Kids Club Question

IamOnVacation

I will be traveling with a group of 8 kids, ages 2 through 10. I hear from other CC reviews that they strictly enforce this. My question is why and how. I am not suggesting that the 2 year old should be in the group with 10-12 but why wouldn't they allow 9 year old to be with a friend in a 10-12 group or a 10 year old in a 6-9 group? If being in the same group is not an option, can they play in the Kid's club together during free time? Which groups are allowed to 'mix' during the free time?

Another question on the 2- 5 group. Do they get to play Wii? It only lists Wii time in 6-9 and 10-12 groups. Is there a free time when the 2-5 group would be allowed Wii access? Not that it is critical, but would be nice to know to set kid's expectations right.

I tried to get my 9 year old (as I had stated before he was to be 10 the week after the cruise) into the 10-12 year old group. I was told emphatically this was not a possibility. What ever your age on the day you are in the camp is where you are put. They said this is strictly enforced by corporate. They know the age and birthdate of the children by their passport which is accessed on their key card and your registration on the ship. They can, however, play together during free time. During the free time, the whole camp is open. Not sure about the 2-5 year olds playing WII but I know my son complained that they really weren't encouraged nor had much time for video games. (Believe me I wasn't too upset about the video game play time but he was.) I tried very hard to get him put in the 10-12 year old group. I went to supervisors and even our suite concierge, they all claimed that the age groups are set in stone. No exceptions.

Thanks ascatsob,

I have read your comments before and I feel your frustration. I will be in the same boat come my trip. I just don't quite understand the policy. This is a vacation after all, not a boarding school.

Again, thank you for the reply

They probably stick to a "no exception rule" because it is easier and fairer than expecting the staff to decide which exceptions they will allow and which they will not. "Can my mature 8 year old be with the 10-12's?, "Can my 12 yr old son who will be turning 13--2 days after our cruise go to the teen club instead of the kids club?," "Can my 18 year old (who just turned 18 yesterday) go to the teen club with her 17 year old sister?" Frankly, I would not want to deal with those decisions, especially if the parents were saying, "I heard on another cruise that ___ was allowed to ____." Then how would you justify saying no to anyone.

They probably stick to a "no exception rule" because it is easier and fairer than expecting the staff to decide which exceptions they will allow and which they will not. "Can my mature 8 year old be with the 10-12's?, "Can my 12 yr old son who will be turning 13--2 days after our cruise go to the teen club instead of the kids club?," "Can my 18 year old (who just turned 18 yesterday) go to the teen club with her 17 year old sister?" Frankly, I would not want to deal with those decisions, especially if the parents were saying, "I heard on another cruise that ___ was allowed to ____." Then how would you justify saying no to anyone.

I don't disagree with you. It must be hard to adapt to so many different people. My frustration wasn't only that he couldn't be in the group that others in the same grade in school are in but that because there were so many more younger children, the activities were geared towards them. Some of the children had just turned 6 and my son turning 10 was 4 years older than they were. At that age, there is a big difference. I suppose what I am saying is that the age groups probably need to change or maybe when the age of the child is within a certain period of time, leave it up to the parents as to where the child goes. We aren't talking about whether the child is going to be tested at the end of the trip. Isn't it about whether the child is having a good time? Isn't that what we pay for? I'm just saying......

They told me it had to do with insurance purposes. The 9 year old can go with the 10-12 group during free play times which you can see on a kids activity sheet. There are a few times during the day and every night after 10:00 p.m. My 10 year old loves being in there but my 9 year old thought the activities were too young for her so she did not go in during the day. There were so many other things to do instead, but I still had wished that part of the trip could have been a little different.

They told me it had to do with insurance purposes. The 9 year old can go with the 10-12 group during free play times which you can see on a kids activity sheet. There are a few times during the day and every night after 10:00 p.m. My 10 year old loves being in there but my 9 year old thought the activities were too young for her so she did not go in during the day. There were so many other things to do instead, but I still had wished that part of the trip could have been a little different.

Same thing happened with us. So the insurance only applies to group activities? We, too, kept our 9 year old busy and we had a good time but he was very excited at first to go to the camp and it would have been nice for us not to have to entertain him all day. I actually felt bad because my 14 year old loved the teen camp and he disappeared for a large portion of the day leaving the other one without any playmate but me! I can be a lot of fun but I am no substitute for another child!

Ascatsob, I agree with you about smaller age group divisions. I did not have kids in the kids club (3 in the teen club) but based on what I've read from others, it seems that many 8-9 year olds felt too old for the activities and other younger members of their designated age group (6-9). It probably should be divided into 2 yr divisions at that 6-9 group (6-7 and 8-9) because at that young age, there can be a big difference in ability and interests.

I would think smaller age divisions would be the best solution. I think leaving the decision up to individual parents would be a problem--any exception allowed?? Also, grade in school wouldn't work, because it age/grade requirements vary from region to region and no way to check vs. age is "checkable" on passport.

Also, I think some kids just aren't "in" to certain organized games and activities. Some 9 year olds may think something is fun, while others think it is lame. Found that in the teen club. My kids like organized games and contests, but most kids just seemed to want to sit and play video games or talk in the teen club or meet in the club then "hang out" elsewhere.

Same thing happened with us. So the insurance only applies to group activities? We, too, kept our 9 year old busy and we had a good time but he was very excited at first to go to the camp and it would have been nice for us not to have to entertain him all day. I actually felt bad because my 14 year old loved the teen camp and he disappeared for a large portion of the day leaving the other one without any playmate but me! I can be a lot of fun but I am no substitute for another child!

Yes, the same thing with us but now looking back on the trip memories I am glad we were all together more instead of them being in the camp. When we went on the last cruise the kids never wanted to hang with us at all, we had to beg them to spend time with us.

We did take advantage of the late night time though and the kids loved it. We had such a wonderful family vacation. Since we have been home, every night the kids ask if we can go to the garden buffet for dinner.

Archived