Need help with Discover Scuba!!!

CruiseCouple02

Hi all... hoping I can get some guidance here! :D

My husband and I are going on 2 cruises in the next few months. We are looking to do a Discover Scuba excursion. The problem is, I cant decide which port would be the best to do this. We will be going to Nassau and Freeport on one cruise; the other will be to Cozumel and Costa Maya. Any suggestions about which port? Any suggestions about companies to go with? :confused:

Any help is very appreciated!!!

I would recommend Nassau or Cozumel. Stuart Cove`s place in Nassau would be my first choice 1st class operator very safe. Cozumel has lots of good dive operators. My DD & SIL used Sand Dollar for their discover dive it was a walk in dive. They had a great time felt very safe. The shallow reef near the port has had lots of hurricane damage that is the draw back to the walk in dive. In Nassau you dive from a boat. Have fun what ever you choose.

My husband and I did a discover scuba in Cozumel with Scuba Tony. It was excellent. It was us and the instructor that was all. I felt very comfortable due to the fact Tony is an ex LA police officer, for some reason it just made me feel safer!

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree with the first two posters, Nassau Stuart Coves or Cozumel are both very experienced at doing discover scuba programs. I have dove at Costa Maya and the dive master spoke no English, one of the women in our group was a new diver and she panicked underwater and the dive master was nowhere to be found. The rest of us had to do the rescue (she was fine just nervous and was ok once we got to the surface.) Stick with either Cozumel or Nassau or better yet if you enjoy the first one do them both! Also check with the cruise line as some ships offer the Open Water Certification class on board. Then you can do your certification dives in port and come home a certified diver!

In March of this year, I was in Cozumel and did some scubadiving with Scubatony. The group I was with consisted of 6 divers. Three of the divers were newly certified with Scubatony. They spoke with high regards for him because of the patience that he displayed and for making the lessons fun and interesting. I found Scubatony and the staff exceptional at making a person feel welcomed, relaxed and informed about the dives that they would be doing. I enjoyed my time with them so much that I will be diving with them again in February. Cozumel is a great place to learn, it has wonderful reefs and the water temperature is warm.

I cannot comment about Nassau since I was diving with more experienced divers at Stuarts Cove.

Have fun, relax and enjoy your discover scuba diving.

Archived