This is a cruise I would like

CLEMM

A round trip from a U.S. port to Europe & back would be heaven as those long haul flights are so hard for those of us that hate to fly. In 2005, we did a transatlantic crossing on the Connie and not only did it include some of the Carribbean, but also Funchal, Lisbon, Paris (LeHavre), and ended up in London (Dover). A lot of ports for little money as a repositioning cruise. And, you had the best of both worlds with that itinerary. The ship was not full and my elderly dad who was with us, had a difficult time with the pull out bed hurting his back. One trip to customer relations and my dad was given an inside stateroom for FREE. Now that is the kind of service that Celebrity is known for! Just wish they had such a good itinerary these days as they all seem to be about the same. A round trip with no flying would be heaven as well!

Our favourite cruise to date was our LA-Hawaii-LA roundtrip on the Summit, and while we did have to fly Toronto-LA-Toronto, it cut out the Hawaii-LA portion of the flight. The 8 days at sea were also heavenly; we've never been so relaxed.

We would take a NY/NJ round trip any day! And it would be even better than one out of LA as we could drive to the port!

For what it's (not!) worth, I think the OP has a great idea. We love transatlantic repositioning cruises and would jump at an opportunity to do a roundtrip crossing in spring or fall (especially from NJ) that included some time in Europe. Yes, it's an unorthodox itinerary for Celebrity but I particularly like the idea because it's thinking out of the box and that's exactly what a cruise line like X should be doing. I'm not so sure filling the ship would be an issue, especially if such a cruise were to be marketed as both a roundtrip crossing and two cruises independent of each other with one, a one-way eastbound crossing with European ports and the other, European ports with a one-way westbound crossing. Hope someone at X reads this thread and while the idea may never come to fruition, it wouldn't be such a bad idea to bring it to the table for some discussion.

Oops... Changed my mind! You won me over... Great idea! X probably won't do it mind you, IMHO they're terrible 'stick in the muds' when it comes to itineraries... But a good idea, if there are enough with 3-4 week time and finance. Reason: Caribbean and Alaska have gotten over run. As the cruise market matures with more and more repeaters, there will be more and more demand for itineraries like this among those that have 'been there, done that' in those other regions. Unfortunately, X will be a late comer to this route development - they already are. Hal and Princess are far more 'exotic' in there intinerary scope. X will come around... eventually. Keep screamin';)

This less than heavily overburdened thread had the OP saying he wants to cruise to the Med from NJ. Then others chime in and say they'd love a UK/Greenland/Iceland route... so the original idea is commercially feasible in their opinion (but goodbye OP Med cruiser). Other want particular ships and routes...

Of course the line only needs to confirm a couple thousand fare to make this armchair travelling feasible - in reality - but what do they know... about product demand (and increased operating costs on routes that don't repeat)...

Of course, any number of transatlantic repos can be made r/t (last year, this year, and next) by simply adding a one way on Cunard's regular Southhampton-NYC runs. But the claimed commercial demand for such travel is SO Darned firm and abundant (it's said here) that no one here has actually done that... ;)

As others have said, Celebrity is the product we like. My husband and I spent three hours yesterday looking at Cunard and trying to convince ourselves it was an option but, in the end, it was not Celebrity. [We were so lucky to find Celebrity first or we may never have taken to cruising.]

It is also not the same to do the round trip on different ships.

Sue

Yes, I would do the proposed r/t US to Europe and back on Century, but I would prefer if it was the Connie. And I would do it from Baltimore, or NJ or even Boston, which hasn't been mentioned as an option but has some appeal, or Ft. Lauderdale, or any US port.

Make it the Connie, and I'm there in a heartbeat! This would be my dream! Actually any Celebrity ship and any east coast port would do. That long flight over the ocean just doesn't appeal to me, although I have booked a TA next September. The ports are just too good to pass up, but I would cancel in a minute if there was a roundtrip available on Celebrity.

Celebrity.....puh-leese listen!

Archived