Foods not to be missed....

Grota2

the little sandwiches at the cafe' promenade late at night before going to bed

MY DH lived for those sandwiches after our excursions, he still talks about them. We are on the Serenade next week and I don't what he will do with out the sandwiches.

I love the vidalia onion tart, DH like escargot (gross) . We have always had good luck at Portofino and we like the lamb and steak as well. The thing is, if you order something and don't like it, you can get something else. So enjoy your meal time.

I am looking forward to the salad bar in the MDR for lunch, that will be new for me.

First night in MDR, try the Thai Seafood broth, flavored with lemon grass. Tried it for the first time on our last cruise. Don't know why I hadn't tried it before.

If you like hot and sour types of soup, this was the best, IMO, that I had ever had. I had three bowls of it.

Hypo

I absolutely love the mushrooms in puff pastry!!

I'll vote for that!

I think the Tutti salad for lunch on sea days in the MDR is my favorite. I also enjoy ordering the pasta dish as a side order with my main dish. I can usually find someone else at the table who will share it with me. The escargots are great.

The hot dogs at the Windjammer are really good. Most people don't bother with them, but I'm a hot dog freak. They wind up being lunch if it's not a sea day. On sea days I'm stuffing myself with MDR salad.

I can never understand people who make a big deal over the lobster. Perhaps it's because I have lived and traveled in the northeast and maritime Canada and have eaten steamed lobsters that were live when they went into the pot. To me, those little formerly frozen tails aren't really lobster.

The first night we ask the waiter to bring fruit and cheese plates to the table right away every night. They are usually sitting there waiting for us. It sure takes the edge off one's hunger to nibble a bit of cheese or a couple of grapes while waiting to be served. We make sure there are enough plates so the entire table can have some. I have been known to take the leftovers back with me for a late night snack.

Sorry to go off topic a little, but....I have seen Key Lime Pie mentioned quite often on CC. I had never heard of it but it sounds delicious :)

I will have to look on the internet for a recipe, especially the sugar-free one, being a diabetic.

I'll see if I can make it and hope it turns out better than my navy blue muffins I made the other day :eek:....blueberry. :confused:

That's going to be hard to find as the majority of recipes for key-lime pie are made with sweetened condensed milk.

I have a recipe for a pretty good key lime pie made with gelatin.

Carbohydrates are just as bad for diabetics as table sugar. A slice of white bread has as many as a tablespoon of sugar, so don't hurt yourself with "sugar-free" desserts, they aren't really all that diabetic friendly.

please pardon me if I'm hijacking the thread, but this is the first I've heard of a Mongolian Grill. Is it only open at night for dinner, never for lunch??? Also is it only of FOS??? I'll be on Radiance??

As a general rule I just love them, and will eat at one whenever I can.

Just so I don't feel to bad. I'm a tad bit nervous about the food as I am a picky eater, allergic to shellfish to boot!!! So threads like this make me happy!!! :D

Heard alot about the Savory Bites - so we tried them last week on the Oasis - they reminded me of poppy seed bagels cut into wedges. Tried them - OK, but not my first choice to pick from in the bread basket.

Not my first choice either. On IOS, the Savory Bites were a bit hard but having vowed I wasn't going to eat bread I still managed to find something scrummy from the bread basket each night and in the Windjammer each day. We loved all the food on our cruise. The kids loved the Double Chocolate Expresso Brownies from Cafe Promenade after a long day on the cruise. In terms of the MDR, it's difficult to choose. Escargots were great. The New England Style Clam Chowder was fantastic too. I also loved the steaks with the herb butter. DH chose fish most nights and was really pleased.

Be sure not to miss out Jade at Windjammer. If you choose a table at the windows, make a trip back and you will see a great selection of Asian food. You can also get a good 'sweet and sour option' close to the carvery (roast meat section).

We both gained 10 pounds on our holiday...no complaints!:rolleyes:

please pardon me if I'm hijacking the thread, but this is the first I've heard of a Mongolian Grill. Is it only open at night for dinner, never for lunch??? Also is it only of FOS??? I'll be on Radiance??

As a general rule I just love them, and will eat at one whenever I can.

Just so I don't feel to bad. I'm a tad bit nervous about the food as I am a picky eater, allergic to shellfish to boot!!! So threads like this make me happy!!! :D

The Mongolian grill is only open during dinner time in the Windjammer. It is a stir fry station where you select your meats (chicken, beef, pork, shrimp), veggies, sauce, etc., and they will stir fry it for you. It is not available on all ships. We had it a few times on the Radiance when we decided to have dinner in the Windjammer rather than the MDR.

I very much enjoy the prime rib, filet mignon, and most of the entrees I've tried on RCI.

But, what I really look forward to is very simple--it's the thick-sliced raisin bread served in the WJ at breakfast. Maybe it's because I love bread--but it's one of the food items I dream about between cruises. Strange, I know!

Archived