Is May a rainy Season??? I'm worried now!

36web

I saw something last night on the weather channel about the month of May being the rainy season in South America... I didn't even think about the weather when we booked our cruise to the Western Carribean. Does anyone know if May is really bad weather montth to go to the Carribbean?

Has anyone had nothing but rain on their cruises and excursions...with my luck that'll happen to us!

Last May we were on the Golden out of San Juan. We had nice weather, and some rainy weather. It seemed to rain a bit at least once every day. Sometimes it was a short rain but then cleared up quickly with the sun coming right back out - never had a thunderstorm. In Antigua, it rained just about the entire day. When we arrived back in San Juan, they had 5 inches of rain just that day. We stayed one night post cruise there and swam in the ocean while it rained. With all that said, we still had a great time and we're booked again on the alternate Golden itinerary next month. Am hoping we won't have as much rain in March, but I'm sure we'll have an awesome time again no matter what happens. Just can't control mother nature ;).

~Paul

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Most of South America is below the Equator, meaning it is in the Southern Hemisphere. So May down there would be like Oct/Nov here...rainy season. It's our Spring, but their Fall. Just the reverse. (It's why many Australians go to the beach on Christmas Day!) Caribbean cruises are in the Northern Hemisphere, meaning that May is not during hurricane season there. I've often cruised in May to the Caribbean, and have had great weather! Yes..you can get a few showers now and then, but not too bad. Just keep in mind, though, that the hurricane season for the Northern Hemisphere officially goes from June 1 to Nov. 30.

Do you know which airline is the least expensive for flights between Miami and San Juan, Puerto Rico? We are hoping to cruise on the Golden Princess in March 2006.

I think American Airlines would be your very best bet. They're also having some great deals now!

Archived