Costa Maya Feb.7 Chacchoben Ruins, Majuhaul

lois2

We were on the Splendour and visited Costa Maya last Monday, Feb 7. It was my favorite port. We had made plans with Ivan Cohuo at ChacchobenRuins.com. He had sent us an email telling us to get a taxi into Majuhaul. We were to look for the Market Place where he is located, I believe they are called El Tucan. It was very easy as the town is only one street. Ivan greeted us and introduced us to David who was our guide. We were charged $43 per person (my husband and I) and offered cold bottled water. The vehicle was newish and had good air-conditioning.

I cannot say enough good things about David, he was incredibly knowledgable about Mayan culture, history, religion and about the ruins. Ivan and David both grew up near the ruins. He also told us alot about himself and his family and about the area. He answered all our questions and pointed out interesting things during the drive. We were never rushed and had no worries about missing the ship. On the ride back we were offered cold bottled water or beer.

We got back to Majuhual and had plenty of time for lunch at Tapas right on the beach. It's a very laid back beach with lots of palm trees and palapa bars. Lunch was great as were the margaritas! After lunch we shopped a little and then got a taxi back to the village at the pier. Taxis are plentiful. We also shopped at the pier for a while and then made our way to the ship. It was an excellent day!!!

I agree with everything Lois said about her tour. We took the tour from chacchobenruins.com on Jan. 31. Our tour guide was David, and we cannot recommend this tour enough! David and Ivan are both certified guides and very knowledgable in Mayan history and native plants and animals in the area (apparently tour guides go through a formal education process and take continuing courses every year). They used to offer tours from the site of the ruins, but there was a union that limited their work hours, so they decided to start their own company. Lucky for us! The tour offered by Carnival cost $69 for a bus-load tour. Our tour was $43 for a 6-person tour.

Note: If you are on the Sensation, you will not dock in Costa Maya until noon at the earliest (the brochure said 10 a.m.). I would not schedule the tour until 1:00, because it took awhile for people to get off the ship and to get the taxi to Majajual. However, there seems to be only one ship in port at a time, so I am sure that whatever time the ship arrives, David will be in Majajual waiting for you. We had to wait a little while for the other 4 people on our tour, so David showed us an outside bar where we could get a beer while we waited...it was relaxing!

• 2 weeks later...

I just came back from a well deserved vacation and one of the greatest things that my family and i did was touring the ruins of Yucatan with ivan.

I remember last November, when i visited for the first time the ruins of Chacchoben, with family and friends. That day we didn't have a plan and then we got to meet ivan who had just finished a tour. He offered his services to guide our group and honestly i didn't think we needed a guide at the begining. I'm glad we decided to hire ivan that day, he proved to be very knowlegable and later we learned why he was very attached to the ruins.

We had some friends visiting us last weekend and one of the things they wanted was to visit chichen itza. I thought of ivan, as our best choice and worked hard to convince him to guide us through ruins that were away from his house and family. Again i thought he may not feel comfortable guiding at other ruins even when he said he knew every corner of the place. To my surprise once we got to the ruins he was just like a fish in the water and gave us the best tour of our lives. We kept him for four hours explaining us every thing. I still remember the moment when we entered the ball field (or ball game ¿?), which ivan said was one of his favorite buildings, he took us very deep into maya mythology and explained us the meaning of the game. He made us connect with the ruins and transported all of us to a different time when the mayas still lived and worshiped at chichen itza. What a great tour we had that day!

We're now working hard to convince him to guide us all over the Yucatan, for our next vacation. This time we want to go further and spend at least one day in a maya community. We still have a few months and hope we can convince him to guide us again.

Lois2: This is SO good to hear, because we are booked with Ivan on the 15th. I've not been able to reach him by email, and was worried that something had happened, and he was no longer guiding. I was going to post a board message asking about him, so your post is very timely, indeed.

LyndaS: Was it because they were moving that they weren't set up at the time you went? They've been in operation for over 3 years.

