motorcycle, would she be OK on one? Seems the roads there were pretty good. Did you feel safe on the scooters? I've had motorcycles so I'm Ok. Tonight I'll google scooter rentals & see what I come up with.

I was looking for something totally different, this might be exactlly it!

Thanks again!

You get off the tenders and there is people standing outside and you can ask them were to rent them, my wife was on the same scooter. The roads are ok, not the greatest but if you take your time you will be fine. My father in law and wife pushed me to do it and it clicked when someone said its like riding a bike. Just make your wife practice in the alley. Most of the scooters I have seen are now in back lots off the main road so you can ease your way into traffic.

BTW we loved the solstice, we are hooked on Celebrity. I hold the link helped, there is a TON of info on snorkeling for almost free from the shore in GC.

You get off the tenders and there is people standing outside and you can ask them were to rent them, my wife was on the same scooter. The roads are ok, not the greatest but if you take your time you will be fine. My father in law and wife pushed me to do it and it clicked when someone said its like riding a bike. Just make your wife practice in the alley. Most of the scooters I have seen are now in back lots off the main road so you can ease your way into traffic.

BTW we loved the solstice, we are hooked on Celebrity. I hold the link helped, there is a TON of info on snorkeling for almost free from the shore in GC.

The link was a wealth of info. Thanks for sharing it. We are going to give the scooter self snorkel tour serious consideration!

We are hooked on Celebrity as well. Sailing one of the lines new Solstice class ships, the Eclipse next April. Have a great time on Solstice this October! Sailing her twice in one year...I'd say she hooked you but good!

Thanks again for sharing your Grand Cayman snorkeling experiences, I appreciate it

Snorkel Dawg

Archived