Capt Bryan's Buccaneer/ review/ detailed

BobbieSu

This is a review of our day with Captain Bryan on the Buccaneer to Stingray city and two snorkel stops. It is a mixed review. Some things were great, others could definitely have been better. Our day at Grand Cayman from the Explorer of the Seas began early. We wanted to be on the first tender. There were no tender tickets given out, it was first come first tendered.

About 9:15am we went to deck 3 aft where there was a short line. By 9:30 it was longer, but they started loading and all who were in line at 9:30 made it on the first independent tender. The ship excursions tender pulled away first and so docked first, we had to wait for them to unload before we could dock. Though the tender ride was only five minutes, the loading, waiting and unloading took 45. There was only one other ship in port. I pity those of you who have more.

Nevertheless we were on shore. They wanted our picture with a pirate and then we went to the street, turned left and headed for the meeting place. There were several representatives advertising tours from anonymous vendors. Along the way we met a family who were also looking for Capt Bryan. We walked together for about 5 minutes to the yellow building with the red roof. It was a bakery and was sending out wonderful aromas to welcome us. I stopped in for a minute, but the line was long and I didn’t feel like waiting.

About 10:20 we were checking in with the Capt Bryan representative. There was the family of four, and the two of us. We had reserved for three, but graciously we were not charged for our son who refused to come. (though we didn’t get his 20% deposit back)

Right at 10:30 (our meeting time) the bus pulled in, the driver got out, saw there were only six of us and pulled out again. We waited for 40 minutes without an explanation other than “He will be right back”, “It will just be a minute”. Because of previous information given on this board I expressed the opinion that he went back to the dock for more people. We, at this point were kind of stuck. Not knowing whether they would take us if there were not more people, not even having an official reason why we were waiting, but having given them our money, we could not leave to find another option. I was content to wait, however the other family was upset and impatient, and I felt they had good cause.

Finally we were led across the street and the bus pulls up again...This time it was full. Though we had been there first my husband ended up sitting in the isle in a temporary seat. I asked the lady sitting next to us how much they paid for their dock side decision. I had paid $39, she said she paid $34. You figure it out, cause I couldn’t.

We drove to the marina and were able to finally see the results of the hurricane, now four months past and yet still very much in evidence. What trees had not been blow over had been stripped and then everything had been covered with salt water and died. Green was still a scarce commodity. Many of the buildings had the black tarpaper on their roofs and a pile of shingles waiting to be nailed on. Recovery was an ongoing process.

We were welcomed on to the Buccaneer by Aster who was our pilot and guide, and by Heather who was our videographer. There was the cabin in the middle, and then the back which was covered. We sat out front. The sail was unfurled and it was nice to hear it flapping in the breeze. Aster did keep the engine running as well however, so it wasn’t the silence which is so nice when sailing. Not too far out we ran into some wind and rain which drove most of the 25 or so people inside. (I’d say they were mostly families with various ages of kids) . We just put on our new RCCL jackets and carried on.

It was a great ride out. It was so strange to look back across the island and see the ship on the other side towering high above everything else.

We were fitted with fins and provided with masks and snorkels on the way out, Heather came around and took a picture of us all. We went first to the Barrier reef since sting ray city was surrounded by about 6 boats. I saw Moby Dick, and the double decker Kirk Sea Tours.

At the barrier reef Aster came out, scared away a shark, lured the wonderful large green eel from hiding, Heather gave it a hug. I was so impressed with the clarity of the water, it was beautiful to see the purple fan coral waving in the current and to try to count all the different kinds of fish....I wished I knew more about them, but there were so many and all so colorful and beautiful. I felt like I was IN one of those big aquarium tanks. There were so many nooks and crannys where the fish were hiding and swimming around...It was great.

Way too soon they were herding us back. We went over to the stingray sand bar, where the water was even clearer. We were surrounded as soon as we were in the water. One poor little girl was petrified, I don’t know whether she calmed down or whether they took her back to the boat, I was too busy watching, rubbing, being rubbed, holding, and swimming with the rays. It was a great experience. Aster made sure that everyone who wanted to hold a ray did so, and even convinced a few who weren’t so sure. My DH was able to feed one, though the squid was gone when I went to try.

Again, sooner than I would have liked, but having had a very good time we got back on the boat and went to an area called the aquarium. All these areas are very, very close to each other. It felt like we just turned the boat around and we were there. Not everyone got in the water this time, which was a good thing because this was a smaller area. The water was crystal clear, but not too many fish were around. Heather and Aster kept trying to get some eels out. These are apparently nastier eels, so I stayed away. It was fun to watch Aster tempt the eel with some food like I play with my dog with an old sock, holding it out then pulling it away.

Back in the boat, they opened up the cash bar, but I didn’t see anyone get anything. We did not have an underwater camera. So the only way I would have any memory of all that we had seen was to buy a DVD. I had not planned on it, but I am glad it was available. It is supposed to come in about three weeks. I am looking forward to it and hope I can relive that beautiful area again.

Overall we were able to do what I hoped to. I think the organization had some flaws, but in the end it didn’t detract much from the great day.

Oh, did I mention that once we were out to Sting ray city we had the sun? Meanwhile it was raining on the island and ship....Ah, fate is kind.

Su

Thanks for the wonderful review! We are doing Capt. Bryan's in May. We Went to Grand Cayman about 2 1/2 years ago, so we are interested in the damage done by the Hurricane. We love Grand Cayman. Shopping isn't much, but the scenery and people were awesome!!

June

Boobbie, thanks for such a detailed review. One question - given the 40 minute or so schedule delay because of waiting for the van, what time did your excursion actually return (both to the marina and the van trip back to town?) Asking because we have booked this exact same excursion for late February, and I want to make sure we won't have timing issues if we run experience the same timetable you did.

