NCL Pearl 8-8-10: Pearls of Wisdom, Awe, and an Unforgettable Experience

jimswims

Regarding weather.....when we cruised this year, on May 9th in Seattle where we started...I did NOT expect the weather we had! It only sunshines in that city usually in July and August, and sometimes not even then :p It was beautiful weather the whole cruise, except for Skagway was a bit cool and windy, and we had a small amount of rain......I hope that the end of May NEXT year is as beautiful as it was this last time. Didn't even use ANY of the rain stuff I brought LOL

Regarding weather.....when we cruised this year, on May 9th in Seattle where we started...I did NOT expect the weather we had! It only sunshines in that city usually in July and August, and sometimes not even then :p It was beautiful weather the whole cruise, except for Skagway was a bit cool and windy, and we had a small amount of rain......I hope that the end of May NEXT year is as beautiful as it was this last time. Didn't even use ANY of the rain stuff I brought LOL

I like surprises like that. We also were prepared for anything. We expected rain and colder weather. It was cooler, overcast, foggy, and drizzling at times in Juneau. We still had a great day and it was one that we were outside most of our time in port walking around Mendenhall. It was a blast actually! Also, I would have still gone out on the decks all day in Glacier Bay if it was cold and rainy. I would have had less company for sure. We were lucky and I am grateful :D!

I hope you enjoy your return to Alaska as much as you did before. We are planning on going back someday as well.

Here are 2 more from Glacier Bay.

Jim

if you click on the yellow picture of the mountain icon in the menu bar, it will ask you for the url, which allows you to see the picture inline in your post like this

Alaska%20August%202010%20052.JPG

For comparison, this is our picture from about the same place as above from the Pearl in May...

4664717564_91ae999652.jpg

Jim

if you click on the yellow picture of the mountain icon in the menu bar, it will ask you for the url, which allows you to see the picture inline in your post like this

Alaska%20August%202010%20052.JPG

For comparison, this is our picture from about the same place as above from the Pearl in May...

4664717564_91ae999652.jpg

Thank you for that tip. I really appreciate it:) I was trying to figure that out. I am slow in getting up to speed with the picture/computer technology.

Wow, I like to see the comparison shots too. Looks like the same sky but lots more snow in May. This is really great. Thank you.

Jim,

Thanks for the superior acount including pictures. Our first cruise was to Alaska five years ago on NCL, and we share your feelings about Glacier Bay and the Mendenhall (where we had to dodge a mama bear and cub.) Too bad you gave Victoria a pass, however; it is one of our favorite places. High tea at the Empress is more than worth the trouble of getting to town from the cruise dock.

Jim what a wonderful review. I always thought about going to Alaska just seems that living in the Massachusetts I tend to want to go away in the winter and end up going to the Caribbean. I will say your pictures are beautiful. I thank you for sharing.

Norma

Jim,

Thanks for the superior acount including pictures. Our first cruise was to Alaska five years ago on NCL, and we share your feelings about Glacier Bay and the Mendenhall (where we had to dodge a mama bear and cub.) Too bad you gave Victoria a pass, however; it is one of our favorite places. High tea at the Empress is more than worth the trouble of getting to town from the cruise dock.

Thank you very much.

I guess missing Victoria means that I have to go back again:)! We do hope that our next trip to Alaska will mean a longer time in that area of the world.

It sounds like bears are active at Mendenhall. I am told that there was a bear up in a tree when we were nearby. I did not know this until after though.

Jim what a wonderful review. I always thought about going to Alaska just seems that living in the Massachusetts I tend to want to go away in the winter and end up going to the Caribbean. I will say your pictures are beautiful. I thank you for sharing.

Norma

Thank you very much Norma. I felt the same way you do about vacation travel to the warmer climates to get away from the New England weather. I have really changed my mind about this for possible future destinations although next year we will be on the Gem to Bermuda.

Norma

Norma, I agree with that! Even so....Alaska remains as the best cruise ever...majestic, spiritual, unforgettable, amazing. My husband and I did it for his retirement many years ago. Definitely worth saving for, worth crossing the country for, and worth giving up one week of summer in New England for!

coka

Norma, I agree with that! Even so....Alaska remains as the best cruise ever...majestic, spiritual, unforgettable, amazing. My husband and I did it for his retirement many years ago. Definitely worth saving for, worth crossing the country for, and worth giving up one week of summer in New England for!

coka

It is actually on my bucket list of places to go along with Bermuda & Europe. Hope to someday get to cruise to all my destinations. January is the 1st time I am taking this much time out of work at once. Haven't told the boss yet...Bermuda would be so easy for us. Hmm maybe I need to buy 2 cruise rewards this time.

