Carnival Pride Review...Aug 15th-22nd 2010

MikeACY

Carnival Pride

This was my 13th cruise and 6th on Carnival. We took the Carnival Pride out of Baltimore August 15th-22nd 2010 to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and Freeport. I added reviews about those Islands else ware on this site. So I’ll just review the ship here.

Embankment:

All 4 of us arrived at noon. Check in was simple, but we weren’t able to board until 1:30. They put everyone into zones…so you boarded when your zone was called. The earlier you arrived, the sooner you boarded the ship. Unlike other cruise lines, the dinning room is NOT open. If you wish to eat, you need to go to the top deck. Two of us (my daughter and nice) set up cash accounts…but not until we boarded the ship. What was nice was they were able to add and take out money during the week. Some cruise lines, for example NCL, don’t allow you to take money out once you put it in until the last day.

Take note….Carnival allows one 750ml per person over 21 of wine or Champaign, 12 non alcoholic items per person, and a small cooler no larger then 12 x 12 x 12. And they do check the size…my brother in laws was 13 inches on one side and they would not allow it thru. Anyways, all 4 of us (over 21) took on a wine bottle, some of us brought along 12 cans of soda, and my daughter and niece took on and carried a case of 24 waters. Don’t bring the wine bottle into a lounge or dinning room..they will charge you a “Corking” fee. Just bring with you a glass filled with your wine.

Ship impression:

Very clean…however dark…very dark. I felt like I was in a haunted mansion at times. Décor/pictures….I’m guessing out of the Greek/Roman ages mixed with American history? Naked statues that showed all…women and men. Everywhere you looked there were pictures…drawings of naked women/breasts. Now I am not a prude by any means…but for a family ship?? Moms had there hands full as their little ones pointed, laughed and even touched the décore. The ship tended to be on the cold side. My wife was always in a light jacket or long sleeves.

There were always lounge chairs available on deck. There are three pools…one for the adults…and 3 hot tubs….one for the adults.

Room:

I had a partially obstructed balcony. Life boat even with the balcony floor. Nice room. Larger then on most cruise ships. Room steward….what room steward. I never saw the guy…never introduced himself. But that was just him….others in our group had no complaints. Don’t forget to bring a multi plug electrical cord. There is only one electrical outlet in the room…none in the bath room. And with camera chargers, ipods, etc etc, you will need more then one outlet. Don’t worry, you will not blow a fuse….I have hooked up as many was 6 things with no problems. Air Conditioning worked great. Room was always clean.

Food:

Very good. Dinner was very good. Lobster night, excellent!! I found the breakfast however in the dinning room to be on the cold side. 24 hour ice cream, 24 hour pizza….BUT the pizza guy at night was going crazy. He was making and serving the pizza. He had to continue to run in and out of the kitchen doors to fill the orders. I think Carnival should have at least two people there…one making and one serving. The line would have been much shorter..

Oh..and no more Mid night buffets…none!! Carnival did away with them all…according to our waiter. But that’s ok….we didn’t need to eat anymore..lol

Entertainment:

Not good. This is were I see the ship is cutting back on. The cruise director Kirk was excellent. However all the shows consisted of the same Carnival Dancers/singers. It was the same type of show…dancing along with the two singers. Boring!!! No magician..no variety. And to top if off, there was no main show on Thursday or Saturday!!!. I have never seen that before. Also according to cruise director Kirk, Carnival was trying something new. It was a comedy show at the lounge on the first flow. They generally had two shows in the evening…one PG and one for adults at 11:45. The comedians were actually funny. I enjoyed the “new” Carnival idea. Also Carnival had the usual Newlywed, Quest type of shows. They were good.

Islands:

Please see my separate reviews of Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and Freeport.

Excursions:

Didn’t do any…did all on my own.

Dissembarkment:

Had to be out of our rooms by 9:30. Shipped docked at 10. We sat around in lounges until our “zone” numbers were called. Zone numbers were issued the night before by our room steward. They were on our luggage tags. We didn’t get called to exit the ship until 12:30! The passengers who were able to walk off with ALL their belongings were able to leave earlier. So if you’re able to pack light, and carry everything off, including your purchases, you’re able to leave earlier.

Summary.

I like the new written policy Carnival has allowing non alcoholic items allowed to be carried onto the ship.

I did notice that they were cutting back on things…the shows…and even the food portions were slightly smaller. But since you can have as much as you want, the last is no problem.

The ship was very clean, but dark.

Food…very good…but sometimes cold…

Also, the entertainment didn’t live up to the “Party” atmosphere that I expected or had on past Carnival Cruises.

Literary on the Island were short and arrival times were too early, but I knew that before I booked.

Had a good time. Carnival did a good job…Any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

I agree with what you said.....I had a ball.....but Island time is short but I knew this [price we pay to cruise out of Baltimore], Island time has been longer when cruising from Florida. I think they should have a waffle, pancake station like they do for omellets that way they will be served hot.

