"Interior Stateroom Guarantee"

My husband and I have an interior stateroom booked in the middle of the ship on the Grandeur this summer. Its our first cruise. I noticed that Royal Caribbean now offers our room type for $200/pp cheaper as a "guarantee" category, meaning we lose our preferred room and get the pick of the draw. We would like to save the $400, but are afraid of the room we will get.

We booked a room in the middle of the ship because we thought it would be easier to avoid sea-sickness this way. Does anyone have any advice on if getting a room on the extreme front or back of the ship might lead to sea sickness? We are trying to think of the worse case scenerio rooms we might get stuck with and then deciding if its worth saving $400 for.

Thanks for any help or advice! icon_smile.gif

Booked an interior stateroom guarantee for my sons on the Voyager. They've been assigned an interior room almost midship on deck 6 - actually not a bad location. And, not the worst of all possible rooms, it's a category N vs. a category Q.

We haven't taken the cruise yet so I can't tell you how it went but it was worth the money savings - just being on the ship is a treat for them.

It might depend on how susceptible you are to queasiness. The ship's motion has never bothered me, and $400.00 can go a LONG way towards cruising fun when you're onboard! If it were me, I'd get the GTY. Good luck!

GTY means you will get an interior room AS A MINIMUM. The rooms that get sold first are the cheapest rooms, and the most expensive. So, this is the best way to get an upgrade. About half the time, you will get a room in a more convenient location, and many times you will get upgraded to an outside room.

You can buy a lot of sea-sickness medicine with $400 - which you probably won't need. We had one of the forward rooms on the Adventure, and while we did feel the motion a little more, it wasn't a problem at all - it may have helped us sleep better.

Counting down to the Rhapsody OTS - 12/05/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;5;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Sunward II 9/90, Adventure OTS 9/03

We've been at the very front and at the very back when those were the only places we could get 2 adjacent rooms. We've felt a lot more movement in the front, but we never had rough seas on those cruises, so I don't know how bad it can be.

As previous posters said, you'll get that category at a minimum. So they could put you at a higher category directly under a noisy public room. Look at the brochure and see if there are many cabins you'd hate to have. Maybe that would help you decide.

We've never done a guarantee because we need 2 cabins next to eachother.

It totally depends on when your sailing is and how full the ship is. Personally, I would take the savings and go guarantee.

For my recent experience, I had booked the lowest outside room rate on the Granduer in April during spring break. 10 days before the sailing I was able to change the booking to a guaranteed outside to save $150pp. I ended up in the first 2 cabins foward (lowest possible rooms you could get). HOWEVER.. they were nice, and it was a western carribean sailing so the seas were smooth.. It worked out fine.

$400 could buy you lots of frozen drinks!!

Maureen

MS Maasdam 10/30/2004

Princess Sun 2/27/2005

Mariner of the Seas 10/16/2005

Archived