thrifty rental in hilo

findmewdw

We have a rental scheduled for Maui from Thrifty through the Hawaiian Cruise Ship link that has been on the boards. We tried thrifty through this same link for Hilo and the price is extremely higher than Budget or Enterprise really double the price. Why is that? We've rented from Thrifty before. Is Budget okay for this island? I just thought it is a bit strange that Thrifty would be double the price that we can get it with the other car rental companies.

Thank you so much for your answers! This board is wonderful!

We have a rental scheduled for Maui from Thrifty through the Hawaiian Cruise Ship link that has been on the boards. We tried thrifty through this same link for Hilo and the price is extremely higher than Budget or Enterprise really double the price. Why is that? We've rented from Thrifty before. Is Budget okay for this island? I just thought it is a bit strange that Thrifty would be double the price that we can get it with the other car rental companies.

Are you talking about http://hawaiicruisecars.com/ ? Did you plug in the rate code given there?

My only other guess is that perhaps they have sold out, or nearly sold out, of the type of vehicle you want. When I arrived at the Hilo airport to pick up my mini-van, there was someone standing right next to me trying to get a mini-van, but they were all sold out.

Yes, that is the correct site and the code is plugged in. I would understand if they are almost sold out of one type of car, but all the cars are double the price of Budget and it is just for this island. Kaui's is comparable to the other agencies. I just find it very odd. I'll try again tomorrow, maybe it is just a fluke.

What time did you request for pickup for your cars too? On the days when we have to be back on the ship by 5, what time did you list as return? We're trying to finalize cars now.

What time did you request for pickup for your cars too? On the days when we have to be back on the ship by 5, what time did you list as return? We're trying to finalize cars now.

I went ahead and put down the times the ship arrives and departs the port. I don't think you have to be too exact, other than you want to put down a pick-up time that is at least a little earlier than when you think you are going to get there.

At this point Hilo is the only port I was not going to rent a car. However, that could change so I am also interested in why it is so high as you say. I am renting minivans in the other ports. Knowing how limited they are I am reserving them now for our May cruise.

If any other couple in our group of 3 couples decides to do go off on their own that day I hope to be able to cancel the minivan and rent a smaller car. It seems that I am the only one in our group interested in making plans this early!:rolleyes:

I booked for our Cruise April 2011 with Thrifty and was quoted a much higher rate for Hilo and was told this is because they have not yet set their 2011 rates and that I can reserve the vehicle and call back to have the rate adjusted once they have been posted. I am under no obligation to pay the rate quoted for a mid size car- I just wanted to make sure we had a vehicle booked. I was also told I can call and check the rates at anytime and re adjust - I got my blue chip membership, used the the code quoted from the web site and called directly and spoke with a very nice agent in person !

I called Thrifty today about the Hilo rental and the agent said they were out of rentals for that day. This is for the first week of October. I never would have thought rentals would be gone a month out. Those of you who are renting months ahead, good thinking!

I have a rental made from Budget. I hope we'll be happy with Budget. Anybody used Budget?

• 2 weeks later...

I am doing a weekly research report for my traveling companions. Next week I want to focus on Hilo. Could someone please tell me how much the cab fare to the airport for a car rental is in Hilo? Also, the time frame needed to get to the airport for the car rental and how long should be allowed for the return? I understand that there is not a free shuttle to the car rentals in this port. Am I correct in that? Thank you.:)

All of the major car rental companies in Hilo run shuttles from the pier to the rental desks at the airport. The pier and the airport are very close to each other...you can see the cruise ship from the airport. It is only a few miles drive.

Perhaps you are mistaking Kona for Hilo.

All of the major car rental companies in Hilo run shuttles from the pier to the rental desks at the airport. The pier and the airport are very close to each other...you can see the cruise ship from the airport. It is only a few miles drive.

Perhaps you are mistaking Kona for Hilo.

I went back and checked and you are right. I may have been looking at the Kona information and confused the two. Thank you for pointing that out. From what you say it looks as if a car rental would not be difficult in Hilo after all. How much time should be allowed for picking up/returning the car rental?

Archived