few questions about the Pearl

maggie0104

Hi everyone! I tried to research this, but failed...

Just booked Pearl to Alaska for September 2011 and have some questions.

• Does having a Balcony Stateroom offer additional dining choice for Breakfast? When on the Dawn we had a choice to eat at Aqua (I think).
  • Do they offer tour of the ship? How long is it and what is the cost?
  • Which dining room is typically open for lunch on embarkation day?

Thanks!

Hi everyone! I tried to research this, but failed...

Just booked Pearl to Alaska for September 2011 and have some questions.

• Does having a Balcony Stateroom offer additional dining choice for Breakfast? When on the Dawn we had a choice to eat at Aqua (I think).
  • Do they offer tour of the ship? How long is it and what is the cost?
  • Which dining room is typically open for lunch on embarkation day?

Thanks!

I just got off the Pearl on Sunday.

The balcony cabins did not have a designated breakfast dining option other than the main dining room, the Garden Cafe, or room service.

They do offer a behind the scenes tour of the ship for 55.00 per person. It took us 3 hours but I think it was supposed to only be 2. The staff were great at talking to us about their jobs and how things run. It was offered on Saturday morning as we were heading to Victoria. I did this and thought that it was well worth the money. IT was a bright and sunny day so we were able to go in an tour the bridge. If there is foul weather than this will not be possible.

The Summer Palace was open for lunch on embarkation day.

Have a great time.

The Summer Palace was the one MDR that was open for breakfast. Summer Palace is the MDR at the back of the ship, and the same one that is open for lunch on embarkation day. I believe it opened for lunch at 12:30. They may gently try to direct you to the buffet for lunch but you can simply say you'd rather dine in the Summer Palace and by our experience, they will smile and let you proceed.

(It may have opened at 12:00, but I think it was 12:30 on embarkation day.)

Enjoy - you will love the Pearl!

Everyone says Summer Palace is the MDR open for lunch on embarkation day, but that was not the case for us in March. It was Indigo for us. Bottom line, one of them will be open. And agree that the Pearl is a great ship and would love to sail her again.

Everyone says Summer Palace is the MDR open for lunch on embarkation day, but that was not the case for us in March. It was Indigo for us. Bottom line, one of them will be open. And agree that the Pearl is a great ship and would love to sail her again.

I wonder if there was some 'special' reason that Indigo was the MDR open for the embarkation lunch on your cruise? 5 NCL cruises, including last September on the Pearl, it has been the larger MDR (the one at the back of the ship) that has been open. But, as you said, either way, one of them will be open.

It would make sense to open the MDR at mid ship for lunch on embarkation day, in place of the MDR at the back of the ship because it isn't largely known that one of the MDR's is open for lunch that day so most people use the buffet or Blue Lagoon. In all of the embarkation lunches we've had in the MDR, it has been nearly empty until late in the lunch dining time, and then it's usually not even half full.

The aft dining rooms are the 'fancier' ones, the ones that make you feel as if you're in Europe in a fancy hotel or something. But the food in both MDR's is the same.

Enjoy!

To clarify: I said it would make sense to open the mid ship MDR for lunch on embarkation day instead of the MDR at the back of the ship, but failed to completely explain why I thought that other than most passengers don't know one of the MDR's is open that day for lunch. The main reason I said it would make sense is because it is a smaller dining venue than the MDR at the back of the ship.

However, and this is all personal preference, it is more spectacular to dine in the aft MDR.

I just pulled out my Freestyle Dailies so I could be sure what happened for us last week.

Embarkation day: Lunch Summer Palace: Noon -2:00 pm.

Breakfast Daily: In addition to the Garden Cafe and The Great Outdoors, the Summer Palace offered sit down breakfast from 7:00 to 9:00 am.

Lunch: Summer Palace open from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm in addition to the Garden Cafe, Great Outdoors, and usually a BBQ pool side, and do not forget the Blue Lagoon.

I just pulled out my Freestyle Dailies so I could be sure what happened for us last week.

Embarkation day: Lunch Summer Palace: Noon -2:00 pm.

Breakfast Daily: In addition to the Garden Cafe and The Great Outdoors, the Summer Palace offered sit down breakfast from 7:00 to 9:00 am.

Lunch: Summer Palace open from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm in addition to the Garden Cafe, Great Outdoors, and usually a BBQ pool side, and do not forget the Blue Lagoon.

so looks like INdigo is only open for dinner then while Summer palace is all 3 meals.

I have a question regarding the little cafe with specialty coffees and pastries. I know you have to pay for the coffee, but are the pastries included in the cruise price? THat's something i've been wondering for years.

I wonder if there was some 'special' reason that Indigo was the MDR open for the embarkation lunch on your cruise?

Well, I can say there was nothing going on in there, because that's where we went first. I do have photos of it completely empty though.....

so looks like INdigo is only open for dinner then while Summer palace is all 3 meals.

All of the sailings are not exactly the same - so just when you think you know, it gets changed..... Our M&G got moved from Indigo to LeBistro because Indigo was open for lunch on the first sea day.

I have a question regarding the little cafe with specialty coffees and pastries. I know you have to pay for the coffee, but are the pastries included in the cruise price? THat's something i've been wondering for years.

I can only speak for what happened on our particular week regarding the locations for breakfast and lunch.

I need to ask the expert about whether there was a charge for the pastries at the Java Cafe. She is out at the moment so I will get back to you on this one:D!

I can only speak for what happened on our particular week regarding the locations for breakfast and lunch.

I need to ask the expert about whether there was a charge for the pastries at the Java Cafe. She is out at the moment so I will get back to you on this one:D!

thanks. We loathe coffee (the smell makes me nauseas) but DH has always eyed those pastries. It sure would be nice to know if they were included or if they were an extra charge.

Are the pastries included in the cruise price? THat's something i've been wondering for years.

You do have to pay extra for the pastries. They are similar to what you would get at a Starbucks and cost about the same. If you purchase a coffee drink, they give you a small cookie or biscotti. But anything really good costs extra.

By the way, they sell more than coffee drinks. You can purchase cocktails and I believe wine by the glass here.

Archived