Luggage Question

Hi,

We are first time cruise travelers and have a few questions. Our flights lands in Miami at 9:50am. And we were thinking of hitting South Beach for a few before we board. Is that a good idea? And are we able to drop our luggage with the porters and then leave POM?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. So many of you are so knowledgeable about cruise travel, and I cherish your experience.

Thank you,

Jennifer

NCL Sky - 9/10/10

Hi,

We are first time cruise travelers and have a few questions. Our flights lands in Miami at 9:50am. And we were thinking of hitting South Beach for a few before we board. Is that a good idea? And are we able to drop our luggage with the porters and then leave POM?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. So many of you are so knowledgeable about cruise travel, and I cherish your experience.

Thank you,

Jennifer

NCL Sky - 9/10/10

It is possible, but depending on your sailing time you may not have a lot of time if you have to be on ship two hours before sail time. It will take you 30 to 45 minutes to get there from the airport. Yes, you can drop off your luggage with the porters. We stayed in South Beach post-cruise last November, and I recall it was a 20 to 30 minute taxi ride to South Beach from the pier (that was a Saturday afternoon). So, factor in the travel times and when you need to board the ship, and it may or may not leave you a lot of time.

Now, if you asked for advice when you booked, I would have recommended flying in the day before and spending the night in South Beach! :D Plus, coming in a day early lessens risk of flight delay interrupting your cruise plans.

Whatever you do, enjoy! You will have a great time.

:) :)

Hi there,

Don't rush things on vacation. It is no fun and with travelling, there will be plenty of rushing to do something. You just don't want to push it. I would not recommend this for the following reason, you can get on the ship by noon and explore the ship, and by mid afternoon your luggage will be at your door ready to unpack in your clean room (they will announce this). Why waist perfectly good cruise time driving around Miami?

Assuming you land on time close to 10am and collect your luggage, and then get a cab, its 10:30am, get to PoM at 11am, and you will be able to board sometime between 11am-noon, depending how good the last disembarkation went for those getting off the ship.

But remember, after you check your luggage at the curb, you eventually have to go to ship check in which will take about 1/2 an hour to clear everything - (you fill out health questionaire, actual check in, and security usually twice or more). After this, they do not let everyone rush on board. They will hold you in a nice lounge for a few minutes if it is busy, and they will call you (colour code or numbers) and you go on the gangway where nice stewards will welcome you aboard and give you each a glass of champange. This is not typical of all lines though. In my opinion the better ones like NCL will follow this routine. Once on board, you can head to the main buffet or grills & bars on deck.

Hope this helps and wish you have a great cruise.

....They will hold you in a nice lounge for a few minutes if it is busy, and they will call you (colour code or numbers) and you go on the gangway where nice stewards will welcome you aboard and give you each a glass of champange. This is not typical of all lines though. In my opinion the better ones like NCL will follow this routine. Once on board, you can head to the main buffet or grills & bars on deck....

Bummer, no more welcome aboard champagne on our last NCL cruise. That was always my favorite part.

I agree with everyone else, go right from the airport to the ship. I love being one of the first people on the ship - more time to wander around and feel the magic.

In December, on the Gem, we had the champagne as a welcome aboard. Two weeks ago, on the Dawn, no champagne. That must be a recent cut back. Also, earlier last year, mints on the pillow, in December no mints. The little things we take for granted! :(

Archived