Traveling with Insulin Pen

Chesie

I will be traveling with an insulin pen for the first time this November. It needs to be kept below 86 degrees. Any thoughts on how I can pass through the scanner without a problem with an ice pack and small cooler?

I see they make these sleeves that you add water to and they stay cold for 4 hours and reuse. Would that be a better option?

How does everyone else travel with an rx that needs to be kept cool?

I already have a letter from my doc stating the need for this to be on my person.

I always travel with insuline pens and so does my mother. As long as you keep your insuline at or under room temperature, you do not have to cool it. Your 86 F is about that or even more. Generally, temperatures in an airport or on a plane will not go above that mark. Unless I travel to an extremely hot country, I do not see the need for cooling. My mum often taken the pens out of the fridge and puts them in a thermos flask without adding anything, just screwing the top on. This will keep it sufficiently cool in any hot weather until you get to the ship. Your cabin is airconditioned, so it will never be too hot there. My mum also has these cooling sleeves with granulate you can immerse in water and they become hard and cold. She says they are very good. I recently was offered one by Bayer for free, but I have not used it yet.

DO NOT use an ice pack. Insuline can freeze or be kept too cold, which will make it useless. If it becomes solid or you have flaky bits floating around in it, that means it froze and you have to throw it out. You should therefore never checkin any luggage containing insuline, as it theoretically can freeze in the baggage hold. My partner and I always divide my supply (same with needles and testing gear), so if my handbag gets snatched I will still have enough to see me through.

Security sees hundreds of these pens a day, don't worry. I always put the pens in the separate basket with the bag of fluids, but I got told every time that was not necessary and that I could leave it in my bag next time. My mum had to take the thermos flask out of her bag only once and open it to show them there were no liquids in the flask.

Do ask your stateroom attendant on the ship for a special sharps container. I always pack my used needles properly when throwing them away, but last time my attendant told me that all garbage on the ship was sorted by hand and they rather have the separate containers.

I travel with a similar pen in an insulated bag with a section for two ice packs in separate sections that keeps the pen cool for 11 hours. I also carry in the bag needles and a letter from my doctor. I put it in my small carry-on tote bag. The cruise line will give me a sharps container for use on the ship.

Archived