Spirit of Adventure - Anybody tried her?

rugbypopsie

I have been looking for a history based cruise in the Med and came across this ship.

I would appreciate any comments from anyone who has sailed with this line..I think they might be part of Saga.

I was looking at Voyages to Antiquity but was put off by the early problems and whilst they seem to be getting sorted I like the look of this newer ship.

Any information will be appreciated.

Spirit of Adventure is wonderful little ship! The crew is fantastic and the atmosphere on board is low key but very comfortable. It is separate company but part of Saga. It is excellent value at present with lots of offers. It also has one of the best libraries at sea and very good food. Pool is a bit small though. You will enjoy her if you sail on her I am sure.

First of all it is not a new ship. However it was bought by the present owners who also own the Saga Company who refurbished and launched it as the Spirit in 2006.

It is a very small ship holding 350 passengers.

I agree with everything that sandikin says about it being a wonderful little ship. You will find that many of the passengers return again and again - I have been on four cruises on her.

The drawbacks are that the cabins are all quite small. There are no verandas. There is only one very small (4person) lift. Also it is quite expensive when you compare it to the larger ships.

A choice of two excursions each day and gratuities are included in the price. On some cruises they offer free wine with lunch and dinner but in any case the drinks are very reasonably priced. They also hand out free bottled water on excursions.

The food is are really excellent and includes a wonderful afternoon tea and the other passengers that you meet as it is open dining are usually very friendly.

The ship also has an excellent itinerary doing a different cruise every two weeks.

I would certainly recommend her.

• 1 month later...
First of all it is not a new ship. However it was bought by the present owners who also own the Saga Company who refurbished and launched it as the Spirit in 2006.

It is a very small ship holding 350 passengers.

I agree with everything that sandikin says about it being a wonderful little ship. You will find that many of the passengers return again and again - I have been on four cruises on her.

The drawbacks are that the cabins are all quite small. There are no verandas. There is only one very small (4person) lift. Also it is quite expensive when you compare it to the larger ships.

A choice of two excursions each day and gratuities are included in the price. On some cruises they offer free wine with lunch and dinner but in any case the drinks are very reasonably priced. They also hand out free bottled water on excursions.

The food is are really excellent and includes a wonderful afternoon tea and the other passengers that you meet as it is open dining are usually very friendly.

The ship also has an excellent itinerary doing a different cruise every two weeks.

I would certainly recommend her.

We are booked on the Spirit and really looking forward to the 'smaller ship' experience. I have a question regarding the so called formal nights. We want to travel fairly light and really don't want to bring 'formal' gear just to wear for a couple of evenings. Did you find people really dressed up on these occasions? I suspect the majority of passengers will be from the UK which makes me think 'formal' will be taken seriously. Obviously we don't want to be underdressed or look out of place in 'smart casual'. Appreciate your advice.

• 2 months later...

On formal nights the dress is very varied - a few long dresses, a few short cocktail or pretty summer dresses and lots of seperates (pretty skirts and tops or trousers with pretty tops). To sum up practically anything goes. If you are doing a fly cruise it might be easier to take seperates then you can ring the changes.

If you really don't want to dress up you can always eat in the Verandah restaurant which has the same menu as the main dining room and although self service there are waiters to carry your tray for you.

Hope you enjoy your cruise on Spirit - though I am sure you will.

Hi,

Thanks for the information on dress onboard the Spirit of Adventure. Although we have cruised before, was not sure on what to take to wear being on such a small ship. Now feel a lot better knowing I can take mix and match separates along with a couple of nice dresses.

Any tips/information you could give me about being on board would be much appreciated

Thanks one again

J +

Archived