What to do if excursion cancelled for time?

hooked-on-travel

We'll be on the Grand next month and get the distinct picture that we may get into port so late that there won't be any excursions we can do. I have my heart set on cave tubing, but what is there to do on short notice with only about a couple hours to kill? Is this a good (but brief) beach day? Is there good shopping? Is it safe to walk around town?

See my new post on Cave tubing 15' jump. Grand changed our intinerary with us going to Costa Maya 1st then Belize. We did not know this until we looked at the Patters after on Board. This put us in Belize at 6:30 AM on a day later than we had booked an independent tour. With Marvin's it was no problem. Check with Princess to see if this is a permanent schedule change, as Marvin believed it would be. Also, be in the wheelhouse lounge early, early as you tender in this port and the Grand still hasn't gotten the hang of it. You need every minute of port time. If I did it again, I would be there at 6am, NOT 6:35am as we had to wait awhile to tender in and I heard it only got worse as the day went on.

See my new post on Cave tubing 15' jump. Grand changed our intinerary with us going to Costa Maya 1st then Belize. We did not know this until we looked at the Patters after on Board. This put us in Belize at 6:30 AM on a day later than we had booked an independent tour. With Marvin's it was no problem. Check with Princess to see if this is a permanent schedule change, as Marvin believed it would be. Also, be in the wheelhouse lounge early, early as you tender in this port and the Grand still hasn't gotten the hang of it. You need every minute of port time. If I did it again, I would be there at 6am, NOT 6:35am as we had to wait awhile to tender in and I heard it only got worse as the day went on.

So you did the independent cave tour with the morning port times? We are sailing early April, and the ports have been changed...so we are in Belize at 6:30am. I was signed up for cave tubing with the ship, and they automatically changed the times of it...so now the ship cave tubing is from 8am to 1pm I think. But it is killing me knowing I likely will be part of a huge group and paying $99 a person I think. If there are independents running tours that early...I still may swap...and get up early to get a good tender. What to do, what to do....

OK, now I'm confused. I called Princess on Saturday, based on the rumors heard here, and asked if Belize and Costa Maya had been switched. They said no and quoted the date and port times they had always been. I questioned further since I knew April and later sailings were reporting that the cruise personalizer was showing the change. She looked at different (later) dates and confirmed that times were changing for them, but assured me they wouldn't for us. And now you tell me they didn't change until you were on board? What a dirty trick!

Booking the ship's excursion isn't the right answer for us since we booked the independent long ago. Our deposit is paid. And frankly, I'm with Canuck Cruzer...I'd rather do an independent any day. I second the question...did the independent take you out at rediculous early?

I got some additional information I can now pass on. We're booked with X-Stream and they got word that sailings were changing dates, so they sent a new confirmation with the new date and a 7:30 a.m. time. Then they found out that two sailings only (mine leaving Galveston March 12 and one in April) were for some reason not switching. All the others are. So they switched me back to the original date and time. But that means the Grand is still at risk for not getting into port with enough time to do anything organized. I've even been hearing of those being cancelled, too.

So the original question remains: Is there anything to do in Belize if you only get a couple hours?

So the original question remains: Is there anything to do in Belize if you only get a couple hours?

We're with you hooked on travel and would like to find out what to do if our snorkle trip is cancelled. Last November we didn't even get off the ship in Belize and this time we would like to do SOMETHING ...

There is the world famous pharmacy in the tourism village, which itself has a number of shops and some bars, food, etc.

http://www.belizetourismvillage.com/

Perhaps this?

You might check out www.gidiyaptours.com . They take you on an hour long horsedrawn carriage ride thru' Belize for only $20 per person. It even includes free sodas and beer. They have a picture of the carriage and everything on their website. The carriage is covered so you won't get sunburned or wet if it rains. And there is no minimum amount of people, so she could go alone. This might be a fun little thing to do that will get her off of the ship and have her enjoying herself.:)

Thanks, zydecocruiser, that's what I was trying to find.

Linkslady-

I sent an e-mail to the carriage place asking if they could take people on short notice, since we already booked a longer trip that would be cancelled if the Grand Princess were getting in late. I'll let you know what I find out.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks hooked.. nice try!

I don't think I would want to subject those horses to my 290 lb hubby, my 225 lb son and his friend.... I am not skin and bones but with these guys I think the horses would have gotten worn out!

Archived