Drive Time from SA to Galveston & The Conquest

texhannah

I've done this drive twice before but now I seem to be suffering from amnesia. Maybe if I color the gray hairs creeping in, my memory will improve. :o

Google tells me the drive will take 4 hrs from San Antonio and I just don't remember it ever taking that long (and I keep it around 70 on I10). I want to say it was closer to 3 or 3.5 hrs.

Any recent travelers from San Antonio that can enlighten me on their drive times?

Thanks!

Some things first: I live near the Beltway 8 exit and I-45 and my daughter goes to Texas Lutheran in Seguin.

It takes two hours from Seguin to Katy Mills Outlet Mall. That's mile marker 607 to 740 on I-10. Take the Beltway around the city at least for embarkation... Trust me on this one, it's worth the $4 you will spend, and traffic will flow at 70 mph on Sunday mornings.

From Katy Mills to I-45 South and the Beltway takes an hour. We have this timed down to the minute.

From the Beltway to Harborside Drive takes 40 minutes on average. I know this from my job.

So... depending on where you live in SA I'd suggest that it would take you and hour to Seguin, and then three hours and 45 minutes more to the ship.

Variables that have made things better include the almost completed construction along I-45 have made traffic flow freely, or at least better.

Also, Sunday morning traffic does not pick up until 11am or so, and most of that is during summer months.

I'd bet longer than 4 hours. It takes 3.5 for us from just north of Austin.

Maybe a little less if my wife drives and i sleep so she can drive as fast as she wants. :D

Yep... better than 4...

It's on hour once we hit 45 and start heading south to the island.

I'd bet on an hour twenty...

:)

It all depends on when you're coming and on luck. If you are driving in on a Sunday, you will probably be lucky and not hit too much traffic, but I'd still allow for traffic jams just in case. Also, check and see if there are any special events taking in place in Galveston that weekend. Traffic on 45 can back up for hours sometimes.

I'd say 4 hours is about right. I-10 puts you on the wrong side of Houston so you still have to drive through it & all the traffic to get to Galveston. We once drove from Laredo to Galveston & would have been there sooner had the driver taken Hwy 59 instead of driving up to SA & hitting I-10. :cool:

Telling someone traffic "backs up for hours" on the Gulf Freeway is not true. I've lived off that freeway for now 52 years and I drive it twice a day.

Remember, it's a Sunday morning and they are coming from San Antonio.

The travel time they should expect is 4 hours or so, but build in 20 minutes for the stop at Bucee's.

Follow the directions I gave and you will be fine. How about this; go to Transtar traffic cameras next Sunday and watch the flow from the sites all along the freeway. If you see a delay that is "hours" long then post it.

Houston navigation is not traumatic as long as you use the Beltway system, and even then the total time savings for this early in the morning would be around 30 minutes.

I live very close to I-10 and am probably not even 30 minutes from Seguin, so I guess it really is close to a 4 hr drive.

Ooh... we'll definitely make time for Bucees! After all, you have to pee it to believe it! :D

Thanks everyone!

Ironic! Our last cruise was right AFTER Ike, Carnival divered us to the junky port in Houston! But we've done a few outta Gal, you can make it in 3 1/2 provided you miss the junky Houston traffic! AND YES, they even get nasty traffic on weekends :-(

I am in the Clear Lake area. The only issue with traffic going south is a bottleneck from about Dixie Farm Rd to Bay Area. It gets pretty jammed from everybody heading down to the beach but, unless there's an accident, it's just slow..not stopped. Once you get through there, it should be clear sailing (pun intended).

Buy a roll of quarters and take the Tollway, definintely worth it!! If I remember correctly you will need three tolls both ways. I think it is 75 cents each stop....so roughly $4.50 total. (Unless fares went up). It will save you a lot of time. 4 hours is pretty accurate.

I live very close to I-10 and am probably not even 30 minutes from Seguin, so I guess it really is close to a 4 hr drive.

Ooh... we'll definitely make time for Bucees! After all, you have to pee it to believe it! :D

Thanks everyone!

Dumb question but...is the Toll way faster if you are on 45 headed for Galveston?

The one variable is what toll road you are talking about. If you take the Beltway 8 system it is smooth sailing with a few lights on the Northeast and East sides. In heavy traffic time this is the best option. I use this to commute home when I fly on business from Bush Airport.

The Hardy Toll Road will serve you better all other times.

Here's what I suggest:

• Exit the Hardy Toll Road (in the Woodlands area) and run it all the way to Loop 610.
  • Take 610 East around the Loop (no so scenic, but traffic moves well) and go over the Houston Ship Channel.
  • Pick up 45 South about 7 minutes after you cross over the channel
  • Get in the far left lane and run the freeway all the way to Galveston.
  • This will work best on non-peak afternoon drive times

Watch your speed on the Hardy Toll Road, enforcement has picked up recently.

Buy a roll of quarters and take the Tollway, definintely worth it!! If I remember correctly you will need three tolls both ways. I think it is 75 cents each stop....so roughly $4.50 total. (Unless fares went up). It will save you a lot of time. 4 hours is pretty accurate.

The waste of Harris County continues to force tolls up. Bring $6 at least...

We usually do the Beltway 8.

The one variable is what toll road you are talking about. If you take the Beltway 8 system it is smooth sailing with a few lights on the Northeast and East sides. In heavy traffic time this is the best option. I use this to commute home when I fly on business from Bush Airport.

The Hardy Toll Road will serve you better all other times.

Here's what I suggest:

• Exit the Hardy Toll Road (in the Woodlands area) and run it all the way to Loop 610.
  • Take 610 East around the Loop (no so scenic, but traffic moves well) and go over the Houston Ship Channel.
  • Pick up 45 South about 7 minutes after you cross over the channel
  • Get in the far left lane and run the freeway all the way to Galveston.
  • This will work best on non-peak afternoon drive times

Watch your speed on the Hardy Toll Road, enforcement has picked up recently.

Archived