Is Rum Point worth the extra $$?

Sammy*

Hey all:

We've narrowed down our Grand Cayman excursions to the following two. I'm looking for an opinion on whether or not the Rum Point stop is worth the extra $16 per person (will cost us an extra $181 total for the whole family). Here are the choices:

Capt. Bryan's Buccaneer: 3 hour tour; includes 3 snorkel stops; $39 per adult

- OR -

Nativeway's Rays, Reef, Rum Point: 5 hour tour; includes 2 snorkel stops plus Rum Point Beach (which, I believe, also includes lunch); $55 per adult.

If there's anyone who has done both, I would love to hear from you!

Thanks,

Sammy

I was looking at that too and I think the tour with the food included looks like a good deal. Last time we stopped at Sea Grape Beach and had lunch there. We ordered one burger, one hot dog, one order mozzarella sticks and 3 drinks and the bill was over $35! Ouch!

Any tour that includes rum point is worth the extra money. I highly recommend going to rum point. The food is very good and the "Wreck Bar" is really cute. There is a great shop there too with nice quality souveniers. The prices were good too, not that different than Georgetown and believe me a better shopping experience. Rum Point was spared damage from Ivan, other than the restaurant that took a hit, to look at the beach, bar and shop you would never know Ivan was there! There is Red Sails watersport at Rum Point where you can ride jet skis, ride aquacycles and kayak. It was never crowded when we were there and we did see people from the ships but I think it is a good kept secret for people in the know who want a peaceful beach experience. The water at Rum Point is beautiful and with small kids it is great too as there are 2 smaller wading areas that the water from the ocean streams into. Lots of chairs and picnic tables painted in bright caribbean colors and the waitstaff is wonderful. We spent 3 days there this past week as it was the nicest beach on the island! I forgot to mention there are hammocks to enjoy as well!

Been to GC 6 times- always by plane. The last time (6/04) we finally hit Rum Point for the 1st time ever. It is defintely worth the extra money. There is great snorkeling right under the pier as well as in the grassy area off the the right of the pier. We saw two turtles grazing right there 10-20 ft from the beach. The atmosphere is great. Lunch being included is an extra plus. Food is expensive considering the American dollar is worth .80 when you step on the island. I would go back in a heartbeat. So many people we talk to that are cruisers don't care for GC - but it is unbelievable- you just have to see as much as possible.

Thanks for the great replies! After much research on the boards, and reading your replies, we have decided to with Nativeway tours and include the Rum Point stop. I am so looking forward to this vacation!!!

Archived