Shorts in dining room for women?

Is this a problem? Are there people who think that "formal night" means for the entire ship and/or if you go dressy to dinner you need to stay that way for the evening?

Yes, there are people who think that you should remain dressy for the entire evening in order to preserve the ambience. I am NOT one of those people. :eek:

The logic of allowing women to wear skirts as short as they're willing to wear and not allowing shorts has always escaped me.

Ditto: Mini skirts that barely cover you know what are okay. But nice almost knee length shorts and a great top are not. What are they thinking? City shorts can be business attire. Lynda

On non formal nights, are is it acceptable for women to wear shorts to the dining room? Lunch or Dinner sittings? This would be an Alaskan/Pacific Coast cruise in September. Question was asked of me, don't shoot the messenger.

Pete

If you want to wear shorts, whether male OR female, you won't have a problem on non formal nights.

The table next to us wore them every night. When we asked the headwaiter, he said "what can I do"?

Next time, I'm packing the shorts.

So, for my first cruise, I was planning on renting a tux through RCCL rather than hauling a suit back and forth. Will I be over-dressed for formal night? I also have all these slacks I was planning on bringing for the evenings. It sounds like I can just get by with my cargo shorts....

So, for my first cruise, I was planning on renting a tux through RCCL rather than hauling a suit back and forth. Will I be over-dressed for formal night? I also have all these slacks I was planning on bringing for the evenings. It sounds like I can just get by with my cargo shorts....

You won't be overdressed. Most men will be wearing either suits or tuxes. I usually rent a tux for the same reason. It just makes it that much easier to pack. (And, as someone who rarely has an occasion to dress up in formal attire, I think it's nice to wear the tux.)

You won't be overdressed. Most men will be wearing either suits or tuxes. I usually rent a tux for the same reason. It just makes it that much easier to pack. (And, as someone who rarely has an occasion to dress up in formal attire, I think it's nice to wear the tux.)

I see a lot more slacks and polo shirts on men than I do suits and tuxes.

Yes, there are people who think that you should remain dressy for the entire evening in order to preserve the ambience. I am NOT one of those people. :eek:

OK, well, there are people who think all sorts of things, but I suspect those who think this are longing for the 1970's cruise days. Furthermore these people are such a minority (except, perhaps here on cruise critic), that their opinion is on the tail end of the bell curve in RC's eyes, and of no importance to their policy decisions.

So, I have been reading the rules for the dress code for the MDR and I can't find anywhere where it addresses whether or not my service animal can wear shorts. Also, I don't have room to pack it's tux. Do you think that just a bow tie will be ok?

Go with nice capris or dress pants. I wouldn't wear shorts in the dining room during dinner. You are fine during breakfast and lunch. Have a great cruise!

I agree totally! I often wear capris and a nice top, even on casual nights. The dining rooms are so elegant that I feel a little out of place if I'm not a little dressed up! :)

Not to take a side either way, just my own experience, on Liberty of the Seas last Oct., majority were very dressed for both formal nights (very dressed as in suits and cocktail dresses, a few tuxedos and full-length dresses) and did stay dressed for the entire evening.

I think what you will see can be very dependent on the time of year you cruise, and the number of Europeans and South Americans on board, who like to dress. We had a lot of both on our cruise, and cruised after the summer - mid. October.

Personally, I enjoyed it. Everyone looked beautiful. It was a nice change from how we all looked up on deck during the day!

Again, just my personal thought, I also feel Americans have gotten too casual, particularly the men. Sorry, guys, but t-shirts and shorts or jeans is not as hot on the average man as it may be on a 20-something year old hunk! Just like women who don't bother to fuss, it starts to look dumpy! Most men would look sooooo much more attractive if they would take the time to put themselves together! Whether you're married or not, us girls still like to take notice! :o

So, I have been reading the rules for the dress code for the MDR and I can't find anywhere where it addresses whether or not my service animal can wear shorts. Also, I don't have room to pack it's tux. Do you think that just a bow tie will be ok?

Oh, a bow tie would be adorable! I dressed up my sister's dog with a black bow tie one year for a New Year's party!

On non formal nights, are is it acceptable for women to wear shorts to the dining room? Lunch or Dinner sittings? This would be an Alaskan/Pacific Coast cruise in September. Question was asked of me, don't shoot the messenger.

