how much time to the airport

findmewdw

We want to utilize our last moments in Waikiki. We have a late flight leaving at 8:45pm. What time should we schedule a pickup for transportation to the airport? I've read on here to allow 2 hours. I'm hoping that late on a Sat. night, we may not need that much time. However, I want to be safe and give ourselves plenty of time. I knew you guys could lead me in the right direction.

If you are using a shuttle to HNL from Waikiki, like Roberts, they will dictate to you the pickup time. You won't be able to choose a pickup time except to tell them your flight time so they can get you to the airport in time to make the flight.

This time can be up to 3 hours (I am told) before your flight time. They have to stop at lots of other places and if your hotel is one of the first then they will need to allow for time to go to all the other hotels.

If you want to choose the departure time, you can take a taxi, but it is more expensive. To answer your questions, it is safest to allow 45 minutes for the taxi ride to the airport, plus time to clear USDA, the airline bag check, and TSA bag drop, then the TSA checkpoint, and finally be at the gate 45 minutes before the flight when boarding begins.

The security checkpoint can get really backed up at peak times so be aware of that possibility. We went through around 8 PM and there were few lines but we were told that was a lull and is lots busier earlier and later than 8.

When we went through yesterday the entire process from arrival at terminal to reaching the gate took maybe 15 minutes but I would not count on that being your experience. Our first trip back from HNL had us waiting at security for a half hour.

The USAirways bag check said to go through the TSA "Gold Lane" which we forgot to do. The TSA guy asked me why I did not use the Gold Lane as it was quicker, but he then added that the regular lane was not backed up now, but it was unusual. I still don't know what Gold Lane is or why I qualified but apparently it is quicker.

Actually, late evening at HNL can be extremely crowded. I speak from personal experience. One time, we had a mainland-bound flight leaving at 11:00 pm. It was very busy at the airport with long lines. Even using the curbside check-in, which also takes care of the required agriculture inspection, we had a 45 minute wait for the security inspection--and that was only after they opened an extra station to relieve some of the load.

beachchick

That is something to remember: Evenings (7 PM to Midnight) are very busy at HNL because that is the time during which the VAST majority of flights to the mainland depart... give yourself an extra half hour - you might end up just sitting at the gate, but it's far less stressful than waiting in line at the Ag station or the ticket counter or security, hoping you'll make the flight.

We want to utilize our last moments in Waikiki. We have a late flight leaving at 8:45pm. What time should we schedule a pickup for transportation to the airport? I've read on here to allow 2 hours. I'm hoping that late on a Sat. night, we may not need that much time. However, I want to be safe and give ourselves plenty of time. I knew you guys could lead me in the right direction.

We were on the 8:45 p.m. Continental flight to Houston out of Honolulu.

Our shuttle picked us up at 5:45 p.m. and it was 6:30 before we got to the airport. Then we had to go through Agricultural inspection and there was quite a line for that. The line to the Continental Ticket counter moved quickly BUT the line for the TSA Security Checkpoint was quite long. We walked up to departure gate at 7:45 p.m. and went and bought some overpriced sandwiches at the Quizno's to eat on the plane as we didn't have time. They began the boarding process at about 8:00 p.m.

I felt very rushed. If I had to do it over again, I would have got the shuttle for 5:15 or 5:30 at the absolute latest.

Archived