Jamaica - Should Carnival take it off it's roster??

LCTXcruiser

"For those of you who don’t speak Spanish, directly translated from the most ancient dialect, “Ensenada” means “stay on the ship.” There’s a similar word among the Caribbean languages, “Jamaica.”

That's pretty funny :D

Jamacia is the least favorite location we have ever visited. Would not bother me at all to NEVER see Jamacia again. I would love for all the cruise lines to drop it until the Jamacian people start showing some respect for the people that are paying them. No tourists, no economy.

Doug

I agree if you are paying them for sex, drugs, weed or to get your hair braided.....are you? Respect is earned or granted not bought and your US$ can't buy that in Jamaica, even with the poverty.. When you step into another person's house/country you grant them respect. You are a foreigner, how do you earn respect because you are American, possible white, with $$$

The biggest benefactor of tourism in Jamaica is the corrupted government unless you buy the craft, sex, get your hair braided, or weed. The Jamaican governmant has sold out the island and her people to foreign investors wishing to turn it into another Cancun (look at new resorts). Aside, the Jamaica people number over 2.5 millions. Are you that selfish to think the few you meet should affect the well being of babies, women and children in other parishes and districts outside of Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. How much have you paid?:confused:

JAMAICANS GET MORE FROM REMITTANCE THAN TOURISM.

NO,

We were there the week of August 1st. We rode the bus. Paid $15.oo for all day pass. Went to several different locations and had no problems other than some full busses when we wanted to get on. We stopped at ons spot where they were very pushy about going into their shops but I also got the best deals. I for one enjoyed my stay in Jamaica! So I say NO! I was aked 2 times if I wanted some smoke for my head. I answered NO and that was the end of it. I have also been asked that in my home town USA. So not much different IMO.

There is an open smoke shop, product offered but not forced. The presence of weed makes a lot of people feel unsafe. What is your definition of unsafe: presence of poor, blacks, weed, poverty, aggressive vendors, sex. Feeling unsafe is like feeling loved, it works differently for everyone. I do not feel safe in Virgina because of one incident. NY City, I won't even consider.

Nine Miles is outside of the tourist rubbish that goes on in Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. You will come across kids who have never seen or interacted with a white person. Locals who shy away from you out of uncertainty, while other embraces you with warmth.

Thanks for your advise, this trip appeals to me even more now, I want to see some real Jamaican culture, smoking of weed does not worry me think this trip is the one for me plus I love the music.

I have been to Jamaica 3 times. Once in 1979 to Montego Bay 2 times in the last decade to Ocho Rios. They are terrible cities in an awful country where dignity is denied its' citizens and thus they lie to and harass to earn a buck, they want what we take for granted FREEDOM...Until things can be corrected in Jamaica it should be removed as a major cruise port. I will relay just one story about Montego Bay... we stayed at a hotel there on our honeymoon. One day as we sat sunbathing by the pool the Jamaican army marched in and surrounded the pool for no particular reason..I was terrified and wanted to come home. Now 30 years and two cruises later I will never go back..........

Later,

Rhonda aka mucklucks

Having lived in Jamaica for two years (went on vacation and didn't return), I would tell travellers to venture outside of the major touristy spots to see the real Jamaica. They, although often poorer than some other caribbean countries are some of the warmest people I've ever met. I had the opportunity to see many cruise ships come and go and I was astonished by the amount of travellers looking for weed or walking around turning up their noses at people walking by or holding on to their bags so tightly terrified that some "local" may steal it oh ya and don't forget the men getting off and wanting a "piece" of Jamaica. It's funny how perspectives change when you're on the other side. Get a reference from someone who had a great cab and go to Mobay for an hour or climb Dunns for an hour then get in the cab, check out the rest of the island stop at one of many beautiful beaches grab a red stripe some jerk pork listen to some reggae....Smile, be firm and friendly and you'll have an amazing time.

Wow I was going to book the Bob Marley tour through Carnival, has anyone done this tour and felt unsafe? Im a bit worried about this now.

i have done the bob marley tour. not through a cruise. we were there on a land vacation and hired a local to take us there.

if you book through carnival you should have no worries. just be informed that once inside the compound, they will approach you to buy marijuana. it is legal to sale and smoke within the confines of the marley compound.

Archived