Toddlers in the MDR

Raze

Back in the day, my parents taught me to sit quietly, add appropriate conversation sometimes, and enjoy my meal.

I don't have kids. So go ahead ..I'll wait a minute..you can bash me.....

xxxxxxxxxxxx

OK. Now here's my opinion. I don't think there's anything wrong with anything that can be done quietly -- coloring, foam toys, even a DVD (assuming the sound doesn't carry past the table, or runs through an earplug or something).

I think it isn't a good idea to let your toddler run around (the OP didn't say they would do this...but some folks do). The dining rooms are pretty crowded, waiters are running around with heavy trays full of dishes, some of which have hot food, some full of dirty dishes -- either way, not good on a little ones head..or body... Nor is it (like someone suggested in another thread) OK to let your toddler play on the floor under the table (have you ever looked under there?? Gross!!) Nor is it OK to let your child go to other tables and pester folks/talk to folks/engage other folks in any way. They may be polite and smile, or tell you "how cute!"...

but believe me, when that happens to me, I'm smiling through a growl! :o

As for sitting still through dinner - I know another person already has been bashed on this thread, so bash away...

If you're done bashing me now .. I actually did this too. We had "practice dinners" at home, complete with china and glassware, in the dining room (we usually ate in the kitchen, off plastic plates, so this was a BIG deal) - -we called them "grownup dinners". And then when our parents took us out, they'd say something like, "We're going to have a grownup dinner tonight..you remember how to behave!" and we (my brother and I) would sit quietly, sometimes offer contributions to the conversation, try hard to not spill our water, wait for our parents to cut up our food if we couldn't manage it, and just SIT there while the grownups talked,

knowing that our "reward" would be a nice dessert if we made it through dinner without causing a stir. If we did misbehave, or get cranky, or get overly tired, one parent would excuse him/herself and remove us from the scene, so as not to disturb the others, both the others at our table, and the others in the dining room. Sometimes just a quiet few minutes would calm us; otherwise the remaining parent would know to box up any remaining parent dinner and bring it home.

We never took coloring books or toys to a meal, and were astonished when some restaurants started that practice of providing stuff to amuse kids! We just thought we were supposed to sit there, eat, and when the adults were done, we'd leave!!

No bashing at all for you-- great for you that the above makes you happy and proud. Only issues I have is that the OP didn't ask can everyone please share their opinions on children on child rearing and how to teach a kid to sit quietly. OP asked for recommendations for things to bring for entertainment in the MDR & ELSEWHERE to keep the little munchkins happy. I just find your opinion to be unsolicited & don't really understand why you both felt the need to hijack the thread. If you have issues that you would like to express- couldn't you have just started your own thread?

I as well could have posted that last cruise we hardly brought anything compared to previous cruises since our kids are so used to eating out & sitting still and majority of the dinners the kids were so busy eating and looking around- watching the scenery outside the windows,playing lets count the dolphin outside or who can find X, we also talked about what we would do after dinner or what we had done for the day & what was fun, etc that we didn;t need gadgets or toys, etc-- their 2yrs, 2yrs & 7yrs but OP didn;t ask for us all to share our stories of how we personally or we had our children sit through a meal without coloring, etc--OP asked what to bring ideas-- not just for the MDR but elsewhere too

It's fantastic that you had those experiences with your family, great for you that you were proper well mannered children but then became?-- it just seems that you got some pleasure from disrupting the thread. Maybe my perception is incorrect but that was how it was personally received for me. Absolutely agree that kids can quietly sit thru dinner......

Hi,

We are leaving on an Alaska cruise next week (Sapphire Princess). I have a 4 year old boy and 3 year old girl.

What recommendations do you have for toys/coloring books/etc. that we should bring from home to keep them entertained in the MDR or elsewhere? I've read that activity books would be good for the long dinners.

I'm sure there is information posted on this topic, but I couldn't find it. Please feel free to point me in the right direction or share your experiences.

Thanks!

Brian

No bashing at all for you-- great for you that the above makes you happy and proud. Only issues I have is that the OP didn't ask can everyone please share their opinions on children on child rearing and how to teach a kid to sit quietly. OP asked for recommendations for things to bring for entertainment in the MDR & ELSEWHERE to keep the little munchkins happy. I just find your opinion to be unsolicited & don't really understand why you both felt the need to hijack the thread. If you have issues that you would like to express- couldn't you have just started your own thread?

I as well could have posted that last cruise we hardly brought anything compared to previous cruises since our kids are so used to eating out & sitting still and majority of the dinners the kids were so busy eating and looking around- watching the scenery outside the windows,playing lets count the dolphin outside or who can find X, we also talked about what we would do after dinner or what we had done for the day & what was fun, etc that we didn;t need gadgets or toys, etc-- their 2yrs, 2yrs & 7yrs but OP didn;t ask for us all to share our stories of how we personally or we had our children sit through a meal without coloring, etc--OP asked what to bring ideas-- not just for the MDR but elsewhere too

It's fantastic that you had those experiences with your family, great for you that you were proper well mannered children but then became?-- it just seems that you got some pleasure from disrupting the thread. Maybe my perception is incorrect but that was how it was personally received for me. Absolutely agree that kids can quietly sit thru dinner......

