no passport

Travrock1

I am going on a cruise next month 3/7/05 with my mom she doesn't have a passport and has never had one we are going to mexico, san diego, and catalina we are driving so that won't be a problem she is going to bring her DL and Birth documents we are going on RCI will this be enough she has no plans that i know of to get a passport before our trip should she bring anything else I by the way have a passport that wont expire for a year or two also is it true she will need a notorizied letter from my dad saying I can go to mexico with her

from travel.state.gov :

Getting Into Mexico

The Government of Mexico requires that all U.S. citizens present proof of citizenship and photo identification for entry into Mexico. While U.S. citizenship documents such as a certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, a Naturalization Certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Citizenship are acceptable, the U.S. Embassy recommends traveling with a valid U.S. passport to avoid delays or misunderstandings. U.S. citizens have encountered difficulty boarding onward flights in Mexico without a passport. U.S. citizens boarding flights to Mexico should be prepared to present one of these documents as proof of U.S. citizenship, along with photo identification. Driver's permits, voter registration cards, affidavits and similar documents are not sufficient to prove citizenship for readmission into the United States.

Her drivers license and certified copy of birth will be all that is needed. A passport is always better, but it may be a little late for that unless she wants to pay expediting fees. We have been on this ship a couple of times, the best part of having a passport is for disembarkation, the line is much shorter.

If your mother has full custody of you, she may not need a notarized letter. But, it is always better to be safe than sorry, have your father sign a notarized letter stating she has permission to take you out of the country and authorize any medical care you may need.

To answer a question you posted elswhere, yes, you can open your ship board account with cash. Check with your cruise line to see how much is the minimum, usually around $200-300. For a 4 day cruise, it may be a little lower.

Have fun!

Archived