Ships for hoists, profiling beds etc

littlerachet

Hi all,

We are completely new to this and so have not yet been on a cruise. We are thinking about it as air travel is out for now. However, my partner has a few things that he needs and we are having trouble getting this information, I don't really know where to start! Can anyone tell us what ships or companies do ALL of this for disabled passengers:

1. Adapted cabins with roll in showers

2. Loan of hoists and shower chairs

3. Fully profiling or at least rising beds (so care can be given)

4. WAV transfers from shore to the sights (as partner is restricted to wheelchair and cannot self transfer)

5. If tenders are needed, can accomodate wheelchair tenders safely, so we are not stuck on the boat.

6. Will accomodate special diets, e.g. extra soft.

Thanks to anyone in advance, this would be a massive helpicon11.gif

Hi all,

We are completely new to this and so have not yet been on a cruise. We are thinking about it as air travel is out for now. However, my partner has a few things that he needs and we are having trouble getting this information, I don't really know where to start! Can anyone tell us what ships or companies do ALL of this for disabled passengers:

1. Adapted cabins with roll in showers Most of the major cruise lines -- Princess, HAL, Carnival, Celebrity (and others) have handicap accessible cabins. They don't have many on any one ship, and don't necessarily have some in every category, so if you need an accessible cabin (and you do, if your partner uses a wheelchair!), you need to book early, 6-8 months out from when you intend to cruise.

2. Loan of hoists and shower chairs None of the ships provide hoists. You have to rent this yourself. Most of the cruise lines will supply you with the name(s) of who they have contracted with, for mobility equipment. You'd call the company, arrange for what you want, and it will be delivered to your stateroom in time for your cruise, and collected at the end of your cruise.

If you book a handicap-accessible cabin, it will come with a shower, and there will be a shower chair in the shower -- either a portable one, or a drop-down chair (attached to the wall of the shower).

3. Fully profiling or at least rising beds (so care can be given) I don't know if any of the ships provide this. And if your partner does need care, you would have to do it.

4. WAV transfers from shore to the sights (as partner is restricted to wheelchair and cannot self transfer) I don't know what a WAV transfer is, so I can't help here.

I do know that most of us arrange for private tours on land, as the excursions and tours offered by most of the cruise companies are not wheelchair- friendly. They use buses without lifts, for example.

5. If tenders are needed, can accomodate wheelchair tenders safely, so we are not stuck on the boat. HAL (Hollan America Line) advertises that it is the most accessible for its tenders. Many of the other lines will not permit wheelchairs on tenders at all unless they are the collapsible manual wheelchair, and the person using the chair can step up or down a few steps (assisted by crew).

6. Will accomodate special diets, e.g. extra soft. Most of the lines can accommodate this, if you arrange it well in advance of your cruise (2 months or more away from the actual cruise date.)

Thanks to anyone in advance, this would be a massive helpicon11.gif

All of the cruise lines have a special needs department. Start there -- call, explain what your partner needs, and see if they can accommodate those needs. You can't always be certain about it, as sometimes you'll be told "yes" when they really mean "no way!"...but that's about the best you can do.

I use a wheelchair full time and have learned that I have to be willing to be flexible, and adapt/adjust as I go, if I'm going anywhere. And yes, I've spent a lot of time on board ship as I've not been able to get off -- they won't accept my wheelchair on the tender; sometimes the ship can be docked right next to shore but because of either the steep ramp -- or on my last cruise on Hurtigruten, steps! -- I could not exit the ship.

Good luck with your planning!

Archived