Car Rental in Freeport?

caribtravel

I have been to Freeport before but never ventured out with a car. Any suggestions on good/bad companies and/or must see spots? thanks:)

There is a car rental company at the cruise pier - Celebrity Car Rentals. The rates are high, but they are the only company that has cars right there at the pier. I would use them for sheer convenience. Everyone else will have to pick you up and take you to their office, which takes time.

Thanks. The only company I could find listing a location on site is Avis. Do you know if they actually have cars there or only an office?

Celebrity is the only one I know of that is on site, and it was there just a couple of months ago when I was at the pier. Avis may have a representative, but I heard through this forum they will only pick you up and take you to their office.

Celebrity is the only one I know of that is on site, and it was there just a couple of months ago when I was at the pier. Avis may have a representative, but I heard through this forum they will only pick you up and take you to their office.

Thanks again. I'm reading mixed feedback on Celebrity so I think for the day we might just do the Lucaya area or a beach nearby? Do you know +/- how long it would take to walk from the port to Lucaya area? or any other beach area we could walk to? Here in NYC walking a few miles is part of our routine and we'd rather walk than shuttle if possible.

Thanks again. I'm reading mixed feedback on Celebrity so I think for the day we might just do the Lucaya area or a beach nearby? Do you know +/- how long it would take to walk from the port to Lucaya area? or any other beach area we could walk to? Here in NYC walking a few miles is part of our routine and we'd rather walk than shuttle if possible.

It's about a 20 minute shuttle ride to Port Lucaya, so walking would be not the best idea. No beaches within walking distance unless you cross the parking lot and there's a miniature beach next to Pier One restaurant. Taxi or shuttle or excursion.

It's about a 20 minute shuttle ride to Port Lucaya, so walking would be not the best idea. No beaches within walking distance unless you cross the parking lot and there's a miniature beach next to Pier One restaurant. Taxi or shuttle or excursion.

Sounds like you have lots of experience with Freeport so thanks again for your response...

Hello Johann & Sandra-

If we don't want a busy Lucaya beach on cruise day...Is Taino Beach still a good bet? If so what's the best way to get there from pier? or would you suggest Xanadu? Made it to Taino 3 years ago and it was great but I've never been to Xanadu. thanks again.

Alex

Hello Johann & Sandra-

If we don't want a busy Lucaya beach on cruise day...Is Taino Beach still a good bet? If so what's the best way to get there from pier? or would you suggest Xanadu? Made it to Taino 3 years ago and it was great but I've never been to Xanadu. thanks again.

Alex

You would need to take a taxi.

If you liked Taino 3 years ago, I'm sure you'll like it now - not that much has changed except that Junkanoo Beach Club is now operational. I think if you call them they may pick you up at the pier, but not sure.

Xanadu is closer to the pier, and you will likely have the beach mostly to yourself. The hotel is closed (only a few timeshare rooms still open) but the beach bar is open (has restrooms) and there are chairs and palapas and the like. No watersports at Xanadu anymore, so if you want that this isn't the place. But if you want some peace and quiet, avoid the crowds, soak up the sun, hit the beach bar, and snorkeling off the jetty, then you may want to consider Xanadu. The hotel is still staffed so they can call you a taxi when you want to return.

I too am interested in renting a car or van at the pier when we arrive into Freeport. Does anyone have a telephone number for the rental agency there. Also, does anyone know of any place that rents jeeps for the day. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Silky

Archived