cavetubing

czexrus

We have a group of 12 people going on the Carnival Legend. Some want to cave tube and some just want to watch. I'm still deciding to book through the cruiseline or go on my own. First, do you book this prior to leaving?

Can you just get public transportation to where it is?

Also, if some book the excrusion can others just take taxi there to take pictures, etc.?

Cave tubing is not a tour where some can "just watch".

You book a tour. The cruise line will offer it, but at a higher price than an independent operator. Book yourself, on-line, with an independent operator. We used X-Stream Cave Tubing Co. and had a great time, but there are several very reputable companies. Do a search on these boards and you will see the same names pop up over and over again. Pick one of those.

A cave tubing tour consists of a bus ride to the site (about an hour). Then, a 40 min or so hike through the jungle, carrying your tube, life vest and head lamp. Don't let that deter you. It's not bad at all......you walk on a cleared path, the jungle canopy keeps the sun off you for the most part, it's actually very neat. I'm in my sixties and had no problem keeping up.

Once you get to the entry site to the river, that's it...........wave good-by to anyone not tubing, because for the next hour or so you will be floating down the extensive cave system, much of it in the dark. There is no way for spectators to follow along with you.

I would suggest bringing along a waterproof camera if you have one, if not, buy a cheapie at Wal-Mart, and take some photos yourself. My group took pictures of each other as we floated around, and got some pretty good shots.

Cave tubing is really fun. Maybe you can convince your whole group to go!

The Jaguar Paw company there is a post about a few down from yours states if someone is not doing an activity its $25. I don't know if that includes the lunch and use of their pool and facilites, but you may want to email them.

Archived