Norma

It is actually on my bucket list of places to go along with Bermuda & Europe. Hope to someday get to cruise to all my destinations. January is the 1st time I am taking this much time out of work at once. Haven't told the boss yet...Bermuda would be so easy for us. Hmm maybe I need to buy 2 cruise rewards this time.

Norma

That is what we do since you now have 4 years to use the Cruise Rewards. Enjoy your cruises and this heat wave we are now experiencing:D!

Thank you so much for that wonderful review and for all of the tips about the Pearl. My sister and I will be aboard in March and look forward to seeing everything you talked about on the Pearl. The pictures were amazing. I never thought I might like to cruise Alaska, but your review has got me thinking....

Thank you so much for that wonderful review and for all of the tips about the Pearl. My sister and I will be aboard in March and look forward to seeing everything you talked about on the Pearl. The pictures were amazing. I never thought I might like to cruise Alaska, but your review has got me thinking....

You are welcome. I hope you enjoy the Pearl as much as we did.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks so much Jim for a wonderful look into your trip. Please keep them coming, I am packing right now for my cruise on the Pearl on Sunday!! First cruise and can't wait!

I'm really enjoying this - I can envision Jim & his family truly enjoying themselves. And his "gratitude" really touches me...so many people forget to add up their blessings!

One of my upcoming blessings is the trip of a lifetime, aboard the Pearl as we explore the Eastern Caribbean, this coming November.

Looking forward now to reading the rest of Jim's adventure & story on this memorable family cruise!

I'm really enjoying this - I can envision Jim & his family truly enjoying themselves. And his "gratitude" really touches me...so many people forget to add up their blessings!

One of my upcoming blessings is the trip of a lifetime, aboard the Pearl as we explore the Eastern Caribbean, this coming November.

Looking forward now to reading the rest of Jim's adventure & story on this memorable family cruise!

Thank you very much for reading :)! I appreciate the kind words.

I hope you enjoy every minute of your cruise on the Pearl.

Jim,

Thanks for the review. My boyfriend and I are doing the Pearl in October, headed to the warm weather. I noticed that you ate in the Specialty restaurants. Do they work like the main dining room in terms of what you can order? If my boyfriend wants two steaks from Cagneys in one sitting can he order that? Also you mentioned wearing jeans to dinner? I noticed shorts are not permitted for dinner. Can you tell me if there was more of a dress code? Could we wear jeans to any of the restaurants or we have to be dressed up?

Thanks for your help.

Jim,

Thanks for the review. My boyfriend and I are doing the Pearl in October, headed to the warm weather. I noticed that you ate in the Specialty restaurants. Do they work like the main dining room in terms of what you can order? If my boyfriend wants two steaks from Cagneys in one sitting can he order that? Also you mentioned wearing jeans to dinner? I noticed shorts are not permitted for dinner. Can you tell me if there was more of a dress code? Could we wear jeans to any of the restaurants or we have to be dressed up?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Sammydan,

We did eat in the Speacialty restaurants and did on occasion wear jeans. This was actually the first time that I actually wore jeans to a speciality restaurant. One of the main dining rooms did allow jeans as well. I will quote the freestyle Daily from our sailing,

"What to wear: You'll always find a place for your style, no matter what you want to wear. Resort casual, including jeans, is welcome in any of our restaurants, except the Summer Palace, our designated "dress up" restaurant. No shorts or hats are permitted in any of our restaurants (except Garden Cafe) after 5:00 pm.

I actually do not know the answer regarding ordering 2 entrees in the Speciality Restaurants. I have never tried this. However, I have ordered 2 appetizers and this was not a problem. Maybe someone else has experience with ordering more than one entree and can chime in.

Enjoy the Pearl and your cruise.

When we did the Pearl in Alaska, the no jeans rule wasnt enforced even in the Summer Palace although it said it was. They moved us there from Indigo once and we were concerned and they said don't worry about it. I'd say it was split half and half between those in jeans and those dressed up. They might get a bit more strict in October, that I can't say (but they seem to take freestyle seriously).

What you can do in the specialty restaurant varies a bit from one to another. In ones like La Cucina and Mambos, we had no problem ordering 2 but did not see anyone ordering multiple entress in Teppanyaki, although I did ask for scallops in addition to the entree with no problem (although there was so much food, not sure I could have eaten a second).

Archived