Need some help re: Digital pictures and memory cards

Ack! Don't do this! Always set your camera to the highest setting. How do you know when the picture you are taking is going to become an all-time favorite that you want printed in an 8x10 (or larger!). I would agree with this only in the rare case that you are sure you will never print photos, and only look at them on a web page or something, but that is almost never the case with cruise pictures.

A fast (40x) 1GB card can be had for about $60. My digital rebel will take about 280 pictures at the highest resolution setting, and while I think I'm fine for the week, I have a few backup cards just in case.

Absolutely do not. The pix shouldn't be any smaller than 800x600 pixels in size. When I take pix, they are 3000x2000 pixels (they're actually bigger than that but I don't remember the exact figures). I have an 8 mega-pixel camera.

Ack! Don't do this! Always set your camera to the highest setting. How do you know when the picture you are taking is going to become an all-time favorite that you want printed in an 8x10 (or larger!). I would agree with this only in the rare case that you are sure you will never print photos, and only look at them on a web page or something, but that is almost never the case with cruise pictures.

A fast (40x) 1GB card can be had for about $60. My digital rebel will take about 280 pictures at the highest resolution setting, and while I think I'm fine for the week, I have a few backup cards just in case.

Absolutely do not. The pix shouldn't be any smaller than 800x600 pixels in size. When I take pix, they are 3000x2000 pixels (they're actually bigger than that but I don't remember the exact figures). I have an 8 mega-pixel camera.

Sorry for the double post.

I agree set the camera on the highest setting. Treven do you save them in the RAW format or just jpg. RAW is a lot higher resolution. I have the Canon D20 8.2 megapixel and use a 4gb card (hard drive).

I am trying to figure out how a coolpix 5.2MP can store 200 highest resolution photos on a 256MB memory stick. Wow is all I can say - they must have pretty efficient compression in their software.

We take most photos in RAW format - each photo is a 8MB file - that's why we carry a 4GB CF card.

LL

I agree set the camera on the highest setting. Treven do you save them in the RAW format or just jpg. RAW is a lot higher resolution. I have the Canon D20 8.2 megapixel and use a 4gb card (hard drive).

I just save everything as jpeg files. In my opinion, saving them as raw files takes up too much room. If they're saved as raw files, they're supposed to be more easily manipulated in Photoshop, but I don't think (personally) that it's worth it.

I have the Sony 828 camera.

I grew up in Evansville.

I'm taking a 512mb with me on a 6 day cruise. . .. I don't think there is anyway I will fill up the whole card, even if I tried.

I use a digital SLR and have 3 1GB Compact Flash cards. On my Europe cruise this past summer, I filled up one completely and a second half way. I know that I have seen a web site (possibly ritzcamera.com) that has a chart that will tell you how many pictures you can expect to put on a card based on the size photo you are shooting.

We were on the Serenade in January, and I saw a couple of kiosks in the photo center where you could transfer your memory card to a CD. I believe the cost was $17 or $18. Considering memory cards can be had so cheaply nowadays, I thought this was kind of expensive.

Personally, I take my laptop with me because I take LOTS and LOTS of pictures. My family will often be several yards ahead of me while I'm lagging behind taking a picture of an interesting bird, a leaf, a flower, etc. I drive them crazy. :D

I have a Disc Steno. It plugs into the wall and I put my card into it and put a blank CD in and it copies my pics onto the CD. Don't have to have a computer and I can clear my scan disk to use again. First tried it at home and it worked. Have used it alot since. Got it for on sale for $100. Has slots for all the different cards.

Becky

On a recent Hawaii 12 night cruise we filled up our flash cards so while we were walking through one of the ports I scouted out an internet cafe and used their PC to unload my photos and burn to a CD (which they supplied).

We had to check several places before we found one with a card reader and CD's to sell so now I always travel with a blank CD and a card reader.

Now even if I can't find an internet cafe, chances are good I will find someone onboard with a laptop that I can bribe with a drink for 10 minutes use of their laptop. :D

I have something similar to the Disc Steno. It's made by Sony and you can get it at Circuit City. It's very compact and can accept many different types of cards. Very simple to use, just push a button. We are travelling with 2 other couples. The ones taking the pictures never seem to get in the pictures (sometimes this is on purpose!)

I have created a CD for each couple using the Laser design on my HP computer for each couple, then I will download all the photos for the day on each disk. It only takes a few minutes to download. We will all have everyone's photos before we even get off the ship. Since a CD will hold about 2,000 photos, we should have plenty of room.

If you cruise a lot or take lots of pictures, it's well worth the money for the convenience alone.

I have something similar to the Disc Steno. It's made by Sony and you can get it at Circuit City. It's very compact and can accept many different types of cards. Very simple to use, just push a button. We are travelling with 2 other couples. The ones taking the pictures never seem to get in the pictures (sometimes this is on purpose!)

I have created a CD for each couple using the Laser design on my HP computer for each couple, then I will download all the photos for the day on each disk. It only takes a few minutes to download. We will all have everyone's photos before we even get off the ship. Since a CD will hold about 2,000 photos, we should have plenty of room.

If you cruise a lot or take lots of pictures, it's well worth the money for the convenience alone.

Many times I'm asked by people, who've seen my pix, "why aren't you in any of the pictures". I always tell them, "I'm always behind the camera". Actually, I just don't want strangers (or even a lot of my friends) handling my $1k digital camera.

Sorry but I did not read every word here... so i may repeat whats already been said.

I think on Mariner it was $10-$15 to make a CD from your flash card (one picture or 200 pictures same price). At that rate, it does not take long to make it worthwhile to buy extra cards for the camera. I have a Sony and found 1G card over the summer for $49. Keep watching the sales and you'll get to know what's a good price on your type of memory.

I also agree that you should use the highest resolution you can. this makes digital zoom better and allows you to crop after you get home.

Internet cafe on shore sounds like it might be a better option price wise.. remember to bring your cable (USB or whatever) ashore with you!

When I was in Honolulu for a week after my week-long Hawaiian Isls cruise, I stayed at the Alana Doubletree hotel & used their WiFi connection; sometimes from my room and sometimes from their "business" room, off the lobby.

It really wasn't very expensive at all; plus the desk staff kept me well supplied with warm chocolate-chip cookies. The only time I would use an internet cafe was when I'd go out to lunch & wanted to check office e-mails; then I'd sit, drink iced tea and people watch - one of my favorite pastimes.

By checking my office e-mails daily or every couple of days, I wasn't faced with roughly 60 pages of e-mails when I got home; and that didn't include my personal e-mails sent to my two e-mail addresses for home.

I have to disagree with the poster who said to use the smallest size pictures (which translates to the lowest quality). If you want to crop or enlarge them, you need to keep the pixel level as high as possible. I just returned from a 7 day cruise, and used all of a 512Mb and most of a 256Mb card. This worked out to about 450 pictures at the highest setting on my 5 megapixel camera. I don't delete anything until I get home and see them on my computer.

Since then, I've bought a 1Gb card from Amazon.com for less than $60. Prices are so low, there's no reason to bring several cards.

Also, I wouldn't trust the ship's photo lab with my cards. The iPod is a good idea if you want or need to transfer pictures off the cards. A laptop is even better, but, to me, it's not worth the hassle of carrying it around.

I have to disagree with the poster who said to use the smallest size pictures (which translates to the lowest quality). If you want to crop or enlarge them, you need to keep the pixel level as high as possible. I just returned from a 7 day cruise, and used all of a 512Mb and most of a 256Mb card. This worked out to about 450 pictures at the highest setting on my 5 megapixel camera. I don't delete anything until I get home and see them on my computer.

Since then, I've bought a 1Gb card from Amazon.com for less than $60. Prices are so low, there's no reason to bring several cards.

Also, I wouldn't trust the ship's photo lab with my cards. The iPod is a good idea if you want or need to transfer pictures off the cards. A laptop is even better, but, to me, it's not worth the hassle of carrying it around.

The OP asked a question about how he/she would get the most pictures on their existing cards. This is the reason I suggested using a smaller setting. Most often, it is better to take larger-sized photos, but only to achieve the ability to crop/print large photos. I use a Canon G5 and always use the largest setting I can, but remember that requires someone to have lots of space on their existing cards if they don't want to buy more.

Also, please note that many digital cameras DO NOT accept the new 1G and higher cards. Check with your manufacturer before purchasing! The older digital cameras are highly vulnerable to problems with these cards.....if they can use them at all.

I'm waiting for the Canon 30D to come out and will purchase that for our Alaska trip.

Archived