Gramsof7, I believe David told us that Ivan has to travel to send and receive email. when you see Majahaul you will understand, not exactly modern. Also, the reason he can't meet you at the pier is because they won't allow independents. Or they would, but they would charge him and he would have to raise his fees. Its really is a plus to go to Majuhaul anyway. Its a real Mexican village whereas the pier is like a Disney facade.

We have this tour booked, and Ivan said that it is a $3 taxi ride and takes less than 5 minutes. I have heard MANY good reviews for Tapas, and plan on eating our lunch there.

Michelle

Less than five minutes sounds well within walking distance, if we choose to do so. Thanks, Michelle.

OMG, I just got an email from Ivan confirming my tour on Sunday, I will not be in Costa Maya until Wed. I checked back on our old correspondence, and I clearly stated Wed. March 16th twice. I just emailed him, and asked if he could still accomodate us, but I am worried that he will be booked, or won't be able to get back to me in time to let me know when to meet him.:eek:

Gramsof7-

Ivan wasn't set up on the internet until Jan 2005. He was guiding, along with David at Chacchoben prior to that, but not as a tour company as such. There would have been no way for me to get in touch with him, as they were not on line. As we had no other choice when we were there in Dec., we took the 'taxi van' to Chacchoben and hoped that we would get a tour guide at the gate. No such luck, all guides were busy when we were there. I wish I had known of him at least, as we were in Majahaul the week prior and had I known of him, I would have tried to find someone that knew him. (we were on back to back cruises) We will just have to go back again is what I say.....

Tricialee-

Hopefully Ivan will see your email, it is difficult for them to obtain internet access, but I do know that Ivan tries to access it whenver he possibly can. Keep trying, and mark it urgent. If you don't hear from him, advise him in an email that you will get off the ship as soon as it docks on Wednesday and make your way to his shop in Majahaul first thing - once there talk to someone and explain what happened - I am sure it will all work out for you! Do you know where to meet him, if not, I know it was posted somewhere on this board, we could find out! What ship will you be on, maybe looking on his schedule on his sight will help to see what time the tour leaves that day.

Our ship will be in port from 10am - 6pm. Ivan can only get us on the 12 noon tour. He said it's 3.5-4 hours. Will there be ANY problem getting back to the ship? This is my first cruise and I'm nervous about missing the ship and spending the rest of my life away from my cats...

Hi Lois - I enjoyed reading your post about David and Ivan. We are sailing RCCL 4/17 - I was so disappointed, because I tried to buy a tour, but they e-mailed me back and said they were full !! I really don't want to book w/the ship - I realize they are more expensive and have crowded tours - Did you notice if other venders for the tour were available? Thank you in advance for your reply

ac2933

Hi AC2933, I would exchange emails with Ivan between now and your cruise and maybe something will open up. People change their plans all the time so you may get in on someone else's cancellation. He was the only independent operator going to Chacchoben Ruins in February but there may be others that I don't know about. Good luck and try to spend some time in Majahual too, it was great.:D

Jenjens-

You'll have plenty of time to go to Chacchoben at 12:00 and be back for a six o'clock sailing, once Ivan gets you back into Majahaul, it would only take 15-20 min or so to get back to the ship. Taxi's are plentiful there, we only waited for about 2 min when we were ready to go back, then it is about a 10 min (at the most) drive to the pier. Another 5 min to walk through the shops at the pier (make sure you do all your shopping in the morning, or you could be way-laid by all of the good things to buy!) and then another 5 min to walk down the pier to the ship. You'll be back in no time flat!

One thing though - MAKE sure that your ship and Majahaul is 'in the same time zone'. If you leave and go back to Miami, or other Florida ports in the Eastern time zone, you may find that you will stay on it. Majahaul is on Central time, and from experience I found out they don't always tell you on the ship that you are in different times!

So, tell the cats you'll be back. Just in case the worst case happens though I did see plenty of dogs in Majahaul, no cats mind you, but dogs will do in a pinch, right? (:-))

Archived