couple questions

We are going to be in: St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk, Belize, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Roatan, and Nassau in November.

question 1: if we are diving more than once would it be beneficial to carry our gear with us? I am considering it as we are going to be diving in Key Largo 2 days before the cruise leaves.

question 2: Do we need a wet suit? I dove and got certified last December and we didn't use wet suits as it was warm enough to not wear them. I am not sure if I should pack mine just in case or not.

question 3: what is a good way to carry the gear without using a mesh bag?

Thanks

Amanda

Sounds like you are doing b2b cruises. I did the same the same ports on my b2b cruise on the Glory this past March. I brought my equipment and wetsuit ( 3mm ) when I did the cruise. If you are planning on diving at most of the ports, bring a wetsuit because you will get cold. I brought my own equipment because I am familiar with it and I can count on it being maintained properly. When carrying my equipment, I used my mesh bag. You picked a great itinarary to dive. Lots of various reefs and types of dives are available to you. You are going to have a great time!:)

Cold?? The water temp should still be 72-78 in those areas in November. We were just diving in Lake Michigan a few weeks ago and it was 65 degree water and some of us skipped wet suits on the shallow dives 50-60ft. But on the other hand last year in Tobago the water was 80-85 and we had a lady with us who was wearing 2 wetsuits and still freezing. So no one can give you the answer, you have to figure out what cold means to you. I have dove in many Carrib places in Nov-March and personally never needed a wetsuit, just trunks and a tee-shirt. And I have never been cold, but I have seen others lips turn blue and face turn ashen while wearing a 5mm in the same waters and then they stay in the wetsuit to warm up on deck after the dive.

When I stated cold , it was meant for multiple days of multiple dives. You are correct that each persons tolerance should dictate their choices. I was stating my personal choice and experience. I did not feel cold till the 3rd day of diving.

Archived