Good questions MikeyMars, and I am trying hard to remember. Bear with me while I think out loud.

I think I was so happy with the experience that I never did look. Our last tender was at 5pm. My DH went straight back to the ship, while I had time to wander around the shops there near the pier, walk down to Eden Rock and get a smoothie. I met someone there who said a storm was coming in about 4, that's the first I remember looking at my watch and it was about 3:45. So I decided to get back onboard. I'd guess I shopped for about an hour which would have got us back to the pier about 2:30. The transport took about 15 min. It is supposed to be a three hour tour right? So that would be about right, from 11:10 to 2:10/2:15.

I'm just wondering if post hurricane they are trying harder not to go out without a full boat. I have no problems with that, I do wish they would be more up front and open about it.

Su

We went last week on Capt Bryan's and had an incredible time. I would strongly recommend this trip to everyone. There were only about 10 of us on the boat and the bus picked us up on time and no complaints at all for the low numbers.

Stingray city was great and the snorkeling was some of the best I've seen.

Heather, the videographer was excellent and we happily ordered a copy of the DVD.

We look forward to going again.

Good questions MikeyMars, and I am trying hard to remember. Bear with me while I think out loud.

I think I was so happy with the experience that I never did look. Our last tender was at 5pm. My DH went straight back to the ship, while I had time to wander around the shops there near the pier, walk down to Eden Rock and get a smoothie. I met someone there who said a storm was coming in about 4, that's the first I remember looking at my watch and it was about 3:45. So I decided to get back onboard. I'd guess I shopped for about an hour which would have got us back to the pier about 2:30. The transport took about 15 min. It is supposed to be a three hour tour right? So that would be about right, from 11:10 to 2:10/2:15.

I'm just wondering if post hurricane they are trying harder not to go out without a full boat. I have no problems with that, I do wish they would be more up front and open about it.

Su

Bobbie, thanks so much - I understand that you weren't "stopwatching' your entire shore time in Grand Cayman!!!

I'm assuming you were asked to cool your heels for 40 minutes for the precise reason you suggested: the hurricane hurts business, they're hungry to get back in shape and are sending the van driver out to "troll" for customers when bookings are slow. And you review suggests why they were slow that day, you mentioned there was only one other ship in port when you arrived.

Our situation is somewhat different. There will be two others ships arriving with us when we anchor in Grand Cayman on 2/23, with two more arriving later in the morning. While that will definitely slow down the tendering process (you mentioned getting into tender lines at 9:15 - when did your ship actually anchor?) , it will probably also lower the likelihood of our tour being "underbooked;" I know their 9:30 sailing that day was already sold out when I made our reservation back in early January.

At any rate, assuming your 2:30pm-ish return to pier area is correct, we should be o.k. even if we experience the delays you did. The last tender to our ship is at 3pm. If the tour runs on time, we're supposed to be back in town by 1:45-ish. Even if it falls behind schedule like yours, we'll have time to get in the line for the late tenders (I know those lines lengthen as you get close to the "last tender" deadline, but so be it).

I guess all we can do is play it by ear; if we get the same "van-driver disappears-chill-out-mon-don't-worry-he'll-be-back-in-a-minute" treatment you did, I'll reinforce to the check-in rep, van driver and catamaran crew that we're perfectly "chilled" but absolutely HAVE to be back in town at the cruise pier area no later than 2:30. And I won't be alone in that: from the roll call board here, I know of at least one other party from our ship who will be with us on that Captain Bryan's sailing, who be will telling them exactly the same thing.

Again, thanks for such a detailed and helpful review!

Hi, The DVD was $60 (I think US). They accepted cash or credit card (though AMEX was discouraged). They also offered a VHS for I believe $10 less.

Mikeymars. We anchored sometime before 9:30 but had to wait for clearance from the port officials to begin tendering. Our scheduled arrival was 9:30 so we were right on time. Good luck on the trip, it really was a wonderful place to see.

Su

Oh, ships in port http://www.cruisecal.com/dnn/

And I won't be alone in that: from the roll call board here, I know of at least one other party from our ship who will be with us on that Captain Bryan's sailing, who be will telling them exactly the same thing.

Mikeymars,

There will be two more of us making the Miracle/Buccaneer/Miracle connection that day! :)

See you there.

Lenny

Great review. We are doing this same excursion in March. I was very nervous at first when I read this but felt much better at the end. I know there is one other family going on this same excursion as I met them on these boards so if we do have to wait in the beginning we will be with others!

Thanks Unique. I was just worried they would cancel the trip, but it turned out really nice. If you have to wait maybe you could go into the bakery and get something to eat, I can still smell those aromas.

We had enough time at each stop to really enjoy it. It really is an amazing thing to be in the water with the rays... Hope you enjoy it.

Su

I want to say thanks, too, for the great review! I appreciate your attitude as well. I'm thinking I would have been more than peeved to know that I payed more 'cuz I booked early--But the experience you had more than made up for its negative start, and I'm thinking we made the right decision by booking with Capt. Bryan's. We'll be sailing on the Miracle on June 19. A party of 8...booked on the Buccaneer for June 21. Anyone else going to join us???:)

Hi, We just received the DVD today of our sting ray city tour ($60 +$5 shipping charged to our visa). I just have to say WOW !.

It was wonderful to relive the experience we had that day, to see the fish, the rays, the shark, the eels, the people. The little girl who had been screaming at first was shown holding a sting ray with a great big old smile on her face,,,I was glad to see that. The video was over 30 minutes long, lots of time to see all the good stuff, it had a little bit of everything from the boat to the day, to the people and underwater good stuff.

What an amazing day, I wish I could share it with you all. For those of you going, enjoy it!

Su

Archived