TRABZON - ship's tour or private to Semula?

Does anyone know if there are private tours or taxis available at the port in Trabzon to go to Semula Monastery? If so, has anyone taken the private tour? We don't want to miss Semula but are hoping for a taxi or private tour rather than taking the ship's tour.

Travelers2 - When we were on a Black Sea cruise a couple of years ago on Regent Navigator, we took the ship's tour to Sumela, despite our general dislike of anything other than private tours. My research had indicated that a private tour or taxi was not a reasonable option. You must bear in mind that Trabzon does not get many cruise ships and does not really have a tourist infrastructure to deal with tourists from such ships. Even though I'd been based in Turkey for a year while in the army (U.S., not Turkish) and speak some Turkish, I was not at all convinced that we could manage the trip to Sumela on our own. It is quite remote; and if anything went amiss, you might be stuck out there. All that being stated, you must go to Sumela, whether by ship tour bus, horse-drawn carriage, or StarTrek transporter. The monastery is quite remarkable.

Cheers, Fred

Thanks Fred. After posting my question I have done much research and been in contact with fellow travelers on our roll call and a private tour is set up.

For anyone else having the same question I had I also suggest going on the ship's tour or by a private tour that is set up prior to arriving in Trabzon. From the photos Sumela looks like a fantastic place not to be missed.

Thanks again!

• 8 months later...

Hi Travelers2 - would you share your Trabzon, Turkey private tour information to the monastary? We also want to go there and despise the ship tours. I am looking for information how we can get there on our own.

Thanks!

Judy

Archived