Other than that it was a great cruise.

Where would I find those? :confused:

I think Cruise Critic pulled my reviews because I didn't have favorable opinions on a few things. Send me your email, and I'll send you my reviews. After all it is only my opinion and observations.

Take care

Mike

Can you tell me how "obstructed" the view is in the obstructed view balcony rooms? We are probably booking a cruise on the Pride in the next few days and are going back and forth between a regular ocean view room and one of the obstructed view balcony rooms.

Thanks so much!

Can you tell me how "obstructed" the view is in the obstructed view balcony rooms? We are probably booking a cruise on the Pride in the next few days and are going back and forth between a regular ocean view room and one of the obstructed view balcony rooms.

Thanks so much!

The obstructed view we had wasn't bad at all. The top of the life boat was even with the floor of the balcony. So you couldn't see straight down. We were located toward the middle of the boat. However, there a few larger life boats toward the front of the ship. These will obstruct your vision half way up the balcony.

100_3327.jpg.6aafe754b98634682f9b259d971bf014.jpg

Thanks for the picture. Our cabin should be very similiar. We'll be in 5180 and it gives me a good idea of what ours will look like!!

I don't know where 5180 is...but just make sure it isn't near the two larger life boats located near the front of the ship. You balcony will be obstructed more if it is.

I think Cruise Critic pulled my reviews because I didn't have favorable opinions on a few things. Send me your email, and I'll send you my reviews. After all it is only my opinion and observations.

Take care

Mike

Hi Mike,

I don't think your reviews were 'pulled' by Cruise critic but simply moved to the appropriate boards?

I found your freeport one here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1260418&highlight=

For some reason you buried your HMC review on another thread (Private Islands - All things HMC - post #479):

Half Moon Cay information

Half Moon Cay

Half Moon Cay is a beautiful Island owed by Holland American, a subsidiary of Carnival Cruise Lines. We arrived on the Carnival Pride at 9am. The ship is unable to dock, so we needed to tender to shore. In stead of everyone heading for the tenders, Carnival has everyone pick up a number at the Karaoke Bar. We didn’t know this, and would have planned accordingly….like get up a little earlier. So we had to sit for almost an hour until our number was called. We were there only until 5…but the last tender was at 4:15. Funny thing….the cruise director was making announcements prior to everyone getting on the tenders how it was important that we don’t miss the last tender, and he suggested getting the 2-2:15 tenders and not wait for the last ones….after all, you don’t want to be left behind. Us, being our 13th cruise, knew this was a scare tactic and knew that in no way would they leave you behind! But his scare tactic worked….the place was almost deserted by 3pm!!! We got on the 3:40 tender. Too bad they left early..the place was beautiful. Basically the cruise ship “moves” to the Island. You have your normal bar waiters/waitresses, they have a nice BBQ set up toward the back of the place, 3 sit down bars…one on the beach. There are open cabañas to rent, as well as shelters. Parasailing, snorkeling (I bring my own stuff), mats and tubes are also for rent. The only complaint I have is most of the beach lounge chairs were in direct sun….no palm tree shade. If you wanted those, there were some on the far end of the beach….but you better get up early and get the first few numbers to get those.

Hi Mike,

I don't think your reviews were 'pulled' by Cruise critic but simply moved to the appropriate boards?

I found your freeport one here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1260418&highlight=

For some reason you buried your HMC review on another thread (Private Islands - All things HMC - post #479):

Half Moon Cay information

Half Moon Cay

Half Moon Cay is a beautiful Island owed by Holland American, a subsidiary of Carnival Cruise Lines. We arrived on the Carnival Pride at 9am. The ship is unable to dock, so we needed to tender to shore. In stead of everyone heading for the tenders, Carnival has everyone pick up a number at the Karaoke Bar. We didn’t know this, and would have planned accordingly….like get up a little earlier. So we had to sit for almost an hour until our number was called. We were there only until 5…but the last tender was at 4:15. Funny thing….the cruise director was making announcements prior to everyone getting on the tenders how it was important that we don’t miss the last tender, and he suggested getting the 2-2:15 tenders and not wait for the last ones….after all, you don’t want to be left behind. Us, being our 13th cruise, knew this was a scare tactic and knew that in no way would they leave you behind! But his scare tactic worked….the place was almost deserted by 3pm!!! We got on the 3:40 tender. Too bad they left early..the place was beautiful. Basically the cruise ship “moves” to the Island. You have your normal bar waiters/waitresses, they have a nice BBQ set up toward the back of the place, 3 sit down bars…one on the beach. There are open cabañas to rent, as well as shelters. Parasailing, snorkeling (I bring my own stuff), mats and tubes are also for rent. The only complaint I have is most of the beach lounge chairs were in direct sun….no palm tree shade. If you wanted those, there were some on the far end of the beach….but you better get up early and get the first few numbers to get those.

Thanks but I can't still find my negataive review on Jacks Shack anywhere...i'll keep looking

Archived