Snorkeling in Grand Cayman/Eden Rock

rarodg2

I am looking for a place for my family of 13 to snorkel at in Grand Cayman, any suggestions? I have read that Eden Rock is nice, any thoughts. How much is it to snorkel there? Is it crowded? Any advice/suggestions you can give would be great thanks.

Eden Rock is walking distance from the tender dock. When you're on the tender, look to the right of the dock. You will see a dive shop.....that's where you'll go. Snorkeling is free. They have equipment rental, but I don't remember how much it was, as we just rented fins. There are also lockers for about $5 and 2 picnic tables to use. You will enter the water by climbing down a ladder into the water. There is no beach there. It was not crowded when we were there. The majority of people will be at hanging out at 7 mile beach or on a stingray tour.

Hi, here is a bit of info on Eden Rock. It is not like a nice beach area you snorkle off of. It is basically a town entry down a flight of steps into the water with the cruise ships as a backgrop. I think it's an ok area for adults but little kids might be intimidated by it. The water can be rocky, one day we went and the waves were moderate but the very next day no one was in the water as it was very choppy. Are you willing to do a snorkle boat tour? Eden Rock is just not a pretty place to snorkle, if you are thinking sandy beaches or a nice reef this is not it. One place we loved to snorkle and did twice last week was cemertary reef. It is approx. 15 minutes from where you get off the ship and the snorkeling was awesome. It was not marked unless you look on a snorkle map, many of the road signs have not been replaces since hurricane Ivan so you have to know where it is to find it. If you want to go you leave the ship and head towards 7 mile beach. you continue past the 7 mile beach and stay to the left. Keep your eyes open for a Esso gas station that was destroyed by Ivan. Believe it or not that it where the reef is right behind the station. You can actually park down the street a bit at the public beach and walk to where the gas station is. The reef is just offshore, not even 3 feet into the water. Walk past the gas station until the reef has an opening you can enter. It is great, you never have to be in more than 5 feet of water and we saw so many fish, all sizes, shapes and colors! Just let me know if you have questions. The beach itself is nice and not crowded at all. It could be cleaner as there is still debris from Ivan but all in all it was a great spot and had amazing snorkeling right off shore.

We might want to try Cemetary Beach. I imagine we could catch a taxi there from Georgetown but how would we get back? We don't want to rent a car. I know they have busses in Grand Cayman but don't know where and when they stop.

Also, could we rent the snorkle gear at Eden Rock and then take it to Cemetary Beach, snorkle and drop it back off at Eden Rock before we get on our ship?

We might want to try Cemetary Beach. I imagine we could catch a taxi there from Georgetown but how would we get back? We don't want to rent a car. I know they have busses in Grand Cayman but don't know where and when they stop.

Also, could we rent the snorkle gear at Eden Rock and then take it to Cemetary Beach, snorkle and drop it back off at Eden Rock before we get on our ship?

I'm trying to figure out the return transportation myself. Think you just flag the "busses" down and maybe they stop of not.

Have read of some walking a little to a hotel and getting a taxi from there.

There are at least two dive shops at Eden Rock for rentals:

http://www.edenrockdive.com/

http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/AbanksDiveCenter.htm

Shore snorkeling general info:

http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/OffshoreSnorkeling.htm

To be honest I never saw a bus while I was there. It's wierd now that I think of it. I would check and see. It does make sense though to walk to a hotel to flag a taxi. I don't know how much time you're allowed off the ship but you wouldn't want to be stranded without a ride back...I can't sat about Eden Rock as far as moving their equipment, guess you could give it a try but they may stop you if they keep a close eye on things...wish I could help better with transportation issues but honestly GC is just now getting back on it's feet and will take years and I do mean years to get back to "normal". Luckily where the ships tender to Georgetown they have done the most work to look like they are ok but if you venture even 5 miles from town heading east you will see the real ravages of Ivan. People are living in houses that have no sides in some cases or there are multiple families living under one roof. You are protected from seeing that if you hang out in Georgetown of 7 mile beach where it just looks like a lot of building is going on, not so much major recovery work as that took place leading up to now. I can't imagine what it looked like after it initially happened as we saw some pretty unbelievable damage on the East side of the island. I would ask on the ship about the availability of taxi's and busses. You have to remember so many vehicles were destroyed in GC over the 2 day span of Ivan, I'm not sure how many have been replaced.

Archived