Debit/Credit for Ship Board Account????

texankhj

They may, but there may be an issue after the cruise. Here's why.

Carnival will run an authorization for the amount of the prior day's S&S charges. On debarkation morning they run the actual charge through for the total amount of the S&S balance, without cancelling the prior authorizations. The authorizations will expire naturally in 7-10 business days but in the meantime they act as a hold, and reduce available funds in the bank account.

:eek::eek::eek:

This is what happened to us on our 1st cruise. We used cash on the 2nd cruise and we are planning to use cash on the one in Sept.:p

I set up a debit card account specifically for cruising. I have an allotment taken from our family checking account weekly to save for it, then I use it for booking all our cruise expenses, airfare, hotels, etc. That way I know things like bills aren't being taken out of it while we're away, that I know the hold placed on it (should it take a few days to be taken off, after our return) won't put a kink in normal household expenses. I make sure to have atleast $500 on that card when we board, that way I know the deposit is taken care of and the tips atleast...and anything leftover gets rolled into funding our next vacation.

I've never had a problem and will continue to do so.

That, in my opinion, is a very wise thing to do and a fantastic alternative for people that do not have and do not want a credit card.

While the vast majority of cruisers will never have a problem using their debit card, there are some that do have issues with the holds placed on their account. I personally would not be willing to risk it, since we need access to our funds.

It will be interesting to see how this issue plays out over the next six months or so. The credit card legislation designed to enhance consumer protections (that recently went into effect) affects debit card usage as well. Banks are no longer allowed to overdraw your account via debit card or overadvance your card without having your express permission, so transactions that may have gone through before are being returned.

What does that mean for the consumers? Those who accept credit cards as a form of payment are beginning to put larger holds on the consumer's cards to ensure that their transaction will go through. For example, several gas stations in our area have changed from putting a $1 hold on your account, just to make sure that the card was active and chargeable, to putting a $50-$100 hold.

It's something to keep in mind when deciding whether to use credit, debit, or cash.

It will be interesting to see how this issue plays out over the next six months or so. The credit card legislation designed to enhance consumer protections (that recently went into effect) affects debit card usage as well. Banks are no longer allowed to overdraw your account via debit card or overadvance your card without having your express permission, so transactions that may have gone through before are being returned.

What does that mean for the consumers? Those who accept credit cards as a form of payment are beginning to put larger holds on the consumer's cards to ensure that their transaction will go through. For example, several gas stations in our area have changed from putting a $1 hold on your account, just to make sure that the card was active and chargeable, to putting a $50-$100 hold.

It's something to keep in mind when deciding whether to use credit, debit, or cash.

This is very helpful, thank you. :) I have seen the notices when we login to online banking, but I did not understand the situation until you post.

Archived