Thank you and well said!

It appears any question about kids leads to parenting advise from a few who haven't parent or at least recently and simply doesn't care much for them.

OP.....electronic devices work for us even with older kids. My kids travel with DSI, Ipod, but are out of the coloring book phase. I have eaten at the buffet with the kids then save our formal dining for when they are in the kids program.

If you don't mind kid centered conversation at the dinner table we also

--play eye spy

--play what animal am I? give clues until someone guesses

--tell a silly story where each person contributes to the story and the last person at the table tells the ending

--pick a category and everyone has to add to it until it is too difficult them announce new category (example: "b" words or animals that live in the ocean, or vegetables, etc, etc , etc)

-- ask aquestion everyone takes turns answering (what was your favorite activity today? or did anything surprise you today? what made you laugh today? what was something you did today to be a friend? )

We love the sticker story books at Barnes & Noble for special times and also we found a book at Sams Club with pages and pages of the hide n seek pictures from HighLights magazine. I know my girls will love that!

These are great ideas!

Thank you tamsocal - well stated.

This is the kids first cruise and I am really looking forward to going with them. Typically the kids are great at dinners and can sit through with no problems. I've been reading about how long the dinners are for the kids and really wanted to have a back-up plan.

I'd rather be the prepared parent, rather than the reactionary one. If I can be prepared to entertain my kids should they become restless, I might be able to help the fellow passengers eating next to me to have an enjoyable dinner. It's as much as a consideration to my fellow passengers as it is to have happy kids who also enjoy their vacation.

Brian

--play eye spy

--tell a silly story where each person contributes to the story and the last person at the table tells the ending

--pick a category and everyone has to add to it until it is too difficult them announce new category (example: "b" words or animals that live in the ocean, or vegetables, etc, etc , etc)

-- ask aquestion everyone takes turns answering (what was your favorite activity today? or did anything surprise you today? what made you laugh today? what was something you did today to be a friend? )

We love the sticker story books at Barnes & Noble for special times and also we found a book at Sams Club with pages and pages of the hide n seek pictures from HighLights magazine. I know my girls will love that!

I love your suggestions because I feel it is just sooo important to engage your kids in conversation at dinner. It's a great educational opportunity that too many people overlook. At home, we're often too busy with work and after school activities to have a leisurely, sit down dinner at the table. Dinner in the MDR on a cruise is a wonderful chance to teach your kids so many things, such as how to sit nicely through a fancy dinner and show good table manners. And as they get a bit older (ex: ours are 9 and 13), you can work on teaching them how to have a conversation with others. Some children are shy and need time and lots of encouragement to speak. Others (like my older DD) are not shy at all, and need to learn not to interrupt, not to monopolize the conversation, and to relate a story succintly without endless irrelevant detail or wandering off topic. Kids need to learn how to listen to others and act politely interested in what others have to say (even when you're not interested:rolleyes:). And sometimes you'll be surprised what you find out from your kids when they have your attention for an extended period.

Kudos to the OP for all the thought and prepartion he is giving this. Have fun and enjoy your cruise, especially your dinners with your kids.

Thank you tamsocal - well stated.

This is the kids first cruise and I am really looking forward to going with them. Typically the kids are great at dinners and can sit through with no problems. I've been reading about how long the dinners are for the kids and really wanted to have a back-up plan.

I'd rather be the prepared parent, rather than the reactionary one. If I can be prepared to entertain my kids should they become restless, I might be able to help the fellow passengers eating next to me to have an enjoyable dinner. It's as much as a consideration to my fellow passengers as it is to have happy kids who also enjoy their vacation.

Brian

Brian

I think it's great to be prepared-- even though the dinners were long-- the kids really did well thru them. For our family the buffet was just not the option. We have twins & 7yr old and w/ the no trays in the Buffet area-- it is just too much getting up & down to get additional items-- carrying things initially, etc- then the kids would want to go to the buffet line- and then werent so interested in getting back in their seats.

The MDR worked well for us. It was really great family time. You know your kids well and how much they have slept all day (or not) and if we thought our kids were limited in patience-- we would speed things along a bit-- order quickly, polite request to the waiter if at all possible we will take this entree whenever it is ready, skip dessert, or appetizers, etc, and then other nights they were in a jolly good mood and we would have a slow paced meal. As other posted-- we reminded the kids that babies that don;t stay in their chairs while we eat--don't get to have cookies or ice cream after dinner (works some of the time for my kids but not all as they don;t really go nuts for desserts)

we left the table on occasion with one of the kids to go out of the MDR and talk to them about sitting still or quiet voices, etc-- out of our 9 cruises I don't think we ever had to have one of the adults take the kid out & not return.

crazytwinmommas examples are great-- for our little ones the last few cruises between 1yr & 2yrs we simplified but did similar-- counting up how many glasses on the table. Who can find X? Asking what was a fun activity today? talk about what they want to do when the sun comes up.

It sounds like you will have an excellent time and likely will be able to use your MDR time as quality family time & you will have a few back up plans in case needed

Happy Cruising

All,

Thank you so much for the great ideas and support. We leave tomorrow on the Sapphire Princess to Alaska. They kids are excited, as am I.

I was around 10 years old on my first cruise (Carnival Festival) and I remember my parents telling me that I could order anything I want for dinner.... so guess what I ordered? A plate of french fries! I never had a problem sitting through dinner as the waiters were always entertaining. I was much older than my 2 little ones though.

Take care all!

Brian

I just received a whole bunch of activity books from ebay to take on our cruise for the kids. I feel that if I am prepared, I won't need any of it. If I am not prepared, they will be off the wall. Let's see how my theory works!

Have a great trip Brian and let us know how you make out!

--play eye spy

I am sure these games are fine if you are at a table by yourself and not seated with others. Unless they have children also!

I think little hand held games are wonderfull and although at first I did not like the idea of a dvd player at the dinner table as long as no one else can hear it, I don't see why anone would have a problem with it.

I do not like it when parents let their children run around in a restraunt and disturb other people and I think there are alot of good suggestions on this page.

Back in the day, my parents taught me to sit quietly, add appropriate conversation sometimes, and enjoy my meal.

Hmm maybe I should try that with my daughter, she'll be 21 mnths when we cruise. I can't wait to hear her appropriate conversation. :rolleyes:

There are some great suggestions on this thread. We didn't start cruising w/our kids until the youngest was 9 or so and dinner was no problem. We are taking our grand-daughter, without her parents, in April (she'll be 3.5) and I am a little nervous.

I purchased a portable dvd player for her when she was a year old for when we went out to dinner. Probably would have never done that w/my kids, but I would like to think I learned a little about what really matters. I have the privilege of watching her 5 days a week while her parents work and she usually stays the night twice a week. Her contentment directly impacts mine and I am more than willing to do what I can to make her "happy". I find it much less disturbing to others for her to color or quietly watch a movie than whine because she's bored.

Am I a doting grandmother? Probably so, but I sure don't want her or my kids to remember every family vacation being uptight and unenjoyable. Thanks for the posts, I am going to begin my search for some fun sticker books and the hide and seek books.

There are some great suggestions on this thread. We didn't start cruising w/our kids until the youngest was 9 or so and dinner was no problem. We are taking our grand-daughter, without her parents, in April (she'll be 3.5) and I am a little nervous.

I purchased a portable dvd player for her when she was a year old for when we went out to dinner. Probably would have never done that w/my kids, but I would like to think I learned a little about what really matters. I have the privilege of watching her 5 days a week while her parents work and she usually stays the night twice a week. Her contentment directly impacts mine and I am more than willing to do what I can to make her "happy". I find it much less disturbing to others for her to color or quietly watch a movie than whine because she's bored.

Am I a doting grandmother? Probably so, but I sure don't want her or my kids to remember every family vacation being uptight and unenjoyable. Thanks for the posts, I am going to begin my search for some fun sticker books and the hide and seek books.

Touche' Very well put!

We don't want the kids remembering this cruise as a miserable time at meals.

I found some sticker books on ebay for my grandson to play with on the cruise.

Hmm maybe I should try that with my daughter, she'll be 21 mnths when we cruise. I can't wait to hear her appropriate conversation. :rolleyes:

This reminded me of a funny story my husband told me. A few weeks ago we were visiting our daughter and 18-month old granddaughter. Now, the little one is verbalizing, but not exactly coherent most of the time. She's a grandpa's girl and spend lots of time playing with, cuddling, and talking to him. One time, she came over and started "talking" to him about "something." Then she gestured and pointed to her room. He wisely said, "Okay." She smiled as if to say, "Yes, he understood me," and off she went. Great conversation, if only he knew what she was trying to express, but I suppose what mattered was that they communicated.:D

While I certainly think children should behave at the table, especially in a nice dining room, I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to be little robots or something. We certainly didn't enjoy that when we were young.

beachchick

I always try to give the kids a snack just before dinner as well so they aren't too hungry at dinner. I know this sound silly but then we were entertaining content kids :) We were always able to get the kids meals way ahead of ours and I took them to the kids club as soon as they were done their meal (and it was open). I then returned to dinner to eat a peaceful dessert and enjoy the rest of the dining experience.

fisherhum: Giving the kids a snack earlier is not silly at all. Let's face it: An overly hungry child is a cranky child. Little bodies need smaller portions of food at frequent intervals and shouldn't have to wait for "the big dinner" when what they need is "a small snack now and a bit of dinner later."

beachchick

Archived