Driving into Mobile, need advice etc..

scrapmamma

We are very excited about our first cruise in November on the Elation.

However, we are wondering if anyone had some advice on the best place to stay and where to park our vehicle.

I remember reading somewhere that someone stayed close enough to walk to the ship and not have to get caught in traffic mess there.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks all!

Yes, the Hampton has a secure parking lot and the cruise package includes free parking for the duration of your cruise. The price of the package depends on the size/style of room you select. The hotel offers a shuttle booking for $5pp each way. We chose to take the easy, 10-minute walk to the cruise port. Hampton will give you a paper with the walking directions on it when you check in. :)

Do you guys feel the Hampton Inn is pretty safe? Is there an attendant there 24/7 or is it a locked lot?

Felt VERY safe! The Hampton gets great reviews. :) The parking lot is locked and we had no hesitation or worry leaving our vehicle there for the week.

By the way, there is a Quizno's located in the hotel lobby. That is where we had dinner right after we checked-in.

The Hampton is very nice.

We usually stay across the street at the Marriot Renaissance River View on a park and cruise package. They shuttle you both ways as part of the deal. You park in the City garage connected to the hotel. Have used it about 5 times and had NO problems to date. We have also always had a room over looking the port. Its kinda nice and exciting to wake up, look out and see your home away from home sitting there waiting on you!

I hav enever cruised out of Mobile, but up until a couple of years ago I had to drive through there several times per year. As you probably know the cruise terminal is just south of I-10 just west of the ship channel tunnel. There is a 5 mile long causway across the bay just east of the tunnel, and there are often accidents either in the tunnel or on the causway. If your driving in from the east and see traffic backed up on the causway, I strongly advise taking the Daphne exit and go north about 1 mile to the old Hwy 90 crossing and going around the long way. (Hwy 90 is a ground level highway and is often closed is a hurricane is on the way)

Ike

I hav enever cruised out of Mobile, but up until a couple of years ago I had to drive through there several times per year. As you probably know the cruise terminal is just south of I-10 just west of the ship channel tunnel. There is a 5 mile long causway across the bay just east of the tunnel, and there are often accidents either in the tunnel or on the causway. If your driving in from the east and see traffic backed up on the causway, I strongly advise taking the Daphne exit and go north about 1 mile to the old Hwy 90 crossing and going around the long way. (Hwy 90 is a ground level highway and is often closed is a hurricane is on the way)

Ike

Hwy 90 joined with Hwy 31 is locally called the Causeway. (Incidently the Causeway is where you can find great seafood restaurants.) It's not the "long way"; the 2 tunnels are side by side. There may be 1/2 mile between the Causeway and the Bayway, I-10, at a few points, but, mostly, they run side by side also. Yes, accidents sometimes block the Bayway, and, since it is more heavily traveled, they may occur more often. But accidents can also block the Causeway. Both are primarily bridges crossing the Bay; the Causeway just has some stretches on land between the bridges. The only time native Mobilians avoid one or the other is when we've heard there's a problem, which isn't that often. If you'll tune in to a local radio station when you get close, you'll get warnings to avoid one or the other if there are problems. (That works if you are not already on the Bayway or Causeway when the wreck happens.) Also police will try to block access and detour traffic around a wreck/problem as soon as possible. Neither has many options for getting off once you've started across, although the Causeway does have some places where you can pull off the road to wait for it to be cleared.

Archived