Pete

:cool:Ok Pete tell her it is ok - BUT the last woman I saw who wore shorts to dinner in the MDR looked like she put her teeth in the pockets of her cargo shorts, and was accompanied to dinner by her husband, who also happened to be her first cousin. Wear the shorts, and tell her that she will fit right in.:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN - in his tux:cool:

There will always be "folks" that say "other people were doin' it" so I did too :eek:

despite a request NOT to (by the cruiseline!)

I, for one, would like to see people turned away for showing up to dinner in shorts. Just my opinion..... flame away.

I do not involve myself in flaming, but only in positive responses; hence, I concur in your observations. People who cannot abide by this simple rule of manners are best ignored.

And yet, YOU were upset!! So, why would they choose to upset the multiple people in the dining room who are upset at looking at the (insert derogative noun of your choice), but not upset the ONE person at the door? That doesn't make sense to me.

Since I would not be upset, I can only assume they thought people would be more focus at enjoying the company of their loved one and if lucky the food. Maybe they thought for what they were serving, there would be more than enough to be upset and disappointed about. Just maybe they though everyone should grow up and stop acting catty like middle school kids. Maybe they though people like to be upset so why not give them something to be upset about before they pick on the staff. I would find it rather assuming but if it bothered me to the point of whining about it, I have the guts to walk over and ask, wt# were you thinking.

OP- depending on the shorts it could be a hit or miss. If you have long legs any shorts could like like a boodyish. If you are short most regular shorts could look like Burmuda which I have seen in the dining room. No matter what the shorts if she has the right size boobs with a banaide for a top, she is will be fine....seen that too! Boobs...double D, bandaide and a pretty smile, she won't need the shorts.

Depends on how she looks. Nicer looking folks get to bend the rules from what I've seen. :eek:

In the process of bending the rules, if they bend over with a nice tush, it's a done deal. It's about sex and dumb men....deadly combination:D

I see a lot more slacks and polo shirts on men than I do suits and tuxes.

Most of my cruises are over 7 nights and by far the suits and tuxes outnumber those less formally dressed. The poster is trying to abide by the cruiseline's "suggested" dress code. Please don't try to disuade him. :)

I think that this is the ME generation, as in "it's all about"

Who raised the ME generation and passed on these values?

The previous generation blaming the next is like slapping one in their own face. The ME generation is the parenting faliure of the previous one...isn't it!

It's clear where the parenting failure stops for now but what generation did it start with?

The ME generation is now raising the ENTITLED generation by giving them things they should earn themselves like a luxury vacation or a car. Watch ME blame THEM in a few years....smh!

Pete

Simple question, simple answer: lunch - yes, dinner - no.

Most of my cruises are over 7 nights and by far the suits and tuxes outnumber those less formally dressed. The poster is trying to abide by the cruiseline's "suggested" dress code. Please don't try to disuade him. :)

You are speaking of formal night-correct?? I've seen more shorts in the dining room-expecially on carribean theme night then I've seen a tux.

The OP asked about non-formal nights. I also notice the OP's cruise is Alaska so I'm thinking shorts is not what is in most suitcases anyways.:o

In the process of bending the rules, if they bend over with a nice tush, it's a done deal. It's about sex and dumb men....deadly combination:D

Exactly. I saw some "formal dresses" on my recent Princess Cruise that were...quite honestly...obscenely short. And I'm no prude.

But...hey...it's a dress so it's ok right?!?!?!?

Pete

That's not how I read it the OP's question. The question was specifically targeted to non formal nights. And I stand by my assessment that most men wear slacks and polos; I am seeing less and less suit coats in the MDR, formal or otherwise;).

You are speaking of formal night-correct?? I've seen more shorts in the dining room-expecially on carribean theme night then I've seen a tux.

The OP asked about non-formal nights. I also notice the OP's cruise is Alaska so I'm thinking shorts is not what is in most suitcases anyways.:o

I wasn't referring to the OP (who must be sitting back laughing his head off because he's been pulling our collective legs all this time). ;) I was referring to post #29 by Deanoldo who is now expressing concern over trying to comply with the suggest dress code.

I find it annoying when someone is trying to do the right thing and is told that he/she can do their own thing and be just fine. That may well be true but this person asked a legitimate question that deserves better of people here. It's one thing to post your own opinion but make sure people understand it's just that - your own opinion and not necessarily the posted guidelines. :mad:

Archived