A question about Airline tickets?

Martita B.

Yes, it is a "random check"......I have never been "searched", but I'm sure this is a hassle, to say the least. I flew out of Ft. Lauderdale in Dec. and for some unknown reason one of the Security Officer's wanted to go through my purse. He "dug and dug AND dug".......went thru' my wallet, thru' my small make-up purse, literally searched everything in the handbag. When he couldn't find anything, he said, "well, you're clear!" No explanation needed.

I have a good friend (former U.S. Attorney) who is now on the "NO fly" list! (We often fly together)Talk about a misunderstanding? He has the misfortune of having the same name as a "watch list suspect!" He is only delayed for a few minutes, but nevertheless, it's a nuisance!

I'm going to start looking at the bottom right hand corner of the boarding pass....

MB

It's mostly random, although if you buy a one-way ticket at the last minute it seems to trigger it.

It's always SSSS. No other combination of S or X.

We went on the QM2 Jan 29, and cashed in miles to fly First Class on AA.

None of the three of us had it going to Miami, but Bob got it coming back from Ft. Lauderdale. He's only had it once in the past few years.

Since we live in San Francisco and I work in Seattle for a major airline, we fly two to three times a month, so twice in three years isn't bad.

If you are travelling with someone else who doesn't have the SSSS on the boarding pass, let him/her carry as much of your stuff as possible. Bob was being a gentleman, took my rolling bag plus his hand carry, and it took fifteen minutes for him to get through. If he had noticed the SSSS on his pass, I would have taken everything with me.

Good luck!

Frances

SSSS is part of the supposed extra security. EVERYONE in the know realizes this is stupid, but it continues. Why is it stupid?

1 - They give you advance notice so if you are a bad buy, you might just skip the flight.

2 - Since you have advance notice, you can just give your bags to someone else.

3 - They have known ways to flag SOME people, like one way tickets, change of flights, etc. Ya think maybe the bad guys have already figured this out??? Duh1

What a waste of our tax money and time.

If you pay with cash that also triggers the SSSSS. As has been mentioned already, you would think that maybe, just maybe the bad guys would have the checkpoint routine figured out by now. But leave it to our newest bloated government bureacracy to be a little slow on the switch of common sense. I'm positive they believe that if they strip search enough 80+ year olds, "they'll find one who's dirty by golly". One of the biggest problems with the TSA is that many of their rules and procedures are fueled by politics and not intelligence. Unfortunately, I think the only thing the new and improved security checkpoint regimen has done (besides create a new huge consumer of tax dollars) is to give many of us the false sense that we are dramatically more safe than before 9-11 when traveling by air and has also driven many travelers, especially business travelers to patronize alternatives such as taking trains and driving longer distances. I'd much rather drive 2-2.5 hrs these days than spend 5 negotiating an airport for a 30-40 minute flight. It is my heartfelt opinion that regardless of the topic, those who wish to commit evil will, given time and resources regardless of the counter measures. I know, its a sad statement about the world in which we live but in my mind true. But I guess in the end, any effort is better than none.

Archived