Horrible dive etiquette

GiniB

As far as diving with the camera goes, I hold a PADI Rescue Diver card, have been open water certified for over 20 years, and have been taking my camera along for the last few years.

Still, if I haven't been in the water for a while, if it's a new environment for me, or if I have other tasks that will seriously task load me, I usually leave it at home or on the boat until I feel more comfortable.

Now I have another question. By the way my wife is the one that thinks I'm a moron. She probably knows things about me that you guys don't. Just kidding:

I've heard that some divers take a decongestant before diving to help keep sinuses clear. Is there any advantage to this or is it a bad idea? I really do not like to take any more medication than I have to, so if this is true, and only if its true, what do you recommend?

GiniB: Where is smack dab in the middle of the USA? I'm originally from NW Missouri and many people considered it in the middle. Later: Dan

if i have very light drainage (i.e. like a mild allergy) i'll pop a couple of pseudophed about 20-30min before the first dive - but if it's the kind of congestion that has my nose at all plugged-up then i simply won't dive... too much chance of a reverse block (where the decongestant clears long enough to get me down then wears-off so I stop-back-up and have difficulty ascending).

do i routinely do it? depends on how you quantify routine... i probably take them 30-40% of the time... is that routine? :confused: ;)

If you don't need medication, don't take it before diving. Unless you have a reason to take it, and know what the side effects are going to be, dive without anything onboard. Tarkus is right that if your nose is all plugged up, stay on the beach that day.

If you must take something, take it before you go on vacation to see what side effects you might have. Even something like pseudafed can affect people differently, and the last thing you want is to be surprised at depth by a weird side effect.

I suffer from motion sickness so I wear a seasick patch when I dive, but before I ever dove with it, I wore one for a couple of days to see how it would affect me. I'm lucky in that it only gives me a slight dry mouth, but since I know it dries me out a little, I make sure to keep well hydrated while diving.

I don't really have any sinus problems normally, but when I did my open water, after the first dive, I was somewhat congested. Thats when one guy said that he takes decongestants when he dives. I didn't try it for the rest of my dives, but since you guys have been so helpful, I just wanted more advice regarding this. Occasionally, in our climate in Oklahoma, I will have some sinus or allergy problems, but never anything prolonged.

I agree completly with not diving if I feel any kind of sickness.

I've never had motion sickness on a cruise, but I did once on a whale watching venture off San Francisco when I lived out that way. We were on about a 60' boat and running in about 8 ft. swells. Do you think I might feel the same effects on the dive boat? If so, would it be a good idea to take something a day or so in advance?

Once again, thanks for all the advice. This is great: Dan

I know quite a few divers who take dramamine or bonine the night before they dive. They say it keeps occasional sea sickness away, but I wouldn't know for sure. I'm very prone to the malady, so won't dive with anything but a patch.

On that subject, if anyone wears a patch while diving, make sure to secure it to your neck with an additional piece of waterproof tape. I've seen far too many divers come up without their patch and I always feel sorry that a fish might die from eating it. I bought a roll of waterproof athletic tape that I trim to secure my patch firmly to my neck. Never lost one yet!

8-10 foot seas, in that size boat - esp if there's little-to-no breeze - will likely get the best of the heartiest of souls (even done it myself... and i'm a sailor :eek: ). if i have any doubts i'll pop a bonine about an hour before i dive, and have never had any side effects from it during the dive.

i also note that getting back aboard the boat in those kinds of seas is no fun either... especially since i seem to bruise easier with each passing year! :rolleyes:

I have minor sinus problems almost year around due to allergies. This sometimes makes clearing my ears difficult and I find that a pseudoephedrine ("Sudafed") taken in the morning before a dive will help with this.

If you have a seriously stuffed up head (such as with a head cold), it'd probably be better to skip the dive. No amount of decongestant will help you clear your ears and you may injure something trying.

"Smack dab in the middle" is Marshfield, MO, which is about 35 miles east of the geographic center of the contiguous US. It is also a loooooooong way from the nearest salt water diving, hence the balance on my frequent flyer account!:o

I sort of figured that it was somewhere in Mo. I am originally from Maryville and lived in K.C. for many years. Most people from Mo. feel that it is in the middle of the country.

Does anyone know about the Cabo San Lucas and Zihautenejo areas of Mexico? What kind of areas they dive in etc? I have heard that Cabo is the better of the two, but I thought maybe someone has dived there that would know. Also, is there a good website to check on diving conditions etc.?

Thanks for the info on the dramimine. I will probably do that. Not sure about the Sudafed. Later: Dan

I have 'wet' ears and sinuses, and usually take either Contac or Sudafed at the beginning of every dive day. If I forget, my forehead will usually remember somewhere on the way down for dive #2.

