Galveston port ?

shyvioletisme

Our cruise is still over a year away, but wanted to get early feedback about sailing out of Galveston. It will be our first cruise, and while we live in Texas and have visited the city in the past(and it's been quite a few years since the last visit), I know absolutely nothing about the cruise terminal. We live in Central Texas and my parents are nice enough to have volunteered to take us down and pick us up, so we will be getting dropped off. How easy will this process be? We are already planning to try to get there between 10:30 and 11 and hopefully it will not be too crowded. Would just like to hear others' experiences with the ease of this terminal. Thanks in advance!

I have cruised out of Galveston more than a dozen times (I live in Houston so this is an easy port for us to get to). It is very easy to be dropped off and picked up. Your parents will be able to drop you right at the luggage drop off area and pick you up as soon as you leave the terminal. It is the easist port I have been to as far as being dropped off and picked up. When you get there you will be able to go into the terminal and wait out of the weather until they start checking people in and boarding. Enjoy reaching your cruise. I am sure you will have a good time.

If you get there right about 10:30-11:00 (not any later). You should go smoothly. We were slightly delayed from the last time we tried this and it took a bit longer than planned. But the worst you will expect is having to wait in line. It's really not to bad but then this is the only port I've been too so I have nothing to compare. The later you are the longer you'll have to wait in line.

Our cruise is still over a year away, but wanted to get early feedback about sailing out of Galveston. It will be our first cruise, and while we live in Texas and have visited the city in the past(and it's been quite a few years since the last visit), I know absolutely nothing about the cruise terminal. We live in Central Texas and my parents are nice enough to have volunteered to take us down and pick us up, so we will be getting dropped off. How easy will this process be? We are already planning to try to get there between 10:30 and 11 and hopefully it will not be too crowded. Would just like to hear others' experiences with the ease of this terminal. Thanks in advance!

Galveston is very easy to deal with. Your parents can drive you right up to the terminal where you can hand your bags over to the porters. The next time you see them your bags will be outside your cabin door.

Once shed of your bags you'll proceed into the terminal, up an escalator and into the queue for security screening... just a metal detector and an x-ray machine, nothing fancy.

From that point you'll check in, be issued your Sail & Sign card and plop down in a seat and wait for with the other two or three thousand folks to board.

Other than the waiting part it's all pretty painless!!

:)

They are suppose to do some major upgrades in preparation of getting the Magic.

Pretty much one... the articulated passenger gangway has to be replaced as it can't reach the boarding area on the Dream class ships...

I also live in Central Texas (Bosque County). We have been down to Galveston before on vacation, and at times it can be hard to get there based on traffic and weather. I would recommend getting to Galveston the day before and overnighting at an Island hotel. In fact, I just made hotel reservations today for our <first>cruise. I was able to snag a great deal at the Best Western Beachfront Inn for a total cost of $62.05! It was some kind of online managers special.

We have sailed from here several times and my parents have dropped us off too. It is very easy. We always go down the morning of the cruise and have never had any problems with traffic. Since we live 40 min away we travel up 146 to the causeway. Traffic on I-45 may be bad sometimes but never on hwy 146. Once you go over the causeway you will be exiting one of the first few exits to the cruise terminal so no seawall traffic to contend with. Have a great cruise, Galveston is very nice!

Thank you for all of you responses. I'm really glad to hear that Galveston is so easy to deal with!

I also live in Central Texas (Bosque County). We have been down to Galveston before on vacation, and at times it can be hard to get there based on traffic and weather. I would recommend getting to Galveston the day before and overnighting at an Island hotel. In fact, I just made hotel reservations today for our <first>cruise. I was able to snag a great deal at the Best Western Beachfront Inn for a total cost of $62.05! It was some kind of online managers special.

I'm not sure staying overnight would be possible for us, but we have considered it. I guess we'll have to decide as it gets closer. We are leaving on a Sunday though, so traffic wouldn't be too bad in the Houston area to begin with.

No traffic on Sundays but sometimes they pick the weekend to shut down the freeway for repairs, etc. Just check the DOT website for Houston before hand to check for any road closures.

Those major construction projects

that have caused problems in the past are completed. :D

As example, the major fly over from

I/45 to bypass around Webster to Nasa Rd One and other expansions of I/45 are completed .

Sunday should not a problem at all,:D

unless there is a major circumstancial accident!

Pretty much one... the articulated passenger gangway has to be replaced as it can't reach the boarding area on the Dream class ships...

OK, I am new to cruising, but from what I gather, the Magic (a Dream class ship) is really, really BIG. I have also read somewhere that the Ecstasy is moving to NOL next year. Is the cruise traffic from Galveston steady enough to justify the larger liner? I take it that the Magic would be the one doing the 7 night cruises, not the 4 & 5 night ones? What ship will be replacing the Ecstasy?

My, aren't I just full of questions? <- ooops, another question - but it's a rhetorical one, so it shouldn't count.

OK, I am new to cruising, but from what I gather, the Magic (a Dream class ship) is really, really BIG. I have also read somewhere that the Ecstasy is moving to NOL next year. Is the cruise traffic from Galveston steady enough to justify the larger liner? I take it that the Magic would be the one doing the 7 night cruises, not the 4 & 5 night ones? What ship will be replacing the Ecstasy?

My, aren't I just full of questions? <- ooops, another question - but it's a rhetorical one, so it shouldn't count.

Last I heard the Triumph will replace the Ectasy. The Conquest and Ectasy will move to New Orleans. The port can handle the ship fine. I'm not sure what you mean by "traffic". I can tell you that those ships are often FULL.

Galveston Capacity

This year and Next Year

Voyager/Mariner Passenger Capacity: 3,114 - November 2010 to May 2011 / November 2011 to May 2012

Next Year

Magic Passenger Capacity: 3690 - Year around

Triumph Passenger Capacity: 2758 - Year around

Galveston Capacity

This year and Next Year

Voyager/Mariner Passenger Capacity: 3,114 - November 2010 to May 2011 / November 2011 to May 2012

Next Year

Magic Passenger Capacity: 3690 - Year around

Triumph Passenger Capacity: 2758 - Year around

Wow! I guess this is Carnivals way of saying that this port has been underserved! I didn't realize that Galveston generated that much cruise traffic.

I hope that their bookings remain solid during the "big bump" due next quarter. I would think that cruising is considered recreation and disposable income may not be there for many if the economy turns downward as predicted.

If we fly into Houston, how far is it to the port? Is there a shuttle?

Houston Hobby (HOU) is about 45 minutes to an hour from Galveston. George Bush Intercontinental (IAH) is about 1.5 to 2 hours from Galveston.

Archived