Alcohol in Space Saver Bag?

globe9

Don't plan on smuggling much, but was thinking about maybe trying to 6 plastic or aluminum beer bottles onboard to enjoy while in the cabin. I just bought a 21" upright to replace my HUGE garment bag and am now trying to pack a little lighter. Picked up some space saver bags the other day to help get more clothes in the 21" when I had a lightbulbmoment:D I wonder if I could put 3 bottles(again plastic or aluminum) inside some shorts or a shirt and then put into the space saver bag and roll the air out. Would this make the smuggled items less likely to be found or to much of a pain in the butt to even bother removing? Would check the luggage as well.

Any ideas on this? Could be a totally dumb idea as well. Have never smuggled before, but this will be the first time we've had a balcony instead of an OV and are planning on spending quite a bit of time out there. If I drank wine, the one bottle would be fine, but I don't like wine. Wish we could bring 1 six pack on board in place of wine.

Anyway, has anyone ever tried the space saver idea?

Checked luggage is definitely the way to go. I think they tell you to bring your wine/sodas in the carryon luggage b/c it's MUCH easier to find smuggled items in a carryon. That's not to say that they can't find smuggled items in checked luggage, but why make it easier for them?:D

Not sure 3 bottles of beer is worth the effort.

Doug

Not 3 bottles...Was thinking more like a 6 pack with the aluminum or plastic bottles. May also put another 6 pack in the GF's bag too.

Beer is actually quite expensive when you look at it relatively speaking...a bucket of beer(includes 4 beers) is $21 and some change...I can get two 12 packs at home for that.

But it's not so much about the price as much as it is the convenience of having a 6 pack in the room for chilling on the balcony.

edited to add: ok...see where ya got 3 bottles. Should have been more clear. I have 2 space saver bags, so 3 bottles per bag, which would equal a 6 pack in total.

When I read this, I went - ding, ding, ding! Last cruise we just used RR's and intermingled in clothing. We had crazy fog issues w/ Conquest, so I don't know if that's the reason everything made it through or not, for us and others traveling with us. It was crazy that day and there were SO many people upset about the weather issues (like Carnival set the weather dial to screw with us!), so debark and embark were completely fubared to say the least!

Anyway, I used the space saver bags myself (the roll out the air ones, not the vacuum ones) and now you've got me thinking!! LOL :D

Be careful... we're more likely than not to get chastised and berated for even thinking about it, but don't let it get to you. Some people here have apparently been knighted or some such crap that we must take their s**t and go sit in the corner like a shamed child. I guess what I do on my vacation weighs heavily on how well they enjoy theirs. Do what you want, and THANK YOU for a new thought process! :cool:

To much trouble for beer! Just grab a bucket and head to the cabin/balcony;) the cabin steward will even keep it iced up for you:D

Now a few bottles of Rum in rumrunners:D Enjoy your cruise!

Unless it's beer that they don't serve on ship.:D

OP - you can just use gallon ziploc bags instead of space bags. This will still hold the liquid in case the bottles break, but if you want to use the bags and put clothes around the bottles thinking the scanners won't see the bottles, think again. The scanners can see right past clothes and pick up on the different shapes in the carryons.

I applaud your ingenuity with the thought on the space saver bags!:cool:

My only concern is they might still be easier to see on the scanners since they are in plastic (heavier than the rum runner flasks) or aluminum.

Try it out and let us know how it goes!

Thanks for all of the replies.

I already own 2 space saver bags(the travel kind where you roll the air out).

Would put my shorts/shirts/pants in these bags, just as I normally would, but figured I'd also throw 3 bottles in EACH bag(so a 6 pack). Maybe in the legs of the pants or shorts. I do realize the x-ray machine would still be able to tell I had bottles in there. Was mainly hoping they wouldn't bother as much since it would be much more of a pain in the butt to remove the offending objects than simply unzipping the luggage.

This luggage would be checked as well. I do think my odds are better with checked luggage than with a carry-on.

It's really not any trouble at all. I'm packing anyway. I'm using the space saver bags anyway. Just throwing in some extras;)

Would actually save me more than $20 as I plan on smuggling in about 12 beers now(6 in my bag and 6 in GF's bag)....that's about $60+ savings( 3 buckets of beer = $60+)...same savings as smuggling in a bottle of rum, vodka, etc. as that is how much an average bottle goes for from the Bon Voyage Dept.

It'll be nice to have a 12 pack in the cabin to enjoy on the balcony.

Just read a thread of someone who JUST left on Monday on the Triumph and ALL of his booze made it through...in checked, locked luggage. I'm gonna try it. Worse thing they can do is take them away from and then I'm only out $12.

BTW, someone at work told me to smuggle the beers in a boxes of tampons and pads:D He said no dude would ever go through those just to get some beers....only problem is I would need a whole LOT of tampons and pads LOL

Our last trip we were caught by the booze police. This was on Royal and we had wine (which they don't allow) and we had to go down and open our bags in front of security. No big deal really, just more of an inconvience than anything else.

I'm prepared for the inconvenience IF I do get caught. Someone had told me that they are a little more lax at some ports over others. From what I understand, NOLA is one of those lax ports. I don't know if this is true at all.

There was a segment on the local news a few months back about the local cruise industry. They were announcing the return of RCCL, the return of the Conquest, and the possibility of Celebrity and Princess using NOLA...they have already started renovating/building more terminals a little further down river. In this segment they said that the cruise industry LOVES New Orleans as a port because the average cruiser out of NOLA spends more money onboard than at any other port(USA)(it was almost 2 or 3 times more)....remember this is from a news segment I saw a few months ago...I cannot verify these details and they could be wrong. Just stating what I saw. I'm assuming most of these charges are for alcohol. Passengers leaving from NOLA do seem to "party" more. If these statements are indeed true, than I could understand NOLA being more lax. They're going to make their money regardless of smugglers.

Either way, I'll give it a whirl. If it gets confiscated. No big deal. If it doesn't. Great. Will keep ya posted!

If the xray machines can see through metal they will without a doubt see the bottles wrapped in clothing and space saver bags lol. Buying a space saver bag will cost as much as the 3 beers your trying to smuggle onboard lol

This is true, because I think I spent $15-20 bucks on my space saver bags....not worth the effort. Plus, what would be the purpose of using a space saver bag on any kind of bottle? Maybe I just don't get it...

~Regina

I would be more concerned that the bottles will leak. Put them in a ziplock bag first or you may have to do laundry when you get onboard. No one wants to smell like beer! :D

What are you talking about? I love smelling like eau de biere:D I will put them in small ziplock bags.

This is true, because I think I spent $15-20 bucks on my space saver bags....not worth the effort. Plus, what would be the purpose of using a space saver bag on any kind of bottle? Maybe I just don't get it...

~Regina

Wow, my space saver bags only cost $5 at Burlington. I would still use the bags for clothes...just put the bottles inside the clothes, inside the space saver, inside the suitcase. I think if I'm going to get away with it, I probably would without using the spacesaver, but I figure it can't hurt. Anything to up my odds.

Everyone keeps saying "not worth the effort." What effort? I already own a suitcase. I already own the space saver bags. I have to pack anyway. I am going to use the space savers anyway. How is putting a bottle in them an effort?

I concede, you may consider that "effort". I guess some would. I guess you won't be utilizing this method then:D

btw, someone at work told me to smuggle the beers in a boxes of tampons and pads:d he said no dude would ever go through those just to get some beers....only problem is i would need a whole lot of tampons and pads lol

nice!!!!!:d

Wow, my space saver bags only cost $5 at Burlington. I would still use the bags for clothes...just put the bottles inside the clothes, inside the space saver, inside the suitcase. I think if I'm going to get away with it, I probably would without using the spacesaver, but I figure it can't hurt. Anything to up my odds.

Everyone keeps saying "not worth the effort." What effort? I already own a suitcase. I already own the space saver bags. I have to pack anyway. I am going to use the space savers anyway. How is putting a bottle in them an effort?

I concede, you may consider that "effort". I guess some would. I guess you won't be utilizing this method then:D

I'm going to have to check out Burlington then for space saver bags. I had a hard time finding them in my area. I was going to order them but wanted to be able to return then quick if I didn't like them.

But I get your idea of putting the clothes and bottle all in the bag. I was thinking you were just putting the bottles in there with out the clothing. Haha...thats why I was like, "whats the purpose". Keep us posted if it works, we are on the Dream and I may try it out if it works for you.

~Regina

Hmmmmm. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the space saver bags. So I'm supposed to get a space saver bag that is close to the length and width dimensions of my suitcase, empty a couple of bottles of booze into it, close it up tight and lay it flat in the suitcase so it acts like a RR that is about an inch thick. That way it doesn't show up as a bottle on the scanner and I'm home free.

Cheers!

Ive been on seven ofCarnival's cruises and I used to use the ziploc freezer bags and put my Absolut or my Malibu. But since I havent cruised in more than four years and they talking bout you have to leave your bags unlocked at the pier I just ordered a bottle from the Bonvoyage Dept. This way I dont have the embarrasment n I still have my liquor for the room. And I dont have to give Carnival all my money to drink I can use it for my picture now. Even though that bottle was a little pricey.:)

Archived