Packing again...what do you always, FORGET??

Danno

You know, on every cruise, I've forgotten at least one thing, but it's always something different. It's like fate wants to keep me guessing. My two biggest gaffs?

My Eastern Caribbean cruise, where I brought along my camera of choice, a digital SLR. If anyone owns one of these beasts, you'll know that one problem you have to deal with is dust and what-not settling on the imaging sensor as you change lenses. These sensors are a bit delicate, and replacing one if you damage it can be pricey. No problem, I brought the adapter to allow me to lock up the mirror and clean the monster. Sure enough, second port, I begin to see spots on the pictures that tell me it's time to clean. Grab the adapter, then discover I've not packed the cleaning solution, nor the special swabs. Every subsequent port, checked every photo store, no one stocks the stuff. Ended up jury-rigging a solution 3 ports later, out of a Wendy's knife, a computer cleaning toilette, and desperation. ;)

My biggest packing oops, though, was in the other direction. My sister had cruised before, found this special hot sauce she loved in Belize. She begged me to buy her more, as it was very hard to find anywhere else. First cruise, we stopped in Belize, the tour boat broke down, and we ended up running through the terminal to jump on the tender and meet an already-moving Galaxy. No chance to buy anything. Second time through Belize, I bought 4 bottles of the stuff, carefully wrapped them in paper napkins so they wouldn't break, then slid them under the bunk in front of my suitcase so they'd be safe. Sure enough, the next passenger in that cabin got a bonus: my four bottles of Belizean Heat. Guess I took the suitcase out from the other side of the bed :rolleyes:

Hope I get a chance to forget something else real soon! :D

If I'm travelling I pack VERY light. I did two weeks in China with just what would fit into a carryon and a day pack. But if I'm cruising, well, all bets are off! I packed 11 pairs of shoes on the last cruise I went on!!!

11 pairs - that's nothing. We were only allowed 20kg each on our cruise over New Year and I still managed to pack 10 pairs of shoes for a week. What's more... I bought another 3 pairs while we were away! I think I may have a problem.

I brought back Marie's hot sauce from Belize last year only to find that our wonderful grocery store stocked it! You may be able to find it in specialty stores. Dave, I notice you are from York, so if you get up to Lititz, you can buy Marie's hot sauce at the Stauffer's in Lititz.

. Ended up jury-rigging a solution 3 ports later, out of a Wendy's knife, a computer cleaning toilette, and desperation. ;)

Hope I get a chance to forget something else real soon! :D

I love hearing these "I did it!" stories. I guess it's because I admire people who can jury rig something out of other pieces and parts. Makes me believe that we are not yet at the mercy of the machine.

• 2 weeks later...

I pack for the entire family, and what I often forget, are DH's collar stays, or sometimes a belt or tie. I would have liked my travel alarm clock this year, I forgot that they don't have them in the rooms, unlike hotels. But then again, you don't have to worry about the alarm that someone else set for 5 am waking you up.

Archived