Back in my yahoo days, I went diving twice with a cold. Once is usually enough to convince most people.

Stupid dive #1 was a 100'+ 1 tanker in West Palm Beach. Going down was relatively easy because I held my ears open and doubletimed for the bottom on one breath, but coming up I had to keep checking that I didn't really have an ice pick lodged in my forehead.

Stupid cold dive #2 was in a spring, and I got stuck on an ascent line about 30 feet down with one ear squeezed and the other reversed. Talk about "damned if you do and damned if you don't". After a few minutes that felt like hours, I managed to get them both the same way and came up.

Happy diving!

Wendy

This has been a good thread....Really good to read.. I am going to take scuba diving lessons in April and looking forward to being able to dive in Hawaii in October. I snorkeled in Princess Cays and loved it........Scared the fish though when I saw them and went "wow" underwater....lol... But I hope I can get certified. I have a slight fear of water when unable to touch bottom or things are out of my control... I'm trying to get over that... But when one's cousin tries to drown her, it sticks with a girl.... Any advice for someone going to take lessons and does have a slight fear of water? I love the ettiquette mentioned and will always try to do the utmost to be a good snorkeler and scuba diver.... So many good tips.. Thanks to those who have posted....:)

This has been a good thread....Really good to read.. I am going to take scuba diving lessons in April and looking forward to being able to dive in Hawaii in October. I snorkeled in Princess Cays and loved it........Scared the fish though when I saw them and went "wow" underwater....lol... But I hope I can get certified. I have a slight fear of water when unable to touch bottom or things are out of my control... I'm trying to get over that... But when one's cousin tries to drown her, it sticks with a girl.... Any advice for someone going to take lessons and does have a slight fear of water? I love the ettiquette mentioned and will always try to do the utmost to be a good snorkeler and scuba diver.... So many good tips.. Thanks to those who have posted....:)

Best advice for someone who isn't totally comfortable in the water:

**GO SLOW with your training. Don't do a 3 day certification course, do the 3 week one to give yourself lots of time to practice skills and become confident in the water.

**Make sure you have an excellent instructor and inform him/her of your fears in the water.

**Take your time in doing the skills and don't compare yourself to anyone in the class. If it takes you 10x to be able to do a mask clear comfortably and everyone else gets it in 2, so what? Take the 10x to practice, we're talking about YOUR life and your enjoyment underwater, not theirs.

**Be prepared to ask for additional pool time or private lessons if you need it. You want to be 100% confident in your pool skills prior to going to open water.

**Keep in mind all the time that you're learning LIFE SUPPORT skills when you're doing your open water training. These are the skills that will keep you alive underwater if something goes wrong.

**Relax and have fun!

**When you go to Hawaii in October, pick a dive operator who will give you the attention you'll need as a newbie diver. If you are still somewhat uncomfortable in the water, tell the DM and ask if you can stay close to them. They would much prefer to have you tell them of your concerns than have you have trouble on the dive.

Let us know where you're going in Hawaii. I'm sure the board can recommend an excellent operator for you to book with. I know I can recommend one in Maui.

Hi Hilary

Thanks for all the information you posted.... I will acutally print alot of this thread as a reminder. lol....... I am doing the 3 weeks course....actually almost 4 weeks.... I want so bad to learn and overcome this so I am highly motivated.... We are going to honolulu for 4 days prior to the cruise aboard the Pride of America so am hoping to scuba dive there. I am the only one in my party who will scuba dive so I'll have to find a divemaster to go with..... I know there are excursions... I'm very excited.... I am looking forward to going back sometime with my boyfriend who's a scuba diver.... But he may be too experienced for me.....I wouldn't want to hold him back.......lol........ Thanks again for the info.......:D

• 4 weeks later...
Best advice for someone who isn't totally comfortable in the water:

**GO SLOW with your training. Don't do a 3 day certification course, do the 3 week one to give yourself lots of time to practice skills and become confident in the water.

I know the longer the better, but what would you recommend to someone with a very hectic schedule? If my local rec center was still offering a course it wouldn't be a problem but it seems the lack of enrollment/interest has cause them to cancel the course.

I'm sure there are folks out there that cringe at the "Discover SCUBA" program but that's what I did in Coz a few years ago and was hooked.

Like another poster I do have certain fears about the water but I think mine stem from watching to many movies:rolleyes:

Livtojump-

I can sympathize with the busy schedule, and the long classes can be a bore.

I would advise getting the book beforehand, and actually reading and doing the exercises before you ever get to class. That way, you will be reviewing, rather than seeing fresh material.

Equally as important will be to practice your skills beforehand. The skills most people have trouble with are the mask skills. Learning to clear your mask, take it off, and and put it on again underwater is vital, and can be learned in a pool at your own speed.

Believe me, you WILL need the mask skill. I have a tendency to sneeze during the safety stop. Very amusing for my companions, and it's much neater to take the mask off then to get rid of the snot before surfacing.

Another handy skill is to learn how to breathe through some water in a snorkel. Roll the tip of your tongue back, and press the underside of your tongue to the back of your front teeth. This way, errant splatters will hit the bottom of your tongue, and you won't choke.

...and quit watching bad movies!!!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of diving!

Wendy

Reading this has reminded me of just how great other divers can be .... it always seems the more experienced divers are SO willing to help the newbies! (Although I have met a few of those 'I've been diving for ten years & know everything' coral crashers on a few dive trips!) When I got certified 2-1/2 years ago, I was amazed at how divers always wanted to share information, and offer helpful suggestions .... they never acted like us newbies were holding them back on a dive. The first day of class in the pool had me hooked, but I think it was the comaraderie of divers as a whole that kept me working to do better. Now 127 dives (and multiple certifications) later, I like to think there has been a few times when I've helped someone else along the way.

In fact... my two cents to this thread for the newbies ..... once you're certified - don't stop - keep taking more classes - advanced, Nitrox, Fish ID, etc. We found that taking classes kept us more focused on diving better, practicing skills, and just all around more comfortable diving!! The more you know, hopefully the safer you will be!!:D

livtojump....don't you have a local dive shop you could do your certification with? I totally agree with getting the materials before hand and learning some of the skills prior to taking the class, though I have to admit that I find the mask removal exercise difficult (at best) without a regulator to breathe from.

I definitely don't cringe at the discover scuba program. Our local dive shops are now offering it both in their pools and also in the open water. I think its a great way for someone to experience the underwater world without having to take all the classes necessary for certification. I know a few people who only do discover scuba when they go on vacation because they like the experience, but not enough for full certification.

All I meant by not being in a hurry is that you shouldn't rush yourself in training. I did my certification in 3 days and although I had an excellent instructor and felt confident in my training, I've also been swimming before I could walk (literally). There was a couple in our class who really could have benefitted from further days on instruction, and fortunately they recognized that and made sure they dove with our instructor on another 2-tank dive.

One of our local dive shops offers a "fast track" course that takes 2 weekends. The first weekend is spent 1/2 in the classroom and 1/2 in the pool, and they get about 6 hours of pool time. The second weekend is spent doing the open water dives. Between the 2 weekends, the shop's pool is available for anyone who wants to work on any skills prior to the certification dives. Perhaps you can find something like this in your area.

Wolfedzaz says:

I am a newly certified diver and will be making my first ocean dive in the Mexican Riveria in April. I was so glad to read this thread and learn some things about being a newbie. I have snorkeled many times and have a great respect for the environment both above and below. I cannot remember any instructions in my training about buoancy checks and was so glad to hear that they will do this. Having not been in the ocean I was quite concerned about the weight I would need.

No one mentioned to him that if this is his first ocean dive, he may not need to carry as much weight as he would in fresh water. Salt water is more boyant than fresh. I note a difference of 2-3 lbs for myself (I weigh 185).

Hope this helps.

Of course both of the above posts assume you are usuing exactly the same equipment, especially suits. I've seen an "expert" diver take his giant stride and go straight 40' to the bottom (fortunately sand, not reef.) #1: no air in BC, #2: when the DM asked about his weight belt, "It's the one I use at home." On further questioninig, it turns out he was from Washington State and using the same amount of weight with no suit at all (Cozumel dive) as he used at home with a dry suit. Every equipment change will have some effect on buoyancy. This idiot's change was one of the more radical, but changing from 3/8's to 1/4' or just a skin will have a large effect. Likewise be ready for a change if you go from aluminum to steel tanks and vice versa. It's always best to check.

Ronrythm: Good advice: Actually, I'm taking all my own equipment except tank and weights. I have gone to the pool and worked on the nuetral buoyancy excersize and think I have it down in that kind of condition. Of course, I know the ocean will be different, but at least I think I know what to strive for. Probably I will be so fascinated with all the surroundings that all my thought process will go completely out the window.

Regarding the wet ear concern, I had that problem on my lake dive, so I purchased a new mask with the ear covers and have found it to be great. Anyone else used this kind of mask, and what do you think? Later: Dan

from Washington State and using the same amount of weight with no suit at all (Cozumel dive) as he used at home with a dry suit..

That's just insane!! Just to give some idea of the magnitude of the difference, I use 10 lbs. of weight when diving in warm salt water and 32 lbs. when diving in Puget Sound.

Kathi

Archived