Dead Sea

Petra is about 2 hours from the ship. The journey to Petra is quite interesting - plenty to see, especially the Bedouin farmers. There is, of course, a long walk then to get to Petra itself, but really worth it (in my opinion).

I think the Dead Sea trip is longer.

ok thanks probably will do Petra as DH really wants to do it. I am just concerned about the walk there and back.

Petra is a unique sight (and site for that matter!) and well worth the effort. Unless you have mobility problems the walk is not really a problem. On the way down the guides make frequent stops to show points on interest. You make your own way back at your own pace - suggest you time how long it takes to get to the Treasury on the way down and factor that into your return - to ensure you get back for the (very good) lunch at the Movenpick hotel.

Petra is a unique sight (and site for that matter!) and well worth the effort. Unless you have mobility problems the walk is not really a problem. On the way down the guides make frequent stops to show points on interest. You make your own way back at your own pace - suggest you time how long it takes to get to the Treasury on the way down and factor that into your return - to ensure you get back for the (very good) lunch at the Movenpick hotel.

And don't forget to allow MORE time to get back As it is uphill:eek:

There are horses and carts to get back up, but think they are quite pricey!

We went two years ago, hadn't taken enough Jordanian money with us so walked back - phew!!:D

Agree the meal was great, but don't advise a having a beer. OH had small can - 33cl and it cost £4 - that's £12 a pint:eek:

And don't forget to allow MORE time to get back As it is uphill:eek:

There are horses and carts to get back up, but think they are quite pricey!

We went two years ago, hadn't taken enough Jordanian money with us so walked back - phew!!:D

Agree the meal was great, but don't advise a having a beer. OH had small can - 33cl and it cost £4 - that's £12 a pint:eek:

There is a 22% tax on alcohol in Jordan, Linda.

Best to stick to soft drinks

Have done both Petra and the Dead Sea. Nothing really to add to what has already been said about Petra - it's amazing but have got to say that we had the laugh of our lives at the Dead Sea. It's all true about being able to lie back and just float but what we didn't know is just how difficult it then is to stand up! That's when our laughing started. My friend got the total mud treatment, thinking we were all behind her in the queue - how wrong she was!!! Enjoyed it just as much as Petra but for different reasons - can't quite remember the journey time but it was about as long as all the other coach trips on the Red Sea Cruise.

Sandie

I have done the salt lakes in Cape Verdi which is similar to the Dead Sea (everyone said that you couldn't sink there either but I did:eek: ) Really enjoyed it and like you said Sandie it is a great laugh and your skin feels a lot softer afterwards. I would like to say that I have been in the Dead Sea and had the mud treatment (Mind you I'd probably sink again) but it will probably be Petra that we visit

Have done both Petra and the Dead Sea. Nothing really to add to what has already been said about Petra - it's amazing but have got to say that we had the laugh of our lives at the Dead Sea. It's all true about being able to lie back and just float but what we didn't know is just how difficult it then is to stand up! That's when our laughing started. My friend got the total mud treatment, thinking we were all behind her in the queue - how wrong she was!!! Enjoyed it just as much as Petra but for different reasons - can't quite remember the journey time but it was about as long as all the other coach trips on the Red Sea Cruise.

Sandie

Yes the Dead sea is fun, never laughed so much, but if you want to buy Dead Sea products, buy in Aqaba, much cheaper. The Ahava products are really lovely.

Archived