Suggestions on where to visit in Florida post cruise??

Luvcrusin'

We have about 3-4 days to visit the Florida area before we need to be in Orlando for a convention. We will have just returned from a seven day cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale and my husband and I are renting a car for the following week. We would love to travel and see some new places.....Key West? Clearwater? Tampa? South Beach? :confused:

As you can see I would love some recommendations!! Places to stay, great restaurants?

Thanks Cruise Critics!! :)

If you've never driven down through the Keys to Key West that's something everyone should do at least once! It's a beautiful drive and unlike anywhere else in the US.

South Beach is also something you should see, at the very least drive up Ocean Drive.

Donot think about driving to Key West and back on the same day.

You need at least 4 hours going there, propably more if you make some stops and then back again. Give yourself 1 night in Key West, that makes the trip great and you can hopefully enjoy sunset on the pier.

Or drive to the northern section of Everglades, in the vicinity of Homestead and make a boattrip there.

On the most northern entrance of Everglades - shark alley - you can make a nice tramtrip with a parkranger.

Near Bahia Mar Marina you can make a boattrip through the canals of Ft. lauderdale en sometimes a daytrip through the Intracoastal to Miami Bayside.

I enjoy spending time in each of the mentioned areas. They are all very nice and I believe you'll enjoy the time wherever you end up.

My husband and I are going to be retiring a lot earlier than expected. He goes March 31 and me December 31. We always talked about wintering in Florida and we will soon have to make the decision of where. We will be visiting all the above mentioned areas, plus a few others, before we finally decide. I plan to leave work 12/31, get into the car and head to Florida. We are seriously considering going down for a month or more and just playing it by ear. Cellphones and laptop computers will make it very easy for us to get reservations at the last minute as well as be in touch with home.

Enjoy your trip..

If you're going back towards Orlando you can visit the Florida east coast around Cape Canaveral/Merritt Island to Melbourne Beach to Cocoa Beach; it's beautiful there. I live in the Tampa Bay area and not impressed with the area unless you go south from Sarasota or Venice.

Key West it is!! Looking at all the pictures it looks fantastic! Now we will try to see if we can get a resonable price for a room.....think I can try Priceline for one of these hotel/resorts?

Has anyone heard of Kissimee Florida? Someone mentioned they liked the area?

Kathy

P.S. Yet more confusion!! :eek:

Kissimmee is NO comparison to the Keys... Many people stay there who go to Disney, but don't want to stay in the Disney parks. It's VERY VERY touristy... To me it's one of those places you drive through shaking your head, and can't wait to get away from!

Another suggestion for a KW hotel is the Hyatt Sunset Harbor -- right off Mallory Sq. and not too far from the other Hyatt previously recommended.

We stayed there in Dec. (thanks to a suggestion from a fellow CC) and it was fabulous. You can walk everywhere from there. It's also a timeshare so if you are staying for several days, it may be worth checking out as you will have a full kitchen and added space. (After being on an 11 night cruise with several days in South Beach prior, we were ready to eat at home a night or two and made use of the kitchen.)

You may want to post a few questions on the Key West board -- several helpful folks over there who can answer questions and give good suggs about things. They also may be able to give advice about what to look for in trying priceline. I think there are several hotels located in the new part of town and I would avoid those. You can't walk to town from them and even though there is a shuttle available to take you into town, I'd try and stay in old KW.

You will love it there and the drive down is awesome! Enjoy! Leslie

Archived