NCL Pearl 8-8-10: Pearls of Wisdom, Awe, and an Unforgettable Experience

jimswims

oops, this is not working out so well. Thank God my advanced degree is not in computers huh! Hopefully you can see these pics. I will keep trying to understand this computer/pic technology. You now know why my wife took all the pictures, LOL!

Thanks for all the nice feeback on this review. I think that it is fitting that we are experiencing our third day of cold and rainy weather here in the Northeast since the weather we had in Seattle and Alaska was warm and sunny for the most part, lol.

I am happy to respond to more questions about the Pearl and our cruise to Alaska. Thanks again for reading.

I'm on the Pearl in Sept for the 14 day Panama canal cruise what are some of the don't miss things that I shouls fit into our sea days

I did like bowling and the rock climbing wall.

The promenade deck has chairs and is a nice place to sit and enjoy the view and some shade.

There is an area for enjoying the sun way up on top, mid ship. There are some other places that looked like they would be good spots for some sun away from the pool area.

The adult pool has a waterfall and this looked pretty cool as well. I would imagine that this would be a good place to cool down on a hot summer day.

It seemed like there were spots to sit and enjoy inside too. Spinnakers has great views and if not in use could be a quiet place. There is also the library and game room up on deck 12, forward.

I thought the thermal spa pass was a good deal. The sauna, steam, jacuzzi, and plunge pool was good as was the therapy pool in the co-ed area. I was in Alaska so I do not know if I would use it as much in a warm weather cruise.

There is lots going on throughout the day. Be sure to look at the Freestyle Daily and you will have lots to choose from I think.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise. The Panama Canal trip is on my list of must do's!

We were able to getting pretty close to this eagle when we were on the Bering Sea Crab tour. This was taken off of Ketchikan, Alaska. It was a warm and sunny day and there were quite a few eagles that came near the boat.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_h6IwYMSs6kI/THRJFtQKhPI/AAAAAAAAADA/TB4_pvHdvJw/s680/Alaska%20August%202010%20035.JPG

jimswims...

looks like you guys had incredible weather... just curious, what was the forecast before you left? I'm nervous because I leave Sunday, and the forecast for next week is 60% chance of rain every day.... hoping to hear that yours was too, and then you were pleasantly surprised!

We attended the 9:15pm show, Oh What a Night and these guys really put on a good show based on the music of Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons. I really enjoyed it. From there we went to the Comedy show with David Naster up in Spinnakers. He was funny, looked like Danny DeVito, and I am glad that I went to this as well. The lounge was packed with people and it was a standing room only experience.

Do they have this show on every cruise? I love Frankie Valli... I actually have a broadway CD in my car that I listen to everyday!! I really hope they do I would be excited to see that show!

BTW Great review... getting more and more excited to cruise!!!

jimswims...

looks like you guys had incredible weather... just curious, what was the forecast before you left? I'm nervous because I leave Sunday, and the forecast for next week is 60% chance of rain every day.... hoping to hear that yours was too, and then you were pleasantly surprised!

I did check the weather before we left for Seattle and it said rain every day but Friday and Saturday.

We did have great weather on this cruise and I think that we got really lucky. The Captain announced that our day in Glacier Bay was probably the nicest day all season. The Freestyle Daily said mostly cloudy and 54 that day. This was probably the weather when I was out on deck at 6:15 am. It was in the 70's with bright blue sky.

The extended forcast actually said 70 and sunny for our day in Ketchikan. This was accurate but it was actaully warmer as the day ent on.

Also, when you get to the pier in Seattle as you check in there is a monitor that shows the weather for the up coming week. Have a great cruise.

Do they have this show on every cruise? I love Frankie Valli... I actually have a broadway CD in my car that I listen to everyday!! I really hope they do I would be excited to see that show!

BTW Great review... getting more and more excited to cruise!!!

I do not think that they are on every cruise. They were one of the headliner acts so I do not know how long they will be on the ship. They are not part of the NCL production shows.

jimswims...

I should have added this to my previous comment about the weather but..

Today on the Northeast coast we are experiencing our 4th day of rain, cool temps, and I am hearing the fog horn constantly. I actually love to hear the horn as it reminds me of being on ships and also that I live very close to the ocean which is very important to me. This was what I was expecting on the cruise and not at home, LOL!

Thanks for posting the additional pictures, Jim! I particularly loved the eagle (none of our pictures when we were in Ketchikan came out that well...of course it was raining on us the entire time!) and the small "wake" from your balcony at Glacier Bay. Lovely!

Thanks for posting the additional pictures, Jim! I particularly loved the eagle (none of our pictures when we were in Ketchikan came out that well...of course it was raining on us the entire time!) and the small "wake" from your balcony at Glacier Bay. Lovely!

Thanks Cubechick! As you know, I loved your pictures and your review. It was the deciding factor for me to go on this cruise and I am glad that I went.:D

My wife took all of these pictures, over 700, so I must give her all the credit.

Are you sure that you cannot fit a NYC to Bermuda on the Gem 8/7/11 with coka and I? It will be a great time for sure!:)

Are you sure that you cannot fit a NYC to Bermuda on the Gem 8/7/11 with coka and I? It will be a great time for sure!:)

Alas, Hawaii and the Panama Canal have spoken for all of my vacation time next year (that sounds pretentious :o!).

Unless I have a very well-timed "illness" (...hmmm...;):D) I'll have to save Bermuda for 2012.

Jim,

Thank you for such a beautiful, honest and picturesque review. We just booked this cruise for next July and reading your review has made me even more excited!!

I've been told that Glacier Bay is not to be missed.

Looking forward to our cruise next year.

Jim,

Thank you for such a beautiful, honest and picturesque review. We just booked this cruise for next July and reading your review has made me even more excited!!

I've been told that Glacier Bay is not to be missed.

Looking forward to our cruise next year.

Thank you for reading and the kind words. I hope that you enjoy the cruise as much as we did! I am still in awe of Glacier Bay!

I would go again next year, and actually looked at the rates this past week, but the kids want warm weather so we are going on the Gem. Funny, next year is a cruise for our 20th Anniversary, the kids are coming, and they are picking the destination. Something is wrong with this picture!:D

Enjoy and be sure to write a review.

Jim,

Please thank your wife for taking the wonderful photo's and thank you for post them.

OceanDreams

I will. I am glad that you liked them.

The background on my computer is the panoramic view of the mountains, glacier, and ocean in Glacier Bay. My wife noticed it and wanted to know where I found that, lol! She then realized that it is a picture that she took and not one of the ones that come standard with the computer.

Also, my screen saver takes me through the 756 photos from the trip. I now know why I cannot work, concentrate, or get anything done that is not vacation related :)!

Archived