Rental Car tour - El Yunque & Plaza Las Americas Mall

Aletta80

Hi,

we (husband and I, young couple) have a few days in San Juan before our cruise, and I'm currently planning what to do there :-)

So, El Yunque sounds great, that's why we plan on renting a car to get there (we are staying in Old San Juan). Would it be possible to stop at the Plaza Las Americas Mall on the way back - concerning the safety of the area where the mall is (no clue about that) and the neighborhoods we would be travelling through - especially having in mind that it will most probably be dark when we'll return from the mall?

Or would it be safer to just go to El Yunque, return the rental car in the afternoon and take a cab to the mall afterwards?

Thanks,

Aletta

PS: I know, safety is always relative. But honestly, even driving through Miami at dark frightens me a bit...

Hi,

we (husband and I, young couple) have a few days in San Juan before our cruise, and I'm currently planning what to do there :-)

So, El Yunque sounds great, that's why we plan on renting a car to get there (we are staying in Old San Juan). Would it be possible to stop at the Plaza Las Americas Mall on the way back - concerning the safety of the area where the mall is (no clue about that) and the neighborhoods we would be travelling through - especially having in mind that it will most probably be dark when we'll return from the mall?

Or would it be safer to just go to El Yunque, return the rental car in the afternoon and take a cab to the mall afterwards?

Thanks,

Aletta

PS: I know, safety is always relative. But honestly, even driving through Miami at dark frightens me a bit...

The mall is right off 2 huge highways.... easy in, easy out. You aren't driving through a neighborhood. But depending on the time of day, you may hit rush hour (4:30-6p), which makes it painful with so much traffic.

Also, the route back from El Yunque to OSJ doesn't take you near Plaza Las Americas, not directly -- you would have to change roads a few times, and with the horrible signage here... eek! :) IMO, if you have plenty of time, use up a whole day for El Yunque & maybe Luquillo beach, and go to PLA another day.

Now, my (unrequested :D) opinion regarding Plaza: if you live anywhere near a large shopping mall, PLA offers little of interest IMO. Most of the stores are US chains, and it looks like any mall anywhere. There are a few local stores, and some kiosks selling crafts and local candy, but you will have those by the dozen in OSJ. There's a food court with, again, mostly US chain eateries (a few local sandwich shops), some sit down restaurants (Mexican, Argentinian, sushi and Chinese are the only ones NOT part of a US chain) and a cineplex. Like I said, this is my opinion only and I know there are others who differ from me, so take what fits and leave the rest :) ;)

Thanks for your opinions... we are still a bit undecided whether we'll go to the mall the same day.

But we definitely want to go shopping - we are not from the US, but from Germany, and - honestly - shopping for clothes is MUCH better in the US, so I am quite happy with 'just the normal US stores' as I only get to see them once in a while ;-)

(My only problem will be the airline's luggage restriction...)

But we definitely want to go shopping - we are not from the US, but from Germany, and - honestly - shopping for clothes is MUCH better in the US, so I am quite happy with 'just the normal US stores' as I only get to see them once in a while ;-)

Ah, then I change my answer to yes, go to the mall! :D Before we had all those stores here, one of my favorite things to do when I went to the US was to go to a mall :). Hope you enjoy your shopping day!

Archived