NOT Anti-Kids, Alternatives, Etc...I am ANTI-This!!!

globe9

That's what "Freedom of speech" is all about. Luckily, we live in a country where we can walk away and not have to listen to it/read it if we so choose.

Be nice if we could fit some real cruise info in with thread after thread of endless rants.

Thats free speech too.

USN Retired E-8

Lots of threads lately about anti-kids, anti-alternatives, anti-whatever. The only thing I am anti on a cruise ship is anti-rudeness. In my experiences, the rudeness is becoming more and more prevalent. I witnessed way more rude behavior on my last cruise than I did on my first cruise back in 1986. It has nothing to do with the cruiseline IMO, but way more to do with where society is heading.

My #1 biggest peeve is getting off of an elevator, or trying to, and having other passengers(mainy adults btw) rush on before everyone has exited. This is VERY rude IMO. I was taught as a young child to stand off to the side of the elevator and wait until everyone has exited before attempting to board the elevator. On my last cruise on the Fantasy, I was nearly pushed down by a rather large, adult male who appeared to be about 50 years of age or so, who could not wait for the crowded elevator to empty before getting on. I did say out loud that you'd think someone that old would have manners. He just glared at me.

Another peeve I have is when walking down a cruise ship corridor on the way to or from my stateroom or to a venue. I tend to keep the right side of the corridor and usually passengers coming at me stay to the left. I hate encountering a group of 2 or 3 passengers who walk side by side and when they see someone coming towards them they do not move and continue walking 2 or 3 across. The person closest to me SHOULD move to allow me room to pass without having to hug the wall IMO. This rarely happens lately. I guess they think I'll move out of their way, but I refuse to and I have had more than one collision with a rude passenger who thinks its ok to take up the entire corridor. I usually stick my left arm or elbow out as we're passing and jab them somewhere. Then usually they look at me like I'm the crazy one.:rolleyes: I guess I should have just turned sideways and walked along the wall to allow his or her highness more room to pass.

I won't even get started on the behavior I witness at the buffets. Again, mainly adults. Will just say 1 thing. The food isn't going anywhere, you can always go back for more.

P.S. What happened to holding the door open for people? Some of those doors that lead to the exterior of the ship can be quite heavy and I've had people see me coming and just let it close practically in my face.

Really think manners need to be taught in schools today as rudeness is becoming more and more prevalent and it seems to me that the parents are NOT teaching manners as the parent's parents didn't teach manners either. Manners really help a society IMO and may even prevent a lot of the problems we see on the streets today. Hopefully it would help prevent the problems I see on a cruise ship.

I totally agree with you!! Very well written!! I strive everyday to teach my daughters manners as my parents have taught me. How hard is it to be a little courteous to people?? Like you stated how hard is it to hold a door open for a couple seconds for someone else!!!

it's not. and it's not right. my mom raised me better than that, but like i said everyone has their moments. we can't be polite and courteous all the time.

But if you behave rudely and then start a thread to complain about other people behaving rudely some of us are going to point out the irony.

I totally agree with you!! Very well written!! I strive everyday to teach my daughters manners as my parents have taught me. How hard is it to be a little courteous to people?? Like you stated how hard is it to hold a door open for a couple seconds for someone else!!!

You totally agree? So you teach your daughters that when they walk down a hallway the courteous thing to do is stick out their elbow and jab people? :confused:

But if you behave rudely and then start a thread to complain about other people behaving rudely some of us are going to point out the irony.

yes, seems a bit contradicting. sometimes i guess it is easier to reciprocate with the same rude behavior.

You totally agree? So you teach your daughters that when they walk down a hallway the courteous thing to do is stick out their elbow and jab people? :confused:

Well if you teach them to extend thier pinkies out at a 42 degree angle, it becomes propper and lady like. :p:rolleyes:

I tell my daughters to treat you as others would want you to be treated...if they acted like that, I would expect them to be treated like that. 2 wrongs don't make a right, I don't care about making a right...I care about making a point and letting someone see what they are doing is wrong...regardless of how I go about it...after all, if they weren't being disrespectful we wouldn't have to take a rude approach back to them, when you try to "kill them with kindness" they laugh at you as soon as you walk away...

This is a quote from your original post #1:

And now this:

Which is it? :confused:

I was clarifying my statement as some people seemed to get the idea that I take my whole arm and punch the offending person. Totally not the case.

Stick out your elbow Fran. Doesn't extend too far out does it? So if I'm close to the wall to begin with and see 3 people coming who DO see me, but don't move, I'm to pull in all of my appendages as close to my body as possible, as well as hug the wall and hope I don't bump them? Sorry, not gonna happen. I'll extend the elbow and if they get jabbed by it b/c their hogging the hallway, oh well. Maybe next time they'll think twice about hogging the hallway. Sometimes it is best to counteract rudeness with rudeness IMO.

I assume you'll disagree, but oh well. We can't all think alike.

I tell my daughters to treat you as others would want you to be treated...if they acted like that, I would expect them to be treated like that. 2 wrongs don't make a right, I don't care about making a right...I care about making a point and letting someone see what they are doing is wrong...regardless of how I go about it...after all, if they weren't being disrespectful we wouldn't have to take a rude approach back to them, when you try to "kill them with kindness" they laugh at you as soon as you walk away...

I don't really care what they do when I walk away. And speaking of daughters...my mother would be appalled if I intentionally jabbed someone with my elbow whether they were rude or not. She taught me better. I've seen lots of rude people on ships. I just smile to myself and thank goodness that I'm not that unhappy :) Also, I'm pretty sure that an elbow jab isn't going to make a disrespectful person "see what they are doing is wrong". All it does is make you rude too.

But if someone is going to reciprocate with the same rude behavior why come here and start a thread complaining about rude behavior? :confused:

who knows? i wonder why some of the threads are started on here. some are just oozing with trouble and trolls.

I don't really care what they do when I walk away. And speaking of daughters...my mother would be appalled if I intentionally jabbed someone with my elbow whether they were rude or not. She taught me better. I've seen lots of rude people on ships. I just smile to myself and thank goodness that I'm not that unhappy :) Also, I'm pretty sure that an elbow jab isn't going to make a disrespectful person "see what they are doing is wrong". All it does is make you rude too.

Amen.

I agree completely. I had an interesting experience regarding the elevators on my last cruise. We were on Oasis of the Seas and there were a lot of European guests. Whenever we were exiting the elevator, the Europeans would get on without waiting for us to get off. (Yes, I know they were European from their accents, languages, etc.) We thought this was odd because we think of Europeans as being more polite and well-mannered than Americans. So I asked one of the Europeans who entered the elevator before I got off. He told me that it is not the custom in Europe. We found that hard to believe.

It's only rude if you initiated it...I bet you were taught to not hit someone back if they hit you too...and an elbow wouldn't hit these people if they took 5 seconds to think about someone other than themselves. I won't do an elbow jab...I don't like to touch strangers so this is never an issue for me, but last cruise some kids came running down the hall and saw us there, knocked my 9 year old over who was walking about 20 feet ahead of me...when they kept running by me, yes, I put my foot and out he went flying, unfortunately it wasn't over the side of the ship and just onto the floor...guess it was OK for my daughter to get knocked on her butt but not him, don't think so...so if that makes me rude, I really don't care...but I can assure you I am only rude to those that started with me first!!!!:D

My opinion is Karma will be a bigger ***** than I could ever be. So I just go on with my vacation .

That's how I feel about it most of the time but sometimes you see something so appaling you can't help but want to do something...I once watched some kids take a womans wheelchair from the hall as her husband was trying to help her through the door and run all the way down the hall with it and leave it there...when I saw the kids the next day with their parents I mentioned to the parents what they did...they didn't even seem to care...boys will be boys...that is where it comes from...lack of discipline...

I would personally never be the ignorant one first but don't have a problem giving it back if the situation warrants it...

Amen to the OP.

I have to add that it is diifult to raise three kids in such a rude world. I often witness my children acting with more grace, tact and kindness than people who claim to be adults.

(Although, my kids do get frustrated when they must act with respect and get run-over by others who take advantage of the fact that my children were not raised in a barn!)

When frequently encountering a group of chronic hall blockers, I usually pretend to trip and body check one of them into the wall. I aim for the biggest male carrying food or drink.

I say "excuse me", of course, I wouldn't want to be impolite.

It's only rude if you initiated it...I bet you were taught to not hit someone back if they hit you too...and an elbow wouldn't hit these people if they took 5 seconds to think about someone other than themselves. I won't do an elbow jab...I don't like to touch strangers so this is never an issue for me, but last cruise some kids came running down the hall and saw us there, knocked my 9 year old over who was walking about 20 feet ahead of me...when they kept running by me, yes, I put my foot and out he went flying, unfortunately it wasn't over the side of the ship and just onto the floor...guess it was OK for my daughter to get knocked on her butt but not him, don't think so...so if that makes me rude, I really don't care...but I can assure you I am only rude to those that started with me first!!!!:D

Let me see if I got this right. You are a parent of a 9 year old child and you intentionally tripped someone else's child and caused him to go flying?? And upon reflection of your actions, you're not ashamed of your behavior but instead are proudly posting about it here? Wowzie. I don't have a response.

Let me see if I got this right. You are a parent of a 9 year old child and you intentionally tripped someone else's child and caused him to go flying?? And upon reflection of your actions, you're not ashamed of your behavior but instead are proudly posting about it here? Wowzie. I don't have a response.

I'm glad that you don't have a response because I wasn't asking for anyones opinion if they thought what I did was wrong or not. No, I am not ashamed...if one of those boys had stopped and helped her or apologized to her or even bothered to acknowledge it(aside from laughing) I would have let it go...but they didn't, they thought it was funny so I wanted them to see how funny it was...Wowzie

On every ship ive been on from the biggest to the smallest, ive never used the elevators. I can take the stairs faster. Im not saying im "sprinting" up and down the stairs. But I can get places faster using them. When I get to old or have medical issuses to where I need to use the elevator, I will stop going on cruses..LOL.

Archived