Victory out of Dominica

VictoryLover2

The shore excursions page for the Southern Caribbean now also has Port of Spain, Martinique, and Grenada as options on the pull down menu.

Very curious to see what Carnival is doing here though... I can't imagine them getting rid of the 7 day itineraries from San Juan and replacing them with 4 day cruises from Port of Spain, but their website seems to be implying that this is what's going to take place.

Well this just s***s, if true. (And how is this going to save fuel?). I have my tickets to San Juan and paid for a cruise next summer that had no at sea days. I would like to see what is replacing it.

Just called, reservation still show Dominica.

The Barbados cruise is on the Victory. You can start/end in either San Juan or Barbados.

This is a very bad thing for Dominica. They depend on the cruise ships. I love the Island,and its people! I have never been afraid, well,maybe the curvy roads! :eek: I have a very good friend who has a tour company here, and he really depends on his tours. If you visit Dominica, take a tour with Reyno, hes awesome and has very good drivers! Dot

First of all, Dominica is one of those islands that I would love to visit again!

I tell people that this is how the garden of Eden must look like. It was so green with wonderful flowers,trees,etc.

Unlike some of the islands that cruiseships visit, it seem untouch and still a bit of rawness to it.

As for the vendors, I had no issues. A simple "no" did the trick each time. The ones in the port area were hustling hard for sales. On my tour we stop at a roadside stand in the middle of nowhere. The women prices were alot cheaper than the port area and they didn't mind haggling with you.

This is such SAD news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( I hope it is not true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going on the Victory next year and was looking forward to Dominica. The past two days I've been looking into what's there to suggest for the private tour our group will be doing, so I've been more and more excited about it. Now it might be for naught! :(

As of November 2, 2010 Carnival is pulling the port of Dominica from the VICTORY's itinerary!!!!!

http://dominicanewsonline.com/dno/carnival-victory-cancels-calls-to-dominica-after-21-years/

Ohhhh noooo, we booked this cruise because of 7 nights and 7 islands. We weren't big fans of the all day at sea. This will be a BIG disappointment ! :(

Just need to add my two cents worth on Dominica. We were on Victory in March of 2009 and really Dominica was probably our favorite stop. A truly beautiful island. Much like Hawaii without the beaches. The interior is lush and volcanic. I will never forget swimming up the river at Ti Tou gorge.

The port is a little rough only because it hasn't been developed by the cruise lines into one of those "picture perfect" shopping areas. Pushy? The cab drivers in Barbados win this one hands down. Always felt that Dominica was most like what the Caribbean must have been prior to tourism development.

That being said a sailing to one or two of the other less visited islands would be fun.

oh my....I really liked Dominica.....and could probably think of several other places that I would rather see cut!

there was a bus passing by where I was standing in the shade and a very small native child reached up and took my hand and said be careful! just as sweet as he could be!

I am not sure how a sea day will save fuel!

Beverly

As of November 2, 2010 Carnival is pulling the port of Dominica from the VICTORY's itinerary!!!!!

http://dominicanewsonline.com/dno/carnival-victory-cancels-calls-to-dominica-after-21-years/

I found another e-article.... “The cost of fuel has forced us to restructure the Carnival Victory itinerary. Cancelling Dominica would save us more fuel than any other alternative considered. In addition to the fuel costs we have had complaints from our passengers regarding the excessive number of port calls on this seven day itinerary.” :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

http://www.caribbeandailynews.com/dominica-government-laments-cruise-ship-departure/

I found another e-article.... “The cost of fuel has forced us to restructure the Carnival Victory itinerary. Cancelling Dominica would save us more fuel than any other alternative considered. In addition to the fuel costs we have had complaints from our passengers regarding the excessive number of port calls on this seven day itinerary.” :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

http://www.caribbeandailynews.com/dominica-government-laments-cruise-ship-departure/

Can't believe the last sentence. We loved having a new port each day. That's the reason most people take this cruise, variety! I hope they either keep Dominica or replace it with another port.

HELLO, Carnival Executives, This is a mistake. Read the many posted threads here on Cruisecritic.com and see how people take this itinerary BECAUSE of the many ports and how the Rain Forest, water falls and sulfur springs are so different from the other islands. WAKE UP, you are going to do something wrong!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Brookie & Ed:mad:

HELLO, Carnival Executives, This is a mistake. Read the many posted threads here on Cruisecritic.com and see how people take this itinerary BECAUSE of the many ports and how the Rain Forest, water falls and sulfur springs are so different from the other islands. WAKE UP, you are going to do something wrong!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Brookie & Ed:mad:

Have you actually called Carnival to confirm the change? If they are in fact making the change, nothing you or the board can do to change their mind.

Hi,

just tried to confirm the route change with Carnival. At least the ones on the phone in Germany are still completely unaware (but probably information takes a bit longer to travel over the Atlantic...)

I hope they do not cancel the stop - we are booked on the Victory in November, and have especially booked because of the itinerary :mad:

The only people who would make a negative comment about Dominica are the people who NEVER do their homework. We love Dominica....the closest you will get to a rainforest.....saw SO many farms and every kind of vegetation...went river tubing ....beyond fun....

The people who make comments like that are the ones who base their opinions on trinket / street vendors next to the ship....ugh....EXPAND YOUR HORIZONS PEOPLE ! !

Now we get to possibly have another sea day?...not my cup o tea...I can only take so much of low odds bingo, chair hogs, buffet bafoons & 4 walls of generic carnival room decor....the only saving grace is a good book, secret deck spots, ipod, dining room lunch and alcohol sipped slowly all day....

Dominica is my favorite port. To enjoy and appreciate the island, you need to get off the ship/dock and out into the heart of the island. Nothing could compare with the chilly swim in Titou Gorge OR snorkeling in Champagne Reef (was listed as one of the best places to snorkel).

For those who did not feel safe, where were you? At the dock? I never felt unsafe and we were there during a very contentious policitcal election. I have to agree with the one poster that mentioned the roads! YIKES! but, our driver was very hopeful of improvements once the elections were over.

I hope Carnival reconsiders. The reason we went on the cruise was for the NO SEA DAYS! I want to see things, do things....not watching hairy chest contests, etc.

Have you actually called Carnival to confirm the change? If they are in fact making the change, nothing you or the board can do to change their mind.

I called CCL and was put on hold for 15 minutes... then a little back-tracking by the rep..... "as of today we have no information on a change in the itinaray" When I mentioned that I have seen e-news articles from different sites in the Caribbean there was silence.... "could you hold for a moment?".....

Brookie & Ed:confused:

I have been to Dominica three times and never have I felt unsafe. I loved it...each time a new experience. It is also not very expensive in comparison to other more industrialized islands.

The majority of people that I have come into contact there are very hospitable. The last time we were there the locals expressed they were hoping for more ships...so sad if this